Pearl to Raven transformation

Started by CDNRatMan, May 05, 2018, 12:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tfrank59

Moses lake is on the other side of the Cascades in what we consider Eastern Washington, I'm over on the western side which is Puget Sound area. I don't know about that many bad guys in our state but the other Washington has more than a few and they're getting caught doing lots of bad, illegal stuff ;D

Tom

'06 Drifter 800, '98 Valkyrie

"HD: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the pesky effects of horsepower."

CDNRatMan

:o Well get out and ride on this American holiday. Now how close to Moses Lake do you live? I was watching a TV program about your state.......lots of lawbreakers in Washington it seems......they were catching people doing really bad things......seems they even have to have what we call Fish and Wildlife Officers catching bad guys......
Ok so pictures will follow once it is completed and I have pictures of the build also. Now as for the riding that is the really easy part, Red is the bike done up for 2 up and distance riding, I have sat in her saddle for over a 14 hour day and not a problem, if Raven's seat is as comfortable oh then we might have an issue. Right now Raven will be my about town and day ride bike, but anything over 5 hours rides will be on Red. This build has been really good for my mental health and physical health, making me get up and down and kneel, really work the joints and the mind.
My hardest decision is if I should eat at home or go out someplace............ok later.........

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

Tfrank59

Yes today, Cinco de Mayo, is a beautiful day in the Seattle area. Here at 11:15 a.m. local time it's right at 60° partly sunny skies, and I intend to do about a two to three-hour ride this afternoon. We should see 70 degrees Fahrenheit today, and there will be scores and scores of motorcyclists out there to wave at.

Now regarding your two Bikes, let's see the pics of your latest iteration as soon as possible. It really sounds like a masterpiece from your description. And of course now that you have two adopted daughters you must be careful to give each one equal affection if you know what I mean. They can get rather jealous about that if you favor one over the other just like with real children or dogs. As I like to say to my students jokingly, "it's really a good day when the hardest decision I have to make is which bike to ride." 8)

Tom

'06 Drifter 800, '98 Valkyrie

"HD: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the pesky effects of horsepower."

CDNRatMan

So Tom in Western Washington, this morning was foggy and damp, but as 1000 approached the fog burned off and the sun came out, so I took the snow blower from the upper shed to the lower shed and moved all the snow equipment from the upper shed and cleaned out upper shed in readiness for the bikes to come out. Not wanting to over do it and hurt my knees and ankles I stopped for lunch and decided to do this quick email to tease a few folks. So pictures will follow shortly.........to transform Pearl my 1999 Peal Burnish Beige Drifter 800 to something I wanted to try, I had thought of a WWII dispatch rider bike but it has been done, so thinking outside the box, and my team of 4 forum members who sometimes I wonder if they did help or hinder me......so here is what I did.....this winter
Bike was wrapped; deal I pay for material they did the labour as they have never done a complete bike.
Now the wrap is on midnight black and they printed the theme of rusting old metal on the film. Then the Raven, pocket watch and chain, along with the inside workings of a watch and the gauges were printed and cut out and applied very time consuming.
made 90 some black acorn nut bolts to replace the stock ones; thats to Tom York (UK) for the idea.
front fender license plate; myself,
spoke covers, Malcolm Wilson in the UK,
progressive front springs from a 1500 and a 1/4" longer spacer for a firmer ride,
front hub cover, myself and Malcolm,
rims trued, and new wheel bearing installed,
rear wheel saming thing, also,
new rear shock a progressive 465, and the needle bearings in the swing arm were cleaned and repacked
Steering neck all new bearings,
Rimswere Powder coated at North Bay powder coating shop,
LED spot and drive lights on the light bar (they are 2" ones),
mudflaps thanks to 49 Reo and myself,
Highway Hawk speedo cowling; (getting powder coated as I type this),
Handlebars from a 2017 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic (powder coated black),
Aluminum mirrors from Tom York in the UK;
Dash customizing was myself;
custom made seat and frame were designed by myself, I bought the seat and frame off ebay that someone tried to customize and I just had a welder (R&K Fabrications) do the welding and then Gowing seats made the seat on the original 2 up pan.
Saddleman travel trunk with Trolls idea of cutting boards.
Vintage H-D tool box mounted thanks to 49 Reo for the brackets;
800 watts of stereo on board,
sprocket swap was also done at this time,
valves were checked and new plugs installed

Now for shits and giggles, I did a little numbers game, if I worked on the bike for say 3 hours per day, and say 18 days a month, and for some 5 months.....and if I were to charge me shop rates around here which is $90.00 per hour I need to get something like $24,300.00 out of the bike, and not including parts and purchase price of the bike......lol....never going to happen......
Hope I did not miss anything.........oh the picture well that is going on the bike tonight.......

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk