Reduced Reach Seat - by Indian Motorcycle 2879578

Started by RockinRollin, January 10, 2016, 20:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JagLite

That's disappointing.
For you and them.
I am making custom mounts for my Singh solo saddle for a similar problem.
The mount supplied for the front puts the seat too far back.
It leaves a gap from the tank to the seat that is rather ugly but worse it puts me too far back for comfort.
My arms are stretched out too much, and I am 6'-4".
I compared where my butt is on the stock 2-up seat and the Singh solo and it is several inches difference.

I spent hours trying to make it work using the supplied mount before deciding I was going to have to make my own for the front and the rear springs.
I have a welder so it will only take time, but for someone who expects it to bolt on and work, it may not be okay.

Attitude:
The difference between
Ordeal and ADVENTURE

bambam0099

I ended up returning the seat (in a VERY unconventional method I might add) to Heathers Leathers.
This entire fiasco began at end June 2015 and I eventually had enough.
Worst experience I've ever had...never again...glad it's over.
Great looking product but,,,,,,,,,,,not worth the bull
(and yes, I've retained every email correspondence so there would be no question if this comes up again in the future)

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
- Ronald Reagan

bambam0099

Ok, I was able to put on the seat today.  I have to admit, what a pain.  I had to take off a side cover so I could get my hand underneath the front of the seat to put on the 2 nuts onto the 2 studs that go thru the metal bracket that is bolted where the stock rubber grommet for stock seat goes.  And that was hand tight because I will need to put a washer or 2 under the bracket because the front of the seat presses down on the gas line which, obviously, you can have or you'll crush it when riding.   I can't imagine what it would be like if you broke down on the side of the road.  There seems to be a larger than expected gap between the front of the seat and the tank (or maybe I'm expecting too much?).  I'm going to send a few pics to Heathers Leathers to get their feedback.  Hopefully there is an easier way to attach this and to fill in the gap.

Youtube links to the install process:

https://youtu.be/Rv-QRtxefew
https://youtu.be/vt-pbY6H8hU
https://youtu.be/X77zPk0jhrc
- Ronald Reagan

bambam0099

Quote from: greenbarn on February 18, 2016, 19:56:45 PM

Can't wait to see that one on the bike!   Wow, 29 weeks... You could have had a kid by now or something.... :o

I went and did a test fit.  When I put it on the bike as is, there was a very large gap between the front of the seat and tank so I slid the mounting plate forward and put back on.  OF COURSE my phone went dead and I couldn't take pics afer readjusting.   There was still a gap but it didn't appear anywhere near as bad.
Heathers Leathers is sending me the front mounting bracket which should be here by end of week so I will remount next weekend and of course, take new pictures.
- Ronald Reagan

greenbarn

Can't wait to see that one on the bike!   Wow, 29 weeks... You could have had a kid by now or something.... :o

No Worries

bambam0099

Got the seat back today but it was missing a front bracket so I contacted Heathers Leathers again.
Here is a picture of the underneath of the seat.  In the front, you can see the 2 bare studs where the front bracket should be.
Maybe I'll grab some rags and small pieces of wood to protect the tank and see if the rear of the seat bolts up.
Cripe, it's been 29 weeks since I began this fiasco.  I'm hoping to end it soon.

- Ronald Reagan

bambam0099

Quote from: RockinRonny on January 25, 2016, 04:50:58 AM

....Would love to see BamBams seat installed when it happens and get some feed back as to how it fits ( height).....

Supposed to be arriving today.  If it does, I will try it out either tomorrow or Saturday (the bike is in storage) and get back to you here...
- Ronald Reagan

tj

Quote from: bambam0099 on January 14, 2016, 13:47:51 PM

Yes.  I ordered a seat from Heathers Leathers (pic to follow) that I sent back for a little tweaking but, they made a seat pan that they say will fit a 40's (or was it 50's?) Indian.   It didn't bolt up to the "normal" hole that the stock triangle bracket bolts to but rather, to the frame.

If you want to know more, contact Wayne at Heather Leathers and tell him Joe Beaton referred you to him.  And BTW, they make awesome seats and other products!

That's a great looking seat!

DC

Quote from: greenbarn on February 07, 2016, 00:00:18 AM

I agree with that... Seems like the Drifter is farther ahead of the new Indian in more ways that one....  They put a clutch cable on there too.....

I think they are trying to hang on to the past and also save money at the same time.  The Drifter is definitely ahead of the new Indians, at least until they start maturing the product line. . . . if they even do.

greenbarn

Quote from: DC on January 25, 2016, 08:57:14 AM

It's too bad they didn't make the new Indians liquid cooled.  What a missed opportunity and a flub!  I think the Scout is the only one they went in that direction on.

I agree with that... Seems like the Drifter is farther ahead of the new Indian in more ways that one....  They put a clutch cable on there too.....

No Worries

DC

It's too bad they didn't make the new Indians liquid cooled.  What a missed opportunity and a flub!  I think the Scout is the only one they went in that direction on.

RockinRollin

Going on a well reserved Holiday (says me) so I will leave the seat decision until I get home. Would love to see BamBams seat installed when it happens and get some feed back as to how it fits ( height).
Now that the Indian bags on the way I would like to try and match the Indian desert tan color which the Indian reduced reach seat does but I'm sure the custom seat company's would come close?
Really love the look of the Indian bags.

I get a chuckle when I look at the picture of the Vintage Indian, there's this young fella with an afro in the right side, back ground drooling over the bike. You can read his mind - " Man I would make that bike look so good if I was on it!" 

pcarrell

CDNRatMan

Can we build one for PC on his Drifter and let him test it........

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

greenbarn

I like both of those seats--  The Heather's looks more vintage of course, and like some others I would hate paying that much for the Indian seat...

PC:  the electric plug is not for heat---  It's for the air bag system--- new safety feature from Indian?   Haven't heard of it?  I think if the bike's computer detects a pending crash, the air  bag goes off and ejects you above the crash scent- and then the parachute in the Indian accessory biker jacket ($1499) deploys and brings you down safely on your feet....
No Worries

RockinRollin

bambam0099

Quote from: RockinRonny on January 14, 2016, 20:48:37 PM

Now that's a cool seat! I think you and I are around the same size height wise. I think the easiest way to get lower is with the seat. How does this one sit, lower than stock seat? Did the seat come with the rails?

I won't be able to compare the seat height until I get it back and installed.  Yes, the seat rail was attached to the metal base pan that they made.  I will tell you, the seat and pan together is H E A V Y!!!!   Very well made.  Can't wait to get it back and on the bike.
- Ronald Reagan

RockinRollin

Now that's a cool seat! I think you and I are around the same size height wise. I think the easiest way to get lower is with the seat. How does this one sit, lower than stock seat? Did the seat come with the rails?

bambam0099

Quote from: RockinRonny on January 10, 2016, 20:07:41 PM

Has anyone ever attempted to put an Indian seat on a Drifter? How about this particular one? I have to make a seat decision soon and this is about  $140 more than a Corbin but very cool.

Yes.  I ordered a seat from Heathers Leathers (pic to follow) that I sent back for a little tweaking but, they made a seat pan that they say will fit a 40's (or was it 50's?) Indian.   It didn't bolt up to the "normal" hole that the stock triangle bracket bolts to but rather, to the frame.

If you want to know more, contact Wayne at Heather Leathers and tell him Joe Beaton referred you to him.  And BTW, they make awesome seats and other products!

- Ronald Reagan

chief

I think cost kills this as an alternative for me.

Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

pcarrell

The back looks to be nearly done!  The red circles show that a screw hookup is already there, and all that's left to do is see if it lines up with our bikes, and at most, make a new bracket to fit in there.

The trick is going to be the "horn hook" part in the front, shown in the yellow circle.  It looks like those square parts might have to be clearenced, but the real trick is having something for the bolt and washer on our bikes to grab onto.

It might be easier to go all old school on the front half and install a hinge that bolts to the seat, then remove the bolt and washer on the bike and screw the hinge in there.  Then it's a solid attachment in the front, and it just hinges down to where the back brackets line up and can be screwed in for positioning.

I noticed the wire going to the seat.  I'm guessing that's for a heated seat?  It'd be easy to wire that in and put it on a spst switch in the handlebars to make it a working seat.

All in all, this looks doable to me!

RockinRollin

I got a few images from underneath the bottom of the seat pan from a vender who was kind enough to add them to his ad. I would have to measure the width of the seats I think. It almost looks doable.

chief

What PC said. If we can get a picture of the seat pan we might be able to work out a method for installation. The real problem is most of these seat attached directly to the rear fender which will obviously not work for us.

Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

pcarrell

The bottom of that seat pan will be the key to knowing if it can be made to fit.

greenbarn

Quote from: RockinRonny on January 10, 2016, 20:07:41 PM

Has anyone ever attempted to put an Indian seat on a Drifter? How about this particular one? I have to make a seat decision soon and this is about  $140 more than a Corbin but very cool.

That's a really nice seat, Ronny. I'd like to see how it mounts up.....
No Worries

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk