Replacing fuel pump questions

Started by lefecious, February 05, 2023, 21:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troll

All it does is control the low fuel light. If yours doesn't work, it's just a minor inconvenience. The fuel gauge sender is in the OTHER box under the tank, and is a separate device, entirely.

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

Troll

Quote from: lefecious on February 27, 2023, 23:09:24 PM

Thank you!  With a little research I discovered it's called a thermistor.  But it's not easy to find a replacement.  I've found some for hondas but I read that hondas use 10kohm and kawasaki needs 1kohm.  I don't even know what that means but it sounded like they're not interchangeable.

Also, I should've replaced the gasket.  It was borderline, and I put the whole thing together and put gas in it and sure enough, it leaked.  So I ordered the gasket and now I have to take everything apart again.

Considering that the original gasket is 24 years old, and was designed for single use, only, I would have never even considered using it over again. It's the only thing keeping the fuel off the engine.

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

lefecious

Quote from: Troll on February 08, 2023, 15:43:58 PM

The little cylinder mounted on the bracket, is the low fuel light sensor. On mine (2001) it's a little different and has a blue wire connected to it.

Thank you!  With a little research I discovered it's called a thermistor.  But it's not easy to find a replacement.  I've found some for hondas but I read that hondas use 10kohm and kawasaki needs 1kohm.  I don't even know what that means but it sounded like they're not interchangeable.

Also, I should've replaced the gasket.  It was borderline, and I put the whole thing together and put gas in it and sure enough, it leaked.  So I ordered the gasket and now I have to take everything apart again.

Troll

The little cylinder mounted on the bracket, is the low fuel light sensor. On mine (2001) it's a little different and has a blue wire connected to it.

Like Like x 1 View List

Bucko

Quote from: lefecious on February 06, 2023, 20:50:46 PM

It doesn't explain what the little cylinder is.  I'm guessing maybe something to do with the fuel guage, because I didn't see any kind of float assembly in there so I'm not sure how it knows how much gas is in the tank

I've never had my tank apart so not sure what in there, but I'll just throw this out there.... there are aftermarket fuel 'senders' that work by sensing the 'standing' pressure at the bottom (or some reference point) of the fuel tank, i.e. more fuel = more pressure.

chief

Have a look at the gasket. It can be reused if it is still in good shape... but honestly after this 20+ years I'd change it. (I'm assuming the "grommet" is the rubber gasket used to seal the tank. )

The strainer... you might be able to adapt one of the provided strainer bags to fit the old frame. I don't find any part number for the strainer. 

Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

lefecious

Thanks for the responses.  I'll look for the grommet.  I found one for 48 bucks, which seems kind of steep for a piece of rubber, but that's the price you pay when you ride a 20+ year old obscure bike I guess.

Quantum Fuel Systems has one for less but the picture is completely wrong. I know the part often looks different from the one in the photos but my trust in Quantum has gone down after today.  The replacement fuel pump I bought from them had the wrong strainer.  it's exactly the same issue that a user here experienced years ago:
https://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/index.php/topic,43450.msg97256.html#msg97256

If you read the final post in that thread by thenamos, he says he emailed them about the issue and they sent him the right strainer, along with a new pump to keep as a spare.  I ordered from them because of that post.  And when the same thing happened to me I emailed them about it and today I got a response via email that says "Unfortunately, we do not stock that OEM strainer."

If they don't have that strainer then maybe they shouldn't list it as compatible with the 1999 drifter.

Now I have to decide if it's worth my time to fight over a partial refund.  Probably not.

I do have the shop manual though.  It doesn't explain what the little cylinder is.  I'm guessing maybe something to do with the fuel guage, because I didn't see any kind of float assembly in there so I'm not sure how it knows how much gas is in the tank

chief

I don't think there is a write-up on fuel pump on the site. Were I you, I'd purchase a manual. We have them in the Classifieds/Manuals area: Manuals

The pump comes as a unit so the pieces on the unit aren't labeled, nor do they have part numbers. (Attached pdf)

The rubber gasket should be replaced. You don't want to have to do this again if there is a leak.  The gasket PN -  11060-1929. Same for all years and several other models.  Found it on partszilla.

Not sure if the Quantum pumps come with the gaskets. You might want to ask them.  Looks like Quantum has a couple of configurations including one with a new pressure regulator.  Also 99/00 is a different model. It is supposed to be drop-in with easy installation. I am considering getting one just to do a write-up on the replacement.
1999 Vulcan 1500 Drifter Fuel Pump(VN1500-J1).pdf
Agree Agree x 1 View List
Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

mittico68

I'm not a mechanic and I do not even own a 1500 Drifter (mine is an 800), but I hope you won't dislike my 1.5 cents...
I'd go this way:
1- buy a 1500 maintenance manual and take a look at the proper chapter;
2- ask to your local mechanic, even though he'd not know anything about our Drifters;
3- buy a new rubber grommet, anyway (try on ebay or amazon, or something like that).

I love my swingin' bike!

lefecious

Trying to resurrect my drifter that sat for years. Removed the tank and cleaned out the rust. Learned from this forum that quantum fuel systems sells a replacement fuel pump for around 90 bucks so I thought I may as well replace that too while I have the tank off.

My first question is what is that little cylinder all the way on the right side of this photo?  The one with the wire coming out of it?  It seems delicate, and the wire moves loosely inside there.  Just wondering what this thing is and if that's supposed to move like that?

Second question is do I really have to replace that rubber grommet at the bottom of the pic?  If so, where can I get one?

Also, is there a page that tells you how to do this replacement job?  I found an old post on here that had a link to such a page but the link is no longer valid.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk