Springer solo seats

Started by coolwind57, November 05, 2021, 10:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coolwind57

Quote from: chief on December 28, 2021, 12:22:03 PM

Yeah it looked... terrible. But the underlying components looked good and would have worked well with a good looking springer.

Agree.  not the look for me either.

chief

Quote from: mittico68 on December 28, 2021, 10:27:27 AM

You're absolutely right!
Now I remember I've even seen one of those Kawa's springer seat on e-bay, many years ago...
But I also remember it is a real square seat that doesn't suit my style: and that's why I've forgotten.  ;D

Yeah it looked... terrible. But the underlying components looked good and would have worked well with a good looking springer.

Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

OR Seedman

I tired several different brands of springer style seats for both my 800 (when I still had it) and my 1500.  the best one I found and I have used for various occasions is one by La Rosa.  It is well padded and has stenciled flames on the seating area.  I adapted it to work on my 1500, however, I am not particularly fond of the look since the mounting points for the saddlebag brackets and 2-up seat are blatantly visible, even with the leather fringe I use.  It is very comfortable to ride for even a couple of hundred miles at a stretch.  I even use my backrest setup with it if I am going to go on a longer ride.  It's just not my favorite look on the 1500...looks better on the 800, IMO

OR Seedman

mittico68

Quote from: Pete on December 27, 2021, 14:01:47 PM

Kawasaki sold a springer seat for the 800 Drifter. Part No 99990-117A for the seat and part No 99990-117B for a seat rail.

You're absolutely right!
Now I remember I've even seen one of those Kawa's springer seat on e-bay, many years ago...
But I also remember it is a real square seat that doesn't suit my style: and that's why I've forgotten.  ;D

I love my swingin' bike!

chief

Quote from: Pete on December 27, 2021, 14:01:47 PM

Kawasaki sold a springer seat for the 800 Drifter. Part No 99990-117A for the seat and part No 99990-117B for a seat rail. (And before somebody pops up and says they were never manufactured, I've got one of the seat rails in its original box complete with a Kawasaki label bearing that part number). I'm holding onto it in case a NOS seat to go with it ever pops up).

I've seen that in a 2002 German brochure. I haven't seen in the USA materials.

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

Pete

Quote from: mittico68 on November 09, 2021, 02:03:03 AM

As far as I know, there are no springer seats made to fit our Drifters.
Even mine was listed to fit a HD or similar.
All you need is a flat piece of metal, a bit wider than the steel bridge that you can see standing over the frame, underneath the oem saddle.
That will be the base for the springer seat, to attach to said steel bridge.
If I'm not wrong, there should be a post about it on the Mods section of this Forum.

Kawasaki sold a springer seat for the 800 Drifter. Part No 99990-117A for the seat and part No 99990-117B for a seat rail. (And before somebody pops up and says they were never manufactured, I've got one of the seat rails in its original box complete with a Kawasaki label bearing that part number). I'm holding onto it in case a NOS seat to go with it ever pops up).

Informative Informative x 1 View List
Ride safe, live long and prosper.

Easy Drifter

I hope it works well for you, coolwind57.  Enjoy!!

'02 DRIFTER 800
'23 BOLT R-SPEC
'24 SUPER METEOR 650

coolwind57

I sure appreciate the springer seat deal I got from Easy Drifter.  The look is phenomenal and surpassed my expectations.

As for ride, i have no idea as I'm temporarily down at the moment replacing my rear fender and chain/sprockets.  Plus it's frickin' cold outside.   I'm not so much a long-distance rider, so I'm sure I'll be fine with this seat.

Anyhow, thank you Easy Drifter and the moderators and creators of this forum.  Sure is nice to trade items and have a resource to learn from each other.

Like Like x 1 View List

Easy Drifter

Quote from: coolwind57 on December 04, 2021, 10:03:30 AM

I'd like to take you up on the offer.  Seems I can't get into your profile to send a PM.  How can we seal the deal?

PM sent!

'02 DRIFTER 800
'23 BOLT R-SPEC
'24 SUPER METEOR 650

chief

Quote from: coolwind57 on December 04, 2021, 16:12:24 PM

Done deal.  Thank you, Sir.

No problem, gave me a chance to explain this.

Cheers.

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

coolwind57

Quote from: chief on December 04, 2021, 13:46:57 PM

FYI FORUM HOW-TO:

Unfortunately because of the number of spammers around, we restrict access to member profiles to users who reach MEMBER status and above. To get to MEMBER status post at least 15 valid posts and your level is automatically raised. You then have access to others' profiles.

As a PROSPECT, you can still send PMs to other members. It just takes a bit more effort.

1. First, get and remember the member name of the person to whom you wish to send a PM.
2. Select MEMBERS from the top nav bar. Scroll down to MY MESSAGES and select SEND MESSAGE.
3. The PM form will pop up, input the username you "remembered" in step one, and complete your PM.

Done deal.  Thank you, Sir.

chief

Quote from: coolwind57 on December 04, 2021, 10:03:30 AM

I'd like to take you up on the offer.  Seems I can't get into your profile to send a PM.  How can we seal the deal?

FYI FORUM HOW-TO:

Unfortunately because of the number of spammers around, we restrict access to member profiles to users who reach MEMBER status and above. To get to MEMBER status post at least 15 valid posts and your level is automatically raised. You then have access to others' profiles.

As a PROSPECT, you can still send PMs to other members. It just takes a bit more effort.

1. First, get and remember the member name of the person to whom you wish to send a PM.
2. Select MEMBERS from the top nav bar. Scroll down to MY MESSAGES and select SEND MESSAGE.
3. The PM form will pop up, input the username you "remembered" in step one, and complete your PM.

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

coolwind57

Quote from: Easy Drifter on November 09, 2021, 14:03:52 PM

I have one that fits an 800 Drifter, only used it for about a month. From Bobbercycles.

I'd gladly ship it to you for $100. It's virtually brand new. I've got a bad back and I thought it would help. Ended up getting a Corbin solo seat.

Easy Drifter

Quote from: coolwind57 on November 05, 2021, 10:11:04 AM

I think my Drifter would look really cool with a spring solo seat.  Anyone have one on theirs?  I'd love to see pics and hear where you bought it from.  I'm thinking of fabbing up one maybe from a universal kit that's found on Amazon.

I have one that fits an 800 Drifter, only used it for about a month. From Bobbercycles.

I'd gladly ship it to you for $100. It's virtually brand new. I've got a bad back and I thought it would help. Ended up getting a Corbin solo seat.

'02 DRIFTER 800
'23 BOLT R-SPEC
'24 SUPER METEOR 650

mittico68

As far as I know, there are no springer seats made to fit our Drifters.
Even mine was listed to fit a HD or similar.
All you need is a flat piece of metal, a bit wider than the steel bridge that you can see standing over the frame, underneath the oem saddle.
That will be the base for the springer seat, to attach to said steel bridge.
If I'm not wrong, there should be a post about it on the Mods section of this Forum.

I love my swingin' bike!

gwilki

I've been looking at this mod for my 99 1500. Can you please tell me where you got your seat? I see lots of them on Amazon, but I'm unsure which of them could be hacked to fit the Drifter. Most of them are listed to fit one Harley or another.

mittico68

I've done it to ma-deuce, and I'm really happy with it.
Here you can see the results:

https://youtu.be/CgaSCjjJSG8
I love my swingin' bike!

coolwind57

I think my Drifter would look really cool with a spring solo seat.  Anyone have one on theirs?  I'd love to see pics and hear where you bought it from.  I'm thinking of fabbing up one maybe from a universal kit that's found on Amazon.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk