Wobbly fork covers

Started by drifter-paul, July 15, 2012, 05:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drifter-paul

Thanks Troll,

Will adjust that a mm.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Troll

There are 2 clamps on the fork legs that control the ultimate height of the leg in the triple clamp. The service manual calls it a spacer. It has 2 bolts securing it. According the the manual, the measurement from the top of the tube to the upper face of the spacer must be 244.6 mm. The spacer against the inside of the cow bell is what holds it in place. The 244.6 mm measurement is the control for the fork tube height in the clamp.

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

drifter-paul

Thanks Troll, both forks are short by the same amount , more than a mm , less than 1.5.

The cone shaped covers(narrower at the top, than the bottom) between the upper and lower triple trees are secured by the black screws and tabs as you have mentioned.

However, I'm interested in the cylindrical ones under the lower triple tree  ?

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Troll

There should be 2 black phillips screws one on each upper cover, that keeps them from turning. Look down at the bottom of the cover for a tab, and a hole that corresponds to it in the lower clamp cover...The fork tubes MUST be equal heights in the upper clamp.

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

drifter-paul

Have put the front forks back in the triple trees  as part of a major overhaul.

Do the soup can covers immediately under the lower triple tree normally rotate freely - part 44033-1241 ?

I pushed the forks up as hard as i could but could only get them 1 - 1.5mm from being level with the top triple tree, instead of 0 - .5mm as per manual.  How critical is it to have the fork ends level with the top ?

This could explain the looseness, but they resist being pushed further up. I did not notice during dis-assembly, if they had movement.

If the cans usually move, then I'll leave the forks as they are. If anyone can give their's a twist to confirm - I'd much appreciate it. Thanks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk