Very Sad News

Started by greenbarn, May 23, 2018, 19:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CousinVinnie

This is a much much belated post.  I met RatMan in Pikeville and it was him that gave me the moniker Cuz'n Vinnie at the last dinner we had.  I respected him for his humor and his toughness and tenderness.  As a matter of fact, my wife still invokes his name when I ride.  Nuff said...  See ya in the here after, Canuck,

Agree Agree x 1 View List
The Original Cousin Vinnie
99 Drifter (Jewell)Signed by Denny Berg
00 Drifter (Gracie) Saved from the scrap heap

OR Seedman

Thank you Andy for being such a great source of information and have an absolutely terrific sense of humor....you will be greatly missed, my friend...RIP

OR Seedman

KEN.

Hello All.......Just logged on ......Expecting  some jovial humour ...Not to be.......Ratman your will be missed!!!...KEN.

Tfrank59

Andy, AKA Ratman, was a really great friend online to all of us. He will be missed. And I wonder if somebody can step up and fill his rather large shoes. I'm pretty sure he'd want that.

FYI I asked  about him on the 800 site because a post there seemed to imply something happened and I suspected he had passed (somebody mentioned a memorial), and then I searched and lo and behold on the general discussion here we are. Very sad.  Perhaps someone can post a brief obituary notice for him on the 800 site, for those of us that don't normally browse the General discussion site?

Tom

'06 Drifter 800, '98 Valkyrie

"HD: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the pesky effects of horsepower."

Trall

R.I.P brother Andy. I've been out of the loop and got onto the forum today.  Another member Gene told me of his passing.
I remember Andy was always there to help if you had a question or problem.
He was one of the heartbeats of this forum that was a invaluable source of information and wise cracks.

Earlier I just saw his finished Raven build and posted on the quality of his finished Drifter.

Brother Drifter in peace now.
God Bless him and his family. 

RockinRollin

He was one of those larger than life individuals.

Zoar

Quote from: greenbarn on June 01, 2018, 22:02:31 PM

Well, I we can try, LOL...

Not sure if you knew, but Andy was planning on making a trip to see you this summer, to go out for a pizza.  He had recruited me to go, if I could go too, and we'd meet there.  He was working on getting some other folks to go to.   I miss the guy already.

Oh yea, he was threatening to come see me and reminded me of that threat often. He definitely enjoyed playing at being in your face. yes he will be missed.

pcarrell

Somehow, the world just isn't the same anymore.  Andy and I had kept in contact since my accident, and he will be missed greatly.  Prayers for his friends and family.

greenbarn

Quote from: Zoar on May 31, 2018, 10:30:16 AM

Indeed.

My condolences and kind thoughts to his family and friends.

He will be missed.

Who will abuse me on this forum now?

Well, I we can try, LOL...

Not sure if you knew, but Andy was planning on making a trip to see you this summer, to go out for a pizza.  He had recruited me to go, if I could go too, and we'd meet there.  He was working on getting some other folks to go to.   I miss the guy already.

No Worries

Brownie

Condolences to his Family and friends .best wishes from Australia

mittico68

R.I.P., Andy.
You will be missed, for sure.

I love my swingin' bike!

Zoar

Quote from: DriftinGirl on May 30, 2018, 18:05:35 PM

Thinking of Andy today. Tough day for his family, the final goodbye. R.I.P.

Indeed.

My condolences and kind thoughts to his family and friends.

He will be missed.

Who will abuse me on this forum now?

greenbarn

Quote from: DriftinGirl on May 30, 2018, 18:05:35 PM

Same here.  I'm going to miss him.

No Worries

DriftinGirl

tj

OMG...absolutely awful news. RIP Ratman.

Pilgrim

Good pics Tracy, I only met Andy one time ..at the Pikeville rally but have kept in touch since then, I regretfully missed the Norhtern rally and was looking forward to the Soo rally 19. Andy loved Drifters (800s for some reason) lol. and he knew allot about them.  He had a sense of humor that you sometimes didnt know how to take unless you knew him. I know his health was bad , he had many issues, but never let them stop him from doing what needed to be done. He recently built on to his house while building his beloved Raven doing all the work himself. Andy was a wonderful person, a proud veteran, a friend, and a valuable member of this forum. We will all miss him and never forget him. Ride free my brother....

Can you feel the wind in Heaven
Can you hear me call your name
Can you see the tears that fall
This world wont ever be the same

When we gather in our group
Can you hear the sound of silence
When we look where you once stood.

Can you hear the ladies cry
Can you feel our broken hearts
When we have to say goodbye

While the men hold back the tears
Leather clad and watery eyes
And know we'd rather have you here

I hope there is a Biker Heaven
And we will meet again someday
I hope to feel the wind in Heaven
And shake your hand again that day

~author unknown

greenbarn

I'm going to miss the old guy

No Worries

2beers

From Blue and Princess

We've always been car crazy.  We've always been bike crazy.  Most people agree we're just plain crazy.

greenbarn

I just spoke with Andy's sister, Liz.  The calling hours will be at the funeral home, and it doesn't sound like there will be a "funeral procession".   She said the coroner ruled the death as a heart attack, complicated by his diabetes, and he died peacefully in his sleep. 

No Worries

greenbarn

The Obit says to donate to Ride For Dad, which is an upcoming ride for prostate cancer that Andy regularly supported.

http://www.ridefordad.ca/nipissing/

Calling hours Wed, 5/30.  Anybody planning to go??

No Worries

Old Drifter

Quote from: kw-retrorider on May 25, 2018, 14:29:06 PM

Greenbarn: If you hear anything else or there is anything we can do...an obit; a place to contribute; anything...please post.

I can't believe it man....just shows none of us know how much time we have. Ride while you can.

I will now go toast the Ratman...

Here's the obituary. https://www.mcguintyfuneralhome.com/notices/Andrew-Ratkai
Gene

1999 Drifter

kw-retrorider

Greenbarn: If you hear anything else or there is anything we can do...an obit; a place to contribute; anything...please post.

I can't believe it man....just shows none of us know how much time we have. Ride while you can.

I will now go toast the Ratman...

kw-retrorider

This is very sad indeed and a shock. Always had great conversations with Andy on and off the forum. He was always looking out for everyone else. Makes me really sorry I missed his northern Drift-In...at least we have the video.

Did he have a health condition we were unaware of or that he didn't make common knowledge? It didn't occur to me that he was punching a bucket list. Just so sudden and unexpected.

Rest  in peace my fellow 800 rider....

shunter v8

I am gutted to hear this sad news, I only got an email from him last week with many pictures of Raven, we loved the guy over here with his wicked banter that got us in trouble on the uk forum but who cares it was funny, Andy had a heart of gold and will be very sadly missed.

traa-dy-lioor

chief

Another friend waiting for us down the road.

Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk