Status Update

Started by rob f, February 24, 2021, 09:16:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob f

yes, I am rethinking the no windshield deal because of the bugs also. If i lived in the city and didn't plan on going more than 50kph ( 30mph) i probably would take it off. However all my driving is in the country and on some gravel roads. While most of our insects are small here, i cringe at hitting a large Grasshopper at 60mph. Those prehistoric MF's have creeped me out since i was a kid.
I may however remove my lowers , windshield extensions and maybe trim down the plexiglass. Not sure what shape and style windshield would keep the retro look . Will look at photos and see what others are running.

greenbarn

Glad you're keeping her, too.  I took off the windshield from the 800 when I re-did her a couple years ago.  I love the look,  but hate the bugs and stones and wind and rain and stuff.  I use the 1500 for longer rides, though, with the original retro-style F&S (same as on the 800).

SO I enjoy the looks of the no-windscreen look on the 800,  but I'm thinking of putting the screen back on it.  I guess I'll probably wait until I plan to ride it for a longer ride again, instead of the 1500, or until I get hit in the face with the next big beetle. 

No Worries

T14b

Glad to hear you're keeping her!

mittico68

Happy to know that you're still alive!  ;)
And, most of all, that your brain is well kickin'...
I mean, it would have been a real murder to sell the Drifter: IMHO, Drifters are way cool bikes because of their vintage Indian-style (and their reliability).
That's why I own my 800 Drifter since 1999!
And, just to answer your question. I do also like to ride with no windhield on, as this way the bike is more performing and, as you said, looks even sharper!  8)

I love my swingin' bike!

rob f

My last post was a long time ago and  i suppose a few of you thought that i maybe was taken out by Covid or worse yet....... sold my Drifter.
To be honest, I am pretty much done tinkering with the bike. After many attempts to gain more power for highway cruising I finally came to the realization that 800cc's can only give so much.
I ended up buying a 2005 kawi vn1600 to satisfy my need for speed. The Drifter was but up on blocks and insurance pulled for 2020. I was this close " " to selling it but slapped myself and came to my senses. After watching a string of YouTube Videos on Drifters in general, i realized that these bikes are becoming rarer all the time and seem to be quite sought after.
I have decided to keep the old gal after all and reinsure it for 2021. It won't be getting many km's on it but at least it is there when i get  the "Drool for Cool" itch.
Speaking of cool... i ended up pulling my windshield off to see how it affected my performance, and did that ever make the bike look sharp!  I may just leave it off for good as now i will be just putting around town and low speed secondary roads.

Curious as to how many of you guys run without a windshield and what styles of windshields are out there that match the retro look? I have seen a few with Batwing fairings but it just looked "Wrong"  My vision of retro cool is, no windshield, a leather aviators cap and big old goggles. Unfortunately we have helmet laws here :'(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk