Hello from the Rocky Mountains of Colorado

Started by Stroker Deuce, June 11, 2017, 08:32:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenbarn

Welcome to the forum, Stroker, and the world of Drifters.    You might find yourself selling 19 bikes, and buying 19 more drifters... LOL...

DId someone mention Pics??  We like pics!!!!

No Worries

CDNRatMan

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

DC

Welcome to the forum, Stroker.  Former Colorado Springs resident here.

zig

Welcome Stroker!  I've got a oxblood red/cream 2001 1500 but wouldn't trade it! Love it! If I see another one I'll let you know.  I also have the 900 Classic; thinking about "Scouting" it (brown leather saddlebags and a matching solo seat).
I try to get to Colorado at least once every summer, to break up the heat here in Texas.  This year my plans are a backpacking/fly fishing trip into South San Juan Wilderness Area, west of Antonito.
Have been up north of Pagosa Springs camping and fishing off my 900 back in 2011 or 2012?
Trying to talk my wife into retiring into that area some day.  Still have 10 years to go though.
You know, they've mentioned pictures....get some with those beautiful mountains in the background, will ya?

mittico68

Quote from: CDNRatMan on June 11, 2017, 21:23:34 PM

Welcome and I to prefer the 800 and if it is red so much the better...lol......

+1!!!
BTW, did anyone mention PICS? WE DO LIKE PICS... ;)

I love my swingin' bike!

CDNRatMan

Welcome and I to prefer the 800 and if it is red so much the better...lol......

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

Ontargetbill

Welcome Stroker Deuce,
This is forum has the best folks who love and know drifters.
I've owned 3 bikes at once and almost got thrown out of the house for it. lol

Look forward in seeing pictures of your 800.

OntargetBill

Stroker Deuce

I just added a 2001 Drifter 800 to my stable of something over twenty bikes.  When you get to twenty you need to stop counting, and just tell your spouse "at least it keeps me out of the bars at night".  I restore vintage bikes as a winter hobby here at our mountain retreat.  Winters are long and hard here at 8800' altitude so one needs to do something to keep busy.

My love affair with motorcycles started over fifty years ago as I rebuilt a two stroke 150 cc Simplex in my bedroom of my parents home one winter.  That four horsepower engine gave me freedom and a whole new perspective on life.  I swear I pushed that bike almost as much as I rode it.  I remember breaking the frame once while attempting a jump and literally carrying the pieces to a welding shop.

About the only time I've been without owning a bike was the time I spent in the Navy during Viet Nam.  I rented bikes during that time when I could but that was a luxury barely affordable on an enlisted mans pay.

I was fortunate enough to manage a Suzuki Motorcycle shop while attending College and had a sponsored ride on what is now the Black Jack Enduro Circuit.  My body suffered greatly back in the day when knees acted as shock absorbers and body armor was a T-shirt.  My racing days are over, but I still enjoy keeping the rust scraped off the underside of my floorboards.

My professional working career was in the electrical automation field and I'm twice retired.  I've been fortunate enough to be able to live in many of the places I wanted to explore my preferred outdoor lifestyle and feel I'm living the dream here in south central Colorado.

I love my "new to me" '01 Drifter 800 and look forward to learning a lot about it.  I just ordered an 800 service manual to help me along.  As you might expect from someone who owns more than twenty bikes there will likely be another Drifter added to the stable.  It seems to me, the 800 is best suited as a solo bike to play in the curves, and the 1500 would shine as a two up and long distance ride.  I'm partial to the 2001 Drifter 1500 oxblood red / pearl ivory color scheme in case someone comes across a deal on one.  My 2015 Vulcan Classic LT 900 is gathering dust in the garage if someone is interested in a trade.

We have a primitive cabin on our ranch that is available to anyone who is traveling through my area.  It's not much, but does offer a bed up off the ground.  There is always a hot pool game and a cold drink available in my man cave / shop.

Keeping the underside of the floor boards clean on the Rocky Mountain twisties.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk