Multiple attempts to start and strong smell of fuel

Started by drifter-paul, May 05, 2022, 05:12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troll

Initial start relies on TPS, coolant, AIT MAP, baro.

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

drifter-paul

Yeah spark plugs are good. 3rd bike now , so only start it every 1-2 weeks, battery charger said high charge, but charged it anyway till it showed fully charged . Plugs are wet when removed , and drying fixes it. How many sensors affect the fuel ?

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Tim

Did you get this fixed? I went on a first ride of the year and I had the same problem - would not start and strong smell of petrol. I'm sure my battery was weak as that seems to be the most common problem but I'm curious if you had a different problem that you fixed. Cheers 

moto

check spark plugs, I think that one of the plugs are flooded. Use towel and dry it. And try again.

drifter-paul

'99 1500 185K- cleaned filter 2-3000K ago, coming in to winter, battery good, static & running, but takes a few goes (waiting minutes in between) to fire. Kicks over but can't quite catch - stinks of petrol, last trick is to dry spark plugs and this works.
No blinking of the engine warning light, so haven't grounded terminal 37 of CPU to run diagnostics.
Any ideas ?

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk