'99 1500 - Vent/Evap Line(s) - Help.

Started by rwantin, September 08, 2016, 16:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indo

In the shop manual that is on this site you will find the schematics for the Ca model. (Look for the emissions control). One line is to the purge unit and the other is the vent line. Cap off the purge line. Some of them may still have their color markers on them still and that will further help identify which one.

rwantin

Hi Troll,

Stock exhaust, checked that early on (actually had the entire thing off), rubber bushings appear to be in good order - mounts solidly with a little movement, which I suspect is how should be.  I did the motor mount bolt thing (I think you suggested it in my other thread), but couldn't hurt to do again (not like it takes a lot of time).  I just removed the rear rack tying the two saddlebag rails together, just to try something with regard to vibration through the frame.

I wish I could dismiss as character (and heck, may reach a point where I do), but it does feel like going over a washboard at lower speeds (and at lower rpm static).  Seems pretty harsh.

You're a gentleman and a scholar, again, much appreciated.

-Robert

The correct number of bikes you should own at any time is N+1, N being your current number of bikes.

Troll

Vibration: How is your exhaust mounted? Factory stock will be rubber mounted, like the engine, and aftermarket is solid mounted...a good way to transmit vibes to your frame! Retorque the two motor mount through bolts to 32 lb/ft. Loosen them first, let the engine run for a minute or so, shut down and then tighten them... You WILL get some V-2 "character" transmitted, but the smooth high speed is just amazing....especially if you're a recovering H-D owner

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

rwantin

Swapped the lines, added more gas, rode in to work today, all appears well (except for the vibration thing, but I'll keep working on it).

Just wanted to say thanks a ton for your help.

-Robert

The correct number of bikes you should own at any time is N+1, N being your current number of bikes.

Troll

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

rwantin

Hi Troll,

There is a vent near the top of the tank, though I think that is outside the cap seal and just for slosh overflow.  I'll take a closer look when I get home.

The blue dot is the one I have capped off - in looking at your diagram, it possibly vents near the top of the tank.  If that is the case, it's worth trying to reverse it - cap the red dot (that is the one running gas to the ground), and venting the blue one.  Worth a shot.

And I really appreciate your help, sir.

-Robert

Troll

Is there another available line that will vent the tank? Seal off the leaker and be sure you can get air inside.

rwantin

Thanks again.

It is definitely coming from the red-dotted outlet (the line that had the same resistance as the single outlet original tank).  That line, as with the original tank, runs to the ground.

-Robert

Troll

1st thing is to determine where the fuel is coming out when you fill it, second is to be sure you have an atmospheric vent that won't leak fuel

rwantin

Sorry for the delay, this stupid work thing keeps getting in the way!

Should I try venting the second line to the ground?  Re-route it to the overflow vent to the upper part of the tank?

Thanks for your patience.

-Robert

Troll

All you need is an atmospheric vent, fuel out, fuel in and a couple of overflow lines for the area under the cap and the sender "just in case"

rwantin

Thank you.  That is very helpful.  Good to know on that sending unit line.  I was like, what the heck?

I have no problem with removing the tank.  The fuel does appear to be coming from the red return line which is routed down to the ground.  There is a line at the front of the tank up near the top which both tanks have (and I have hooked up), I'm guessing that's for slosh or overflow.

I noticed when swapping the pump both the the red and the blue have steel lines internally in the tank.

I'm studying the diagram - wonder what would work short of buying those evap components.  I'll have to think this through some more, and welcome any other thoughts.

Again, MUCH appreciated.

And I know I probably shouldn't worry about the bother thing - and get this is a forum.  It's just a weird one, and just my luck I ended up with a Cal-spec tank.

-Robert

Troll

I know it's a pita, but you will have to raise the tank up enough to see under it and put in some fuel. The fuel gauge sending unit hose is an overflow if the sender leaks, and on mine, it just goes out to the atmosphere through one of the three hoses clamped by the oil filter. The hose at the rear of the tank is an overflow from the cap area. Here's a diagram of the california emissions hoses

DC

CDNRatMan

8) rwanting, please do not fret about asking questions, it just makes the 1500 crowd think and ponder, and they love a problem to solve....... :o

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

rwantin

Hi again,

And again, thanks for the guidance.

I attached a line and blew through the single vent on the original tank, with medium resistance.  Identified the exact same resistance on the new tank, and capped off the other.

All seemed well until I added some gas.  A small pool formed below the bike.  It stopped once I stopped adding gas and closed the cap.  The bike runs fine, and no gas from the bottom.  In some wishful thinking, I hope that was just from adding gas to a brand new tank.  I just stopped at the station to fill up, more pooling at the bottom of the bike, bigger.  I stopped before I could get two gallons in.

Rode it home, popped the cap, nothing.  Started it again, nothing.  Started it with the cap open, nothing.  It appears to happen only when I am adding gas.  So I am thinking along these lines.

-Swap the line?  This doesn't seem right, as the resistance is exactly like on the original tank.
-Vent the second line to the ground?
-Do something with this mystery line to the plastic cap on the sending unit?  Cap it?  Put it on the second vent?

Sorry about the bother, really want to make this tank work.  Any thoughts way beyond greatly appreciated.

-Robert

rwantin

-Robert

Troll

Blow through each one and find the one that most closely works the same as the original tank, and seal off the others

rwantin

Quote from: Troll on September 08, 2016, 18:45:15 PM

California emissions tank....You only need one vent to the atmosphere

Thanks!  Cap one off? 
-Robert

Troll

California emissions tank....You only need one vent to the atmosphere

rwantin

Hi, so I've been away a bit, and playing in the garage a lot.

I've been working on a vibration issue, something I posted a little while back (I'll follow up if this pans out).  Someone had suggest a fuel/fuel filter issue, which seemed to have some merit - there's rust in the tank (someone sadly had probably not stored properly), and what came out of the fuel filter wasn't pretty.

So as I was contemplating treating the tank (which has a few scratches, soft dents, and the aforementioned rust), I came across a brand new one, factory sealing, box, but with a dent, maybe a dealer take-off of some kind.  Knowing someone that could fix the dent (he did so perfectly), I bought it.  And I am thinking all kinds of awesome thoughts.

So I'm swapping everything out today and noticed something.  The NEW tank has TWO vent/evap lines at the back, the OLD one has ONE, and another line that strangely went to the cap on the sending unit.  I placed the sending unit cap on the old one for a visual.

Now I wish it was as simple as just placing both lines at the rear of the new tank (they are different diameters, the sending unit cap line being larger), but I don't think I could be that lucky.  Or if I am, please tell me so.  Do I cap one off?  I was in the shop manual, it shows two lines at the rear, but not what I have.  Strange.

I was grateful for all the advice on the previous post, and would welcome any here.  I'd love to get this back together again soon.

Thanks so much (in advance).

-Robert

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk