Need information on Drifter Ignition Switch handlebar box

Started by CousinVinnie, April 07, 2023, 20:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CousinVinnie

To be honest, I never knew about pulling in the clutch lever as it has always started in Neutral, Switch On, Push button. When I looked at the parts lists online, I noticed that there are 2 p/n listed for the switch unit.
Since my 1st post I have obtained a used switch that is plainly marked as being off of a 99 1500J Drifter.  Haven't put it on yet but will compare with the original from my bike to compare the pin configurations.  If they are the same I will get it installed.

Addendum to this post:  I did get a good look at the pin/connectors in the new one I just bought and the old one that was removed.  The posts are in the same positions.  When I have the other switch removed I can look at the connections and compare.

Informative Informative x 1 View List
The Original Cousin Vinnie
99 Drifter (Jewell)Signed by Denny Berg
00 Drifter (Gracie) Saved from the scrap heap

chief

The Owner's Manual indicates the bike can be started in neutral with or without the clutch depressed. I always start mine in neutral with the clutch depressed... I've had too many bikes jump out of neutral after a start.

The switch housing is just a holder so that isn't the problem. The run and starter buttons are just simple switches.

There is a starter sensor which prevents the bike from starting when in gear with the clutch engaged... not in neutral.

Sounds to me like that sensor may be the problem.

I suppose it is possible the wiring/connectors for a non-drifter start switch might not have a different pin configuration which might impact the starter sensor- I haven't looked at the wiring to figure out if that is possible.

Your receipt should have the P/n's for the replacement parts. If you want to provide those we compare to the OEM.

Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

CousinVinnie

Does it have the original switchbox or has it been replaced?

gwilki

FWIW, my stock 1999 will not start unless I pull the clutch in.

CousinVinnie

My 99 1500 recently had surgery to replace the ignition/starter button/kill box on the handlebars.  I had to buy a replacement switchbox and wires.  When I went to pick it up from the shop, I tried to start it as I always have,

Neutral,
Key On,
Kill Switch in the ON position
Push the starter button.
It did not start.

The mechanic said to hold in the Clutch lever and it would start.  I did, and yes it did start. He also looked at me as if I was daft and said that all Kawasaki bikes require the clutch to be held in.  This is not what I am used to.

I have 2 Drifters, and my 2000, starts just like my 99 did....My friend Parson Dav has a 2000 and his starts the same way. Another rider close by says his starts this way as well, and so does Troll.

I am going on the assumption that the replacement switch was not from a Drifter, but another model.

Is there a separate part number for the Drifter Switch box and what is it?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk