1500 Front Fender Removal

Started by Bucko, June 12, 2021, 11:31:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drifter-paul

Rockin Rollin,

God!!!, I'd love a table lift, but the wife wants her car in the garage, and reckons it would be too heavy for her to place flat against the wall in front of her car - she'll want to vote for the Greens next  ;)

Excellent video, thank you for your effort  :) 

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

RockinRollin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbsB1G2gCN8

At 10:24 into the video I cover the front fender removal if you're interested.

drifter-paul

Gwilki, Troll, Mittico68

I painted and pinstriped the fender and did the fork oils 10 years ago in a major strip down. My memory is of dropping the lot thru the yolks, and working on each as required
-- I,m claiming a Senior's moment ---
looking at it again now, I see that you are right.

:-[

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

gwilki

I'm the new guy,but I just got finished changing the fork oil and springs on my 1999 1500. I jacked the bike up on a modified ATV jack, took off the front wheel, then removed the fender. I did not need to remove the forks to get the fender off.
I then removed the forks to do the oil and spring change.

drifter-paul

You can't do this with the bike level and propped in the middle. Not enough clearance to get the fender below the fork ends, it has to be slid down - it can't be pulled thru the forks horizontally because the fender is waisted between the  forks.

Using the side stand with the rear tyre on the ground and a side jack to lean the bike to the right should clear it, after dropping the tyre. I don't like the potential stress on the sidestand - although I use this (less drastically) when replacing just the tyre.

Raising the bike at the front quite considerablely from the horizontal, (use skyhooks attached to the handle bars to keep it stable) and dropping the forks was the best for me. This means you can leave the tyre in place and simply slide the fender up the forks (after detaching the brake caliper), this works best for me. IMHO

mittico68

I love my swingin' bike!

Troll

Tale off the front wheel, and then the fender...no big deal, except that the front caliper can be a PITA to get back on.

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

Bucko

Anyone had their front fender off the bike?  Do the forks need to be removed to get the fender off?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk