How to find TDC

Started by drifter-paul, February 05, 2024, 02:31:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chief

Okay that's what I needed. Here's some info which may help. I haven't done this for my Drifter, but have in other bikes.

1. Remove all the plugs except for one in the test cylinder. Using your thumb, partially plug the open plug hole on the test cylinder.

2. Manually turn/bump the engine over until you feel resistance and continue until resistance builds to get a feel for the max compression point. If you have done this before, you know how to manually turn the engine.

3. To verify, you can turn the engine a revolution or two until you get back to the max compression point you felt earlier.

That should be close enough to TDC to do a leakdown test.

Some people have used a long wooden dowel inserted into the test cylinder plug hole to determine when the cylinder is at the top (be careful).  You can use a flashlight to look into the plug hole to get closer to TDC if you want/need to do so.

Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

drifter-paul

Thanks Chief, I located my Clymer 1996-98 manual, for a Leak down test , it says find TDC . I'm looking for a simpler way than removing the cylinder  head cover and eyeballing the valves, or removing the timing cover .

e.g.
All cylinders will fire once within two complete crank revolutions on a four stroke engine. They won't all fire at the same time, but in two revolutions the pistons have moved through top dead center twice - once on the compression stroke, and once on the exhaust stroke ...

But how can I tell which stroke it is TDC for ??

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

chief

Sorry you haven't gotten an answer.

Can you tell me what you are doing so I can find the info for you?

I can copy some shop manual pages for you and send pdf's via email. (Can also sell you a Kaw manual if you want one. I realize the postage may be serious consideration for you!)

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

drifter-paul

No Chief ,
haven't been able to find my original doco from last time , so I am asking here .
Thnx

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

chief

Did you get this resolved?  

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

drifter-paul

How do I set cylinder for TDC .
Can't find it here doing searches
Thanks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk