FORUM NEWS: Updated as necessary

Started by chief, March 13, 2021, 14:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chief

11/15/2022

I think we have gotten everything stabilized again.

THEMES: Had to change out some themes. You will find the theme selector again at the top and bottom of the pages. There is one dark and 3 lighter versions. I like the Fusion and it is the forum default.

MESSAGES: I have added some code to separate the admin/sticky posts from the regular posts.

ATTACHMENTS:  We, unfortunately, lost some attachments. I think there are about 42 unattached to messages at the moment. Will try to figure this out, but they are probably gone. If you have posted in the past and one of your posts is now missing the attachment... feel free to re-upload it!

SOCIAL MEDIA:  At the top right of the screen (Fusion theme) you will now see FB and Twitter icons. These will take you to our pages on those platforms.

Please let me know if you see any problems or have any suggestions for improvement. And, make sure you upload any pics for any rides or events you visit or have visited. Those can go in the gallery or in posts.

We are looking at sharing pics with twitter.

Like Like x 1 Agree Agree x 1 View List
Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

Tim

Thanks again for all your hard work Chief!

Like Like x 1 View List

chief

11/13/2022

At some point we lost many thousands of messages. Don't know when. Anyway, we had backups and after a lot of work, we have most posts back again. Can't guarantee we got them all.

I wondered why people weren't finding information. I did a search today and discovered we only had about 9 months of posts - about 4000. Now back to >60,000.

Not how I wanted to spend my Sunday!

Cheers.

Like Like x 1 View List

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

chief

10/24/2022

Currently, accessory sources are listed under the MODS/TIPS category in specific boards such as Exhaust, Hand Controls, etc. The first post in each board is the container for mods, tips and sources.

Example: Mods/Tips/Accessories - Electrical

We are also adding this information to the Where Can I Find/Buy/Trade board.

We are using these methods to ensure the mods, tips and accessory sources are searchable, and to help people find the information. It's not the most intuitive approach but the software search function has some limitations.

If you have any ideas about how to improve this resource, let me know. If you have any sources for parts/supplies/accessories, any mods or any tips you can email or PM me, or you can leave a post in the Where Can I Find... board.

Cheers. 

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

chief

OCT 19, 2022

We've just reopened our Twitter account https://twitter.com/DrifterRiders .

And a reminder for those who care we have a Facebook group at :  https://www.facebook.com/groups/drifter

Also there is now a Social Media board on the forum. Feel free to comment, critic, recommend or lurk there...

Social Media Board

JULY 21, 2022

The VIEW GALLERY link is back!!

We lost that link when we upgraded. But it has now been adapted for the new version of the forum software. We added it back today.

In the event you don't know, on the left side of each message is your Avatar with some info about you. Under the avatar you will see the VIEW GALLERY link. This connect directly with the user's personal Gallery page.

If you haven't added pics of your bike, etc to your member gallery, now is a good time to do so.

Cheers.

Like Like x 1 View List

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

chief

MAY 17,2022

Our upgrade and move is complete, though there will likely be additional changes as we test the various pieces of the forum/site.

We will be updating the "splash" page and will continue to look for better ways to handle mods etc.

If you find any problems or have ideas for improvement, please let us know.

Cheers. 

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

chief

05/13/2022 -

We are almost finished with the recent upgrade and move. The site is running a LOT faster and it is far easier to update and maintain.
Still some things to do. If you see anything you want to see changed, let us know.

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

chief

Quote from: chief on May 09, 2022, 21:42:50 PM

APRIL 17, 2022 - Edited 05/09/22

We are still working on the site. In addition to the problems we have getting the forum to run the way we want, our hosting provider has introduced some additional problems for us. We may end up changing to a different host.

Problems:

1) All of our mods are not currently listed. We are adding them to the PAGES section right now. BUT, we are looking at a different approach and will be experimenting with that to see if it will work for us.

Our MODs Pages are now located in an INDEX message entitled MODS, TIPS, ACCESSORIES at the top of each sub-board in the Modifications and Troubleshooting board. For example:  Mods and accessories for exhausts are indexed in a message at the top of the

• Modifications and Troubleshooting
  • ► Exhaust
  •  MODS, TIPS, ACCESSORIES - Exhaust
Just check out the MODS, TIPS, ACCESSORIES message in the related sub-board.  (05/09/2022)

2) We are getting 403 errors periodically thanks to our hosting provider. They are looking into it. This may be what moves us to another provider. We pay a lot to this host to keep our site(s) available to you guys.
It looks like the errors have stopped. We are still planning on moving to another service provider later in the years.  (05/09/2022)

3) This is a major new version of our forum software so there are few themes available that look good. Also the themes in this upgrade are more difficult to customize. I'll be working on that, but in the meantime we'll have to suffer with what is available. I like dark themes and there are even fewer of those. I am looking for a "theme select" mod that will work on this version of our software  In the meantime, you can go to your profile and select an alternate theme. We have 4-5 available.

Still no theme select mod for this version. You can change your default theme in your profile if you don't like this one.  (05/09/2022)

4) If you get a 403 error and the site doesn't work. Wait 5 minutes or so and it will let you work again. Hope to have this fixed shortly.

5) If you have any ideas for improvement let me know. This is the time to make any changes.
More later....

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

chief

APRIL 17, 2022

We are still working on the site. In addition to the problems we have getting the forum to run the way we want, our hosting provider has introduced some additional problems for us. We may end up changing to a different host.

Problems:

1) All of our mods are not currently listed. We are adding them to the PAGES section right now. BUT, we are looking at a different approach and will be experimenting with that to see if it will work for us.

2) We are getting 403 errors periodically thanks to our hosting provider. They are looking into it. This may be what moves us to another provider. We pay a lot to this host to keep our site(s) available to you guys.

3) This is a major new version of our forum software so there are few themes available that look good. Also the themes in this upgrade are more difficult to customize. I'll be working on that, but in the meantime we'll have to suffer with what is available. I like dark themes and there are even fewer of those. I am looking for a "theme select" mod that will work on this version of our software  In the meantime, you can go to your profile and select an alternate theme. We have 4-5 available.

4) If you get a 403 error and the site doesn't work. Wait 5 minutes or so and it will let you work again. Hope to have this fixed shortly.

5) If you have any ideas for improvement let me know. This is the time to make any changes.

More later....

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

chief

APRIL 13, 2022

We had to upgrade our software, this is a major upgrade, so the look/feel and some of the functions we used previously will be changed. We will be working on this over the next couple of weeks, so forgive the inconvenience. A LOT of changes have been made in this version. I will, hopefully, work better for everyone.

The themes we are using should work on any size screen and all devices.

Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

chief

04/12/2021

CLASSIFIED ADS:

Just discovered some old classified listings were resurrected after our move and some others weren't appearing. Corrections have been made.

Please make sure you RELIST your listing if it is close to expiring. Also please remove listings if you have sold your item.

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

chief

03/13/2021 -

SERVER MOVE COMPLETED:  We have completed the move to a new server. Software has been updated and we have made some changes to the look of the forum.

THEME SELECTION: You can select from 6 themes to suit yourself. Find the dropdown box at the upper right of your screen. The current default is BR Finale.

FORUM OFFLINE FOR 12 HOURS:  As luck would have it, our server provider had a problem last night so we were down for about 12 hours. If you couldn't get connected, that was why.

ARTICLES, MODS and GEAR: We are updating all the Mods and Articles. If you find a problem with any of them, please let us know.

DOWNLOADS: We have a DOWNLOADS area which is currently empty. As you may know, some of the mods listed here have downloadable PDF files links on the page. We intend to add those links to the downloads area as well over the next couple of months.

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk