Kawasaki Accessory Tachometer

Started by Pete, September 01, 2021, 08:10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucko

I have a 2001 Kawasaki Fire and Steel accessory booklet showing all the accessories.  Not sure where it currently is but I have it somewhere.  IIRC, I think it shows all Vulcan accessories (not just Drifter accessories).

Pete

Quote from: chief on September 03, 2021, 17:24:59 PM

Kawasaki had a tach for Vulcans but the quality was lacking according to many.

Thanks Chief. The Kawasaki tachos are the only ones that I'm looking at; I'm keeping my E2 in original trim except for Kawasaki accessories (plus panniers that can be unbolted).

One day I'll get around to finishing the list of Drifter accessories made by Kawasaki or authorised by them - but don't hold your breath.

Ride safe, live long and prosper.

chief

Drag Specialties, Baron, and older HD tachs have been used by many of our members.

Here is a mod write-up for the Drag Specialties tach.

https://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/draginstall.html

Also, tachs made for older HD's work on our bikes.

Lastly, Barons has a 2" and 3" handlebar mount. Some members believe the Baron's tach is better quality than the Drag.

https://www.baronscustom.com/catalog/display/501/index.html

Kawasaki had a tach for Vulcans but the quality was lacking according to many.
Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

Pete

Quote from: CARPE DIEM DRIFTER on September 01, 2021, 15:24:53 PM

Pete,K53020-340 is the Fire and Steel part number for this tachometer. The tach is listed for fitment on 800, 1500 and 1600 Kawasakies. I don't think a Drifter specific tach was offered. Happy Drifting, CDD

I think that you are probably right; I have seen two other sources that say the K53020-340 fits the Drifter, but I can't find it in a catalogue to be certain.

The one I have was taken from a scrapped VN1500 Nomad. I found instructions for the K53020-386, which covers the "VN1700 Nomad, Classic
and Classic LT".

A 2007 Kawasaki catalogue lists the K53020-340 as a fit for the 1600 Nomad. So that fits with the K53020-340 being the Drifter Tacho.

Thanks for your help.

CARPE DIEM DRIFTER

Pete,K53020-340 is the Fire and Steel part number for this tachometer. The tach is listed for fitment on 800, 1500 and 1600 Kawasakies. I don't think a Drifter specific tach was offered. Happy Drifting, CDD

Pete

I saw this Kawasaki tacho on ebay. It was taken from a Nomad. This design of accessory tacho has several variations of mounting hole spacings and wire-outs to cater for different models.
I bit of looking up of part numbers told me that the fore-aft bolt hole spacings were good, and the seller supplied the port-starboard spacing. So I knew it would fit. It was fairly likely that the electronics would work, so I got it.
It fits and works OK (did a temp wiring job to test it).

The bell-shaped rear end could do with re-chroming, but I won't do that until I've decided whether I like the extra clutter on the handlebars.

The good news is that any standard 60mm dia tacho-head will fit that housing, so if you can find one but the tacho doesn't work, replacing it is no problem. If you want to keep it original the correct tacho is still available from several suppliers.

Does anybody know the Kawasaki part number for the Drifter version of this?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk