Courtesy of John Abbott
Fitted to the bike, tested, removed, powder coated, lubricated, re-fitted, JOB DONE.
The stand works well and I am very pleased with the final result. To lift the rear wheel clear of the ground requires adjustment to the feet and much more effort to engage the stand, the bike is a heavy beast. To lift the rear wheel easier, the distance between the clamp on the cross tube and the pivot point, where the leg section is attached, can be extended. This would move the contact point with the ground rearward (although this may introduce a new set of problems with clearances). The bike is very "rear heavy" which I find a problem even when using the hydraulic jack. I need to use additional support at the rear of the bike to balance it better. I use the stand mainly for varied maintenance, cleaning etc. When I need to do more serious work I use the hydraulic jack to lift the bike up much higher (as I did to remove/re-fit/photograph the stand).
This build "evolved" as time passed and some modifications were required along the way. If I were to build another, I would certainly make some changes/improvements, after all, the first is a working prototype. I am sure those of you who decide to build a centre stand for yourselves will see ways of achieving what I have done by alternative methods.
Having taken the photographs and writing this description of the build process, I will add some measurements to help anyone who would like to attempt the build.