Check that steering stem bolt!!!!!!

Started by Driftwood, April 14, 2017, 19:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenbarn

Quote from: Ernest on April 05, 2021, 16:07:22 PM

I understand this is an older topic.  I was doing research on here, as I was getting a clicking sound at slow speed during cornering.  After reading this topic, yes my steering stem bolt was totally loose. Hopefully tightening will correct the clicking sound.

I also found the pinch bolt on front axel was totally loose, it does not fall out cause gravity keeps it in place.

Earnest,  you might want to check the steering stem bearings too--   they are notorious for going out - and could cause your clicking sound.

No Worries

chief

Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

Ernest

I understand this is an older topic.  I was doing research on here, as I was getting a clicking sound at slow speed during cornering.  After reading this topic, yes my steering stem bolt was totally loose. Hopefully tightening will correct the clicking sound.

I also found the pinch bolt on front axel was totally loose, it does not fall out cause gravity keeps it in place.

Tfrank59

Well I just checked mine and it was dang tight. :D

Tom

'06 Drifter 800, '98 Valkyrie

"HD: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the pesky effects of horsepower."

Driftwood

Pilgrim

Believe I would have torqued it to spec...good reminder to check our stuff. Thanks

CDNRatMan

A prime reason to do periodical checks on your bike for somethings and a daily check for other items. On my 800 I check the chain prior to any long ride and if I have just been around town then I do it about every other day, on a long trip I check the chain every night before dark.

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

Driftwood

Idling at a stoplight and reached over and tested the bolt.  Came off in my hand!!  Made it home, but put blue loctite on it and tightened it with a monkey wrench.  Whew, that was scary!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk