Hypercharger on my 800

Started by Master Gates, June 17, 2010, 09:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramakins

If your talkinf bout a slit like opening located @ the rear bottom of the hypercharger, my guess is thats a water outlet for when riding in rainy weather. Your engine vacumm controls the opening and closing of the butterflys, hence, the more gas u give it, the more they open letting more air in.

rderricknc

The opening and closing of the flaps is controled by a vaccum line. The milk bottle should be connected to a nipple coming out of the back hole.

topherloaf

I am not totally sure about that.  I don't have any clue why there'd be holes out of the back of a hypercharger.  I've only seen two versions at the most so there might be more out there I just don't know anything about. 

Master Gates

this one has an opening out the back, (discovered as I was looking around there as I had oily spatter on the side cover and was concerned about where it was coming from....previous owner must have oiled up the filter way too much) so theres no way it can be forcing air into the intake when the bike is driven at speed.  Also, what is controlling the opening and closing of those two fins?  Why Even have those fins at all?

topherloaf

A hypercharger basically shoves or "rams" air into your intake by funneling it through those two holes and trap doors.  By doing that it adds more horsepower due to the amount of air letting the engine breathe better and do it's thing.  It's like when you see those hot rods with super chargers back in the day that stick way up out of the engine or a "ram air" intake on cars and trucks like Mustangs etc.  That's the simple answer anyway.

Master Gates

My 03 800 had a hypercharger on it when I bought it, and other than looking decent, I cannot figure out exactly what this thing is doing - in particular the fins that open and close.  Why do they need to have those moving fins, and what is the purpose?

This bike came with a bunch of stuff on it that the first owner had put on.  I bought it from the second owner, and unfortunately he didnt have any of the stock parts :(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk