What is this? (Dash mount ignition switch)

Started by Dcall, January 02, 2023, 16:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mittico68

Quote from: Troll on January 03, 2023, 13:31:28 PM

Your 800 does not need the inline resistor that is required with the injected 1500. The switch doesn't fail, the extra wiring does

Sorry to have to prove you wrong, but I've had to put that inline resistor, too.
And it took me a lot, before understanding that was the only reason why I couldn't figure it out for the hell of it!
And for the extra wiring, I hope it won't fail, ever!  ;)

I love my swingin' bike!

53Indian

Standard Harley switch, easy and cheap enough to replace.
Can see why someone would do that, original ignition /choke is a pain. 

Dcall

I think if I can find a cover plate  stock or something cooler. I will remove it. 

Agree Agree x 1 View List

Troll

Your 800 does not need the inline resistor that is required with the injected 1500. The switch doesn't fail, the extra wiring does

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

mittico68

If I can chime in, I'll add that I did that mod to ma-deuce a few years ago.
And I'm very happy with it, because that avoid me to bend my poor back, on each starting, tryin' to insert the ignition key.
And it has never failed, so far...

I love my swingin' bike!

Dcall

Troll

afermarket ign. switch relocator kit. Uses a "harley" style switch. Apparently not connected. That's probably a good thing, as they often fail and leave you walking. Actually the switches, themselves don't fail, but a small resistor has to be added to the circuits to bypass the computer's anti theft system. If that part goes smoke, the fuel pump will not run.

Agree Agree x 1 View List
Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

Dcall

I just bought this bike 2000 drifter1500 and it has a three-way switch with a keyhole in it below the speedo. I didn't get a key that fits it and I don't think it is a factory item. I also have no idea what it is for it does seem to do anything. The guy I bought it from didn't know either "he was selling it for a friend"

I may take things apart and try and figure it out but as of now, it's a mystery.

I am very new to motorcycles so if anyone knows it would be a big help.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk