does this sound right?

Started by Brent Duncan, August 10, 2013, 21:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent Duncan

OK, it has 27500 km on it so relay not that much. it does quiet down when warmed up and I'm pretty sure its just me and not realizing how noisy the single cam and hydraulic lifters are.
I'm aware of it but not stressing over it now as i just account it as the personality of the bike.

Mak

What mileage have you got?

Before you panic unnecessarily - just before the chain auto adjusts it starts to rattle and nock and it sounds like the whole thing is about to blow up?

Here is what I experienced when it happened the first time - It started with the usual cold engine start-up noise not disappearing.  It was so bad that I even spoke to a mechanic re fixing "something" and that I would drop off the engine.

I didn't dare starting the engine for about 4 month (ok I wasn't home either) but I had to do something and started the engine - geez it rattled & knocked.  I figured let it rattle - if have to pay a mechanic what's the diff between a little broken or all the way.

Maybe it'll help ya
Mak
After 15 mins - all rattle stopped immediately and the engine ran nice and smooth

Brent Duncan

Thank you for your input, much appreciated friends put me at ease thank you

CDNRatMan

SilverBack, know what it is like, I was reading all the books and stuff about my 800 and once I hit the 30,000 mark I was sure I heard the valves and went in to have them adjusted as per the manual. The local mechanic told me it sounded just right to him and that the valves were sounding all right and the bike sounded nice and tight like it should. So I went to Kingston, and back and have added more kms yet and it sounds the same, and this winter during down time I'll get them adjusted.

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

Brent Duncan

you guys are funny lol, its on Kawasaki Synthetic but im going to switch to amsoil first oil change since my company has an account and I can cheaper than Kawi synthetic. I think its just me honestly, just noisy lifters and I am paranoid lol.

CDNRatMan

he is from Edmonchuck he understands....and you are out in the mountains

49Reo

For your info, both my garage and shop are heated;mind you, the shop is kept at about 35-40* F  until I go out to work/putter, then on goes the wood stove....and I usually end up snoozing in my chair in front of it, so no work/puttering...

Btw, talk about hijacking a thread.... :D

02 Drifter 1500, 02 Softail Frankenstein Trike.."Beauty" and "The Beast"

"If you don't believe your country should come before yourself, Ya can better serve your country, by living somewhere else."  In memory, Stompin' Tom Connors
RIP

CDNRatMan

little man with the hammer inside the engine has moved out

he never left he died because you did not keep him in  a heat garage and he  froze.

49Reo

At the risk of repeating myself,(which I am,) I have much less noise and much less clutch drag (clunking in to gear hard when cold) since switching to Kawasaki synthetic oil. Won't go back to dino oil. I can leave it parked all winter, start it up in the spring, no unusual noise. (little man with the hammer inside the engine has moved out) ;)

02 Drifter 1500, 02 Softail Frankenstein Trike.."Beauty" and "The Beast"

"If you don't believe your country should come before yourself, Ya can better serve your country, by living somewhere else."  In memory, Stompin' Tom Connors
RIP

greenbarn

Sounds pretty quiet to me... ;D

What oil are you using?  I've read a lot on here about noisy 1500s, and many have an oil recommendation to help 'er run quieter.

The 800s don't seem to have the noise issue, at least not what I've read or seen (or heard)..

No Worries

Brent Duncan

cant upload the file its a mov :(

draconarmy

file doesnt seem to have uploaded?

thats the feed me or push me light

Brent Duncan

ok im thinking its just me and its the single cam on the vtwin drifter on the 1500, but it almost sounds like a ticking on the verge of a knock in the lower engine case mostly on the right side of the bike. but here is a clip for sound purposes, maybe its just me lol but advice please.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk