Horn Issues

Started by 45 Bravo, September 18, 2011, 21:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

45 Bravo

Yep, it was the fuse, I covered the 2 exposed connectors with tape, and tucked them out of the way.

Then put a new fuse in, and there she blows!

Thanks everyone.

45 Bravo

45 Bravo

Thanks, for the info, I did dive into the headlight. all the connections seem tight.

Yes it did work before the tire change, I assisted in the tire change, so nothing was touched that i noticed. I am inclined to think of the 2 loose wires shorting and eating the fuse, i will check the fuse tomorrow. and let you know. thanks for the input so far..

45 Bravo

chief

Was the horn working  BEFORE the tire change?

Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

Troll

replace the fuse, but don't put the side cover back on until you verify that the one horn you do have works. This kind of circuit is powered on all the time the ign. switch is on, and the handlebar switch completes the ground to sound the horn. If the loose wire contacted something while the power was turned on, it could have popped the fuse, but I think a more likely cause might be a disconnected wire inside the headlight shell. Seems pretty strange that this happened when they replaced your front tire, so, if there is no power at the plugs, then the answer might be hiding behind the headlight. All the wiring for the handlebar switches and the lights plugs together there.

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

griz01

Fuse box is under the side cover attached to the coolant overflow tank; one screw and two push clips hold the side cover on. There is one fuse for the horn, if wires are hanging loose the could have shorted and popped the fuse at some time.

1999 Drifter 1500

45 Bravo

Hello,I just recently adopted a 99 drifter into the family.

We had a new front tire added yesterday. (at the local cycle shop)

Now the horn doesn't work, ( haven't found the fuse box yet to check if it has a horn fuse)

A shop manual is on the way.

I checked the connection to the horn (there is only 1 horn) and it is connected well, there are 2 wires hanging from the right side, where the 2nd horn was.

I did hook a volt meter to the 2 horn wires but when i pressed the button, no voltage showed..

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

45 Bravo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk