Making a Drifter a 3 Wheeler

Started by CousinVinnie, September 08, 2023, 21:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mittico68

I've got a 1999 Drifter 800.
Two years ago (more or less...), one of the rear blinker's rubber just passed away.
So I've put 4 new after market blinkers on.

I love my swingin' bike!

OR Seedman

I still have the original 2001 turn signals on my 1500...at 42,000 miles.  still no cracking or separation...but I do store the bike inside at all times when not riding....I really believe that leaving a motorcycle out in the weather ages it very quickly....I just have to look at a few other bikes in my neighborhood that are left outside year-round....all look like they are much older and worn than their model year....

OR Seedman

CousinVinnie

Well, my Jewell has been in MN for about 2 weeks.  Norm at Endeavor just posted on YouTube about his new build season starting and I got to see my bike from over 500 miles away.  In the video he said that he will crack into it this coming week.  Just for you guys I left him the Drifter maintenance manual in case of problems.

PS: Has anyone noticed that the aftermarket OEM style front turn signals have separation issue?  Both mine gave out on the way to MN 2 weeks ago.  Turns out the rubber dries out and separated from the steel core.  They were just dangling when I got there. Norm used 3M 08115 body stuff on them to put em back on.
Those parts are at least 17 years old and stay in warehouses until we buy them.

Addendum: Jewell has been up at Endeavor Trikes for one month.  Norm, the owner and only employee, shot 1 video last week with plans for the build and today, Oct 29, he posted another and he is well on his way to making Jewell a trike! With luck, I will be able to get him back at the end of November or beginning of December. I will post pics here as soon as I can.

Addendum#2:  Another video has been posted by Endeavor Trikes. The build has gotten so far as to have all the bodywork completed and will probably go in to paint on Nov 6.  He is working hard to keep the Drifter styling with the valanced front fenders and although they aren't quite as full as the single OEM fender. Overall, its looking very good. Check it out.

Addendum #3: Jewell is fast on his way to being a trike. New video shot Wednesday show him with 2 front wheels and all the running gear in place. Norm says that the bodywork will go to paint on Fri, Nov. 3.  If all goes well he should be complete by the middle of November.  I am keeping the original Gooseberry paint and trim scheme. My bikes triple tree was signed at Drift-In 2010 by Denny Berg himself, THE CREATOR so I think it should stay in the original paint.  My VIN is 0105, a low number and t came off the line December 1998 for those who care about age.

Addendum #4:  Jewell is not back yet.  However, he is now roadworthy and tested.  Issue is with painter and his timing. The new painter is in a body shop with priorities on jobs. My Drifter is a secondary job. I have been informed that paint should be done prior to Thanksgiving.  That said, I am not holding my breath. Overall,, the job looks pretty good and I am pleased with what's happening.

Addendum #5: The conversion is complete.  Looks awesome.  Will be getting Jewell this weekend 8-10 December. The styling is right on the money.

The Original Cousin Vinnie
99 Drifter (Jewell)Signed by Denny Berg
00 Drifter (Gracie) Saved from the scrap heap

JagLite

That's really neat!
We look forward to seeing how the conversion looks with the Drifter style.

Attitude:
The difference between
Ordeal and ADVENTURE

CousinVinnie

This is for all of you out there who are getting long in the tooth and short on Balance.  I have found a guy in New Prague, MN who does conversions to bigger bikes. Its Endeavor Trikes....Look em up. He has been in business about 9 years and its a patented process.  The end result is 2 in front 1 in the rear, like the Can Am Spyders. The cost is 12,500 for the whole thing. You take the bike up there.

I am having my 99 converted in Oct-Dec. I will post pics when its done.

Like Like x 2 View List
The Original Cousin Vinnie
99 Drifter (Jewell)Signed by Denny Berg
00 Drifter (Gracie) Saved from the scrap heap

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk