Brake pads

Started by 1999 Drifter, March 18, 2011, 18:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chief

Probably simply a sales decision... easier to get, more profit margin, any number of reasons.

Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

1999 Drifter

I wonder why the kaw dealer didn't give me Kaw pads?

chief

I've gone back to the Kaw pads myself.

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

1999 Drifter

chief

There is a brake pad table on this page... from the Mods/Tips section of the web site.

http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/drifterparts.html

Riders have experienced rapid wear and heavy dust residue from standard EBC pads. The HH versions do better. Neither seem to last as long or run as clean as the OEM KAW pads. The HH will wear the rotor more rapidly.

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

Troll

The HH pads compound is the sintered pad. Hard on rotors, but provide excellent stopping power. The best balance seems to be the "organic" kevlar based pads. The bag on my rack is a saddlemen "drifter" bag, with some added studs. It's designed to be attached to a sissybar/luggage rack combo, but I made internal and external mounts for it from some 3/8" thick plastic cutting boards I bought at wal mart. One attached to the rack with some studs and wing nuts, and one inside the bag to bolt the bag to the external one. Takes about 30 seconds to put on or take off. I set it back from the seat about 6" so I have a place to attach my laptop case.

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

1999 Drifter

By the way I saw a pic of your roll bag on your rack is that a custom bag or ordered
Thanks

1999 Drifter

Thanks Troll ...The only thing on my pads is they do not say HH
They are High performance organic ?
Looks like they are a good pad
Thanks

Troll

EBC makes a good quality brake pad. there are several friction compounds, but I have found that the kevlar based pads heat quickly, bed in fast, and perform quite well, even when wet. I always used SBS on my H-Ds, but switched to the EBCs when I got the Kaws. Here is a page out of their catalog. They make a lot of brakes for the oem, and are made in the U.K.

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

1999 Drifter

ordered pads front and rear from Kawi dealer rec'd EBC FA229 for front and EBC FA231 for rear
any comments on these
Thanks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk