How much should I sell my drifter for?

Started by lefecious, July 02, 2022, 20:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mittico68

And that's why I'm gonna take ma-deuce 'till the day that I die, and then pass her to ma son! 

Like Like x 2 View List
I love my swingin' bike!

chief

Yeah, it would take a lot more than that price to convince me to sell mine. I think they are very underpriced - and always have been. But that's the market we have to live with.

Like Like x 1 View List
Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

mittico68

It's sad to know, as the only idea of being forced to sell ma-deuce just gives me heartaches!
Plus 1 on what Chief quoted, but I'd also say that on the other hand, the soooo low mileage of your bike represents a great card to play in the negotiation...

Like Like x 1 View List
I love my swingin' bike!

chief

My advice is to clean it up. Empty and inspect the gas tank for corrosion, change the oil and plugs, replace the fuel, inspect the tires. Run it a bit to ensure it cranks and runs... maybe move it around a bit.

Then ensure you tell prospective buyers what you have done, how long it sat, etc.

Pricing... letting it sit that long will impact the pricing. You will need do some research in your area to get an idea of the proper price. Start high and reduce as needed. Somewhere between $3000 and $4000, assuming no major problems, would be a likely range. If you don't plan to do the above maintenance... reduce that range accordingly.

Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

lefecious

Sad day for me, brothers.  I think it's time to let the drifter go.

I fell in love with drifters around 2004 I think and bought a used one with hardly any miles. Gave it a custom paint job, indian badge and fender light, tan solo seat with the matching tan two-up seat for when I needed to take a passenger.  Found this forum and really appreciated the helpful tips and advice.  Hoping you have one more piece of guidance for me.

I had multiple close calls due to bad drivers in my town.  Any one of them could've been fatal.  I thought long and hard about how many people depend on me, and ended up deciding that I'd never ride on the streets again, and I got a dirt bike instead so at least I won't be killed by some idiot texting while driving. I had made up my mind to sell my drifter, but I just never got around to it.  I don't know if it was simple procrastination or if I subconsciously didn't want to let it go.  But the result is that it wound up sitting in my garage for years, with gas in it (I know, I know, I screwed up).

Anyhoo, now I find myself hurting for cash so I have to let it go.  It ran great when I parked it, which I think was 6 or 7 years ago, but obviously it won't start anymore, and would need a battery and fuel system cleaning to get it going.

My problem is that I haven't really been in touch with the drifter community, or any motorcycle community in years.  I don't know if these are in demand these days or not.  So I'm having trouble figuring out how much to list it for.

1999 CA model 1500 with 3870 miles.  Never been dropped.  What's a good starting point?  I'm about an hour north of Los Angeles.

Any advice?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk