New Project

Started by Troll, May 07, 2015, 18:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CDNRatMan

GB you are correct JH made the ride on a 1988 VMax, and he spent 5 months getting it ready for the ride.

About them cookies the trip here seemed to do no harm to them, but then they did not have to be handled by customs and immigrations, so yours just might not make it......they are really good with a nice hot cup of tea on a cold night.
49 thank your wonderful missus for the treats.......

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

greenbarn

Ya know, it occurred to me, if i remember correctly, or own  John Hopkins was riding a V-max when he did his tour for his book.  I believe it was a 1988, if I remember.

I was extremely honored to get a copy of the book from his daughter,  it just showed up.

Quote from: 49Reo on May 18, 2015, 17:48:00 PM

The wife makes a killer peanut butter cookie......go great with coffee...... better than donuts.....healthy.....peanuts.....mmmmm...... ;D

So, 49, how well do those cookies travel??   
No Worries

Troll

Mr. V-Max called me today and asked if I would do fork seals on it for him....He bought the parts and decided it was a little too much for him to handle...Looks like he's financing my Drift-In trip this year!

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

49Reo

Quote from: pcarrell on May 18, 2015, 18:11:00 PM

If the last guy brings the beer, then we all have to sit around waiting for him to show up!  Not so smart maybe?

Yeah, but at least the last guy in would GET a beer......

02 Drifter 1500, 02 Softail Frankenstein Trike.."Beauty" and "The Beast"

"If you don't believe your country should come before yourself, Ya can better serve your country, by living somewhere else."  In memory, Stompin' Tom Connors
RIP

Troll

Stopped drinking anything with alcohol in it in 1980....

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

pcarrell

If the last guy brings the beer, then we all have to sit around waiting for him to show up!  Not so smart maybe?

49Reo

The wife makes a killer peanut butter cookie......go great with coffee...... better than donuts.....healthy.....peanuts.....mmmmm...... ;D

Jeez, we sound like a bunch of old women....... :o  whatever happened to "last guy in brings the beer?".... ::)

"If you don't believe your country should come before yourself, Ya can better serve your country, by living somewhere else."  In memory, Stompin' Tom Connors
RIP

Troll

pcarrell

They're the "diet" donuts! ;D

Troll

49Reo

RIP

Troll

Never can have too many friends....Bring Coffee....

CDNRatMan

;D  I get to say it first...Hey get in line Bucko.......lol....

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

Bucko

Hey Troll, looking for any more friends ?  ;D ;D

Troll

Soooo, today I went over to the guy's house with the carbs, and helped him change the starter clutch. The bike has been siting since 2012, so it really needs some TLC. He had a puller he bought at a local auto parts place and couldn't get the alt. rotor off with it. We got serious and broke the puller in two. I went home and got my G.M. real thing professional quality puller and we had the rotor off in about 5 mins. The roller clutch was cracked exactly where the picture he got from the internet said it would be. We put it back together, dumped the "oil" and installed the carb. assy. New gas, anew oil and freshly reman carbs...The thing fired up instantly, just like it had only been sitting over night. I hadn't heard one of these run in a while...forgot how crappy they sound. Nice smooth idle @ 1,000 rpm, jazz the throttle, and the thing just jumps....but it sounds like ....$#!+!

Troll

You could say that, but consider this is the fueling part of the Yamaha V-Boost system that was a revolution when it hit the streets back in '85...Yes, it's complicated, but it also makes LOTS of power!

KEN.

Well there's the beauty of a single carb....KEN.

Troll

I took this on as a money maker for a friend. I'm charging him well below what a dealer or specialty shop would charge. This is the carb. rack off a 2001 Yamaha V-Max. This bike has not run in many years, and everything, and I do mean everything on these carbs was stuck. Several days of soaking the screws in WD-40 and then using a hand impact driver with a set of JIS anti-cam out screwdriver bits, and I finally got them all apart. I got complete gasket sets but the carb slide diaphragms are $105 each... Two of them had holes in them, so I patched them with liquid rubber and let them set up over night. So far, they seem to be holding vacuum...no guarantees.. It's been a while since I got back into this stuff, so, even though it took me more time than it should have, I got it done. I'm glad that the guy never tried to start the bike when he got it, the bowl gaskets on two of the carbs were missing completely. Nice thing is all the parts are available, not so nice thing is how much they cost....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk