mods and tips from a new drifter owner

Started by Lucky, April 20, 2019, 11:52:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

marbling is bypassing the smog lines from the valve covers (1/2" cross over plastic hose) to the intake. get 3x1.2" vacuum caps, and if you like, 3 spring clamps or zip ties- .. block off all 3 ports, and it won't backfire (as much) on decel.

i replaced the front lower rubber motor mounts.. zero difference, was a mis-diagnosis

"Scout"  800 Drifter
900 classic rear shock
18/ 38t gearing
Michelin Commander II mt/90-16 front 150/80-16 rear
1 3/4 turns on A/F, 1st clip,48 pilot, 160 main - 41mpg
K&N
Marbled and Modified airbox
Vulcan Classic 800 sissy bar
Viking saddle bags

Near future
135 main / 42 pilot

Kow8rdr

What is marbling,  and where does Jeffe mention breaking a motor mount,am I missing something...lol

Tfrank59

Howdy Jeffe. Welcome to the forum looks like you got things figured out pretty good. I didn't think our motor mounts could break but apparently yours did.  I would think the kawi dealer would have replacement parts for an 800 Vulcan? I would probably start with eBay though for used parts.

Tom

'06 Drifter 800, '98 Valkyrie

"HD: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the pesky effects of horsepower."

Lucky

""Scout" is a 2000 Drifter 800, 30k miles when I got her. Had been stored either outside or in a carport. She has a trailer hitch!!

Man, these gas tanks get rusty. Place rare earth magnets under the tank, near the petcock to catch rust

A fuel filter is a must and the fuel line is 3/8 ID

My fuel line must have been original and was cracking and dry rotting.

Marbling takes less than an hour for even the most ham fisted mechanic. Need 10,11,12 mm socket, 3 mm Allen key, screw driver and needle nose. Along with set of misc vacuum caps from Napa. This stops the back firing when rev matching. A little seafoam on the carb gasket to air box really helps getting that back on, well.

I am running dynajet stage 1 , 3rd location e clip, 48 pilot, 160 main, tried 140, which seemed to be weak in top third of power band, 2.75 turns on A/F pilot jet. I had to remove rust from gas cap to intake manifold, and my pilot was slightly clogged.. no guts in mid-range, but better now

KN air filter.. idk that the air box then needs to be modified.. plugs looked right in the middle of "normal" and little carbon build up in intake

Iridium plugs.. these REALLY seemed to make a diff in low RPM and cold mornings, other than that, not so much over stock NGK

ISO grips and throttle master

Likely going to do 17-38 when she gets a new chain

This is great fun until 70+, then she is busy and buzzy, with stock gearing. While she can go faster, I feel like it's pushing hard at 85.. but I have a windshield and I am 6'4, 250

If this helps anyone, cool. If not, consider this to be a long winded howdy
Jeffe

"Scout"  800 Drifter
900 classic rear shock
18/ 38t gearing
Michelin Commander II mt/90-16 front 150/80-16 rear
1 3/4 turns on A/F, 1st clip,48 pilot, 160 main - 41mpg
K&N
Marbled and Modified airbox
Vulcan Classic 800 sissy bar
Viking saddle bags

Near future