Still won't start after replacing fuel pump

Started by lefecious, May 17, 2023, 16:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim

We are privileged to have such wisdom on this site.

Troll

VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION: Do you hear the fuel pump run for 2 seconds after you turn on the key? After having this happen to mine, I am very suspicious of the older ign. switches. There is a signal wire that runs to the ECM that carries a verifying voltage. It's a very small signal, and is there just to prevent the fuel pump from running if the ign. switch has been bypassed. It's listed as unused, pin # 20, and is in the A terminal block. If the ign. switch fails to send the proper signal to the ECM, the pump will NOT run. There are two wires for the fuel pump. One is B+ and the other is ground. The ECM switches the ground on and off. IF the pump does not run, determine which wire is "hot", and which is ground. Turn on the ign. and ground the wire that is NOT HOT! This should turn on the fuel pump. You can leave the jumper in place and try to start the engine. What you are essentially doing is bypassing the ECM's fuel pump control ckt.

Like Like x 1 Agree Agree x 1 View List
Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

gwilki

Quote from: lefecious on May 18, 2023, 19:32:17 PM

I think I must have spark because when he sprayed the starter fluid it did "run" for like half a second.

If I didn't have spark, it would just crank and not ignite at all, correct?

Sorry, I understood from your first post that it never started. It just "tried to".

Chief has given you excellent information.

In reply to your question, if it ran briefly, clearly some spark is there. I would still check to see if all plugs are firing, though. It's an easy thing to check and you have nothing to lose.

chief

Quote from: lefecious on May 18, 2023, 19:33:04 PM

Looks like I need to do some research. I don't even know how to check for efi codes. Thanks for the direction though! At least now I have something to check.

Here is some info to help:

This is the main area for electrical and electronic mods/tips.

In there is a link to the Mods index for Electrical The page you are looking for is the ECU Faults write-up.

https://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/ECUFaultCodes.html

I did the long version  of this to help direct other members who read this in the future.

Cheers. 

Agree Agree x 1 View List
Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

lefecious

Quote from: chief on May 18, 2023, 12:44:36 PM

Are you getting any efi error codes?

Looks like I need to do some research. I don't even know how to check for efi codes. Thanks for the direction though! At least now I have something to check.

lefecious

Quote from: gwilki on May 18, 2023, 06:42:57 AM

Do you have spark?

I think I must have spark because when he sprayed the starter fluid it did "run" for like half a second.

If I didn't have spark, it would just crank and not ignite at all, correct?

chief

Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

gwilki

lefecious

Hi all, drifter 1500 sat for years and I'm trying to resurrect it

So far I've cleaned out the fuel tank with vinegar, tested and cleaned the injectors, and replaced the fuel pump and battery.

Tried you start it but it cranks but won't catch idle.

I had a buddy spray some starter fluid into the air intake and it sounded like it was going to start. But only for half a second.

What else can I try?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk