Rear Rack for 800/1500 solo seat

Started by OR Seedman, June 14, 2017, 19:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aimee.L

Keep the shiny side up :)

OR Seedman

Went on a 230 mile ride yesterday with a buddy of mine.  Used the new rack/backrest setup.....all I can say is "WOW"....talk about comfortable, especially when using the highway pegs....not once did I get any back strain or feel the need to stop and stretch (not so with my co-rider on his Harley Road King..50 miles a stretch was all he could do without stopping).  Should make longer runs much more enjoyable... 8)  Plus the rack is a good place to set your skid-lid during a break :-)

OR Seedman

Aimee.L

OR Seedman

sounds good.  will get the order in tomorrow.  I will most like order 2 sets of each to start.

OR Seedman

Aimee.L

I am 100% interested in the luggage rack and backrest mount. The sadllebag mounts that were already on the bike are identical to yours so I should be all set there.

OR Seedman

Aimee

I will take orders for them and have them made....at this point, I only have the prototypes that I am testing to make sure that they work correctly....so far, everything is working well.  I believe that the current design is functional and will work for 99% of buyers....so if you are interested let me know and I will get it ordered tomorrow from my fabricator....if anyone else is interested, I will need to know asap...

I need to know exactly what interested parties need:

Bag mounts?   I currently have 1 new set in inventory, but it is listed on ebay...to be sold on a first come basis.....new ones take about 3 weeks...
Rack (bags mounts required) - will have to order  take about 3 weeks
Backrest Mount (rack and bag mounts required) - will have to order---3 weeks

I have decided on the following pricing:

bag mounts - here they are $100    on ebay they are $110
Rack - here $90    on ebay will be $100
Backrest mount - here $40 with hardware - ebay -$45 with hardware

I have to charge more on ebay to cover their selling fees.....

Still working on a similar rack design for the 1500...

I did spend the extra money on a quality backrest pad from Mustang.....not model specific....any backrest pad with a hard plastic or wooden back-plate can be used.  1" wood screws will mount it up just fine.  The Mustang backrest I got actually has nut inserts in the wood back plate....the center one lines up with either the top hole or the bottom hole in the mount, so I use it and just one wood screw....can mount it either up higher or down lower...depending on the rider' preference....plus the rack can be adjusted up or down as well (4 sets of mounting holes for adjusting the height when attaching to the saddlebag mounts)  I used longer saddlebag bolts on the top holes held tight by nuts and then attached the rack and tightened down with lock nuts.....that way I can take the rack off without totally loosening the saddlebags, if necessary.

OR Seedman

Aimee.L

I'm hoping you still have them when I get the money together. I have been stalking all your posts on the rack and backrest lol. Hopefully next week I'll be ready  ;D

OR Seedman

there are two mounting heights for the backrest pad...I have it on the higher one in the picture....it can move down on the mount about 2 inches, and the rack adjusts a total of 3 inches up or down.  lots of positioning for just about anyone's preference....

I get back spasm in my rib cage area (old lifting injury) so I like the pad up a little higher....

OR Seedman

CDNRatMan

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

OR Seedman

some new pics with a Mustang backrest pad....this will be my default setup for daily riding....it's soooooo comfortable that I could fall asleep on it...

OR Seedman

OR Seedman

thanks....yeah, it won't work with the springer seat (I took mine off to mount the rack and backrest).  I only use my springer seat for local riding..when I am going on a longer ride, I swap it out for the oem seat (which I had re-foamed with a gel pad and memory foam).

OR Seedman

mittico68

Now that is a tremendous thing!!!
Well done and one-of-a-kind job!
I'd buy one, if only I had a OEM single seat...

I love my swingin' bike!

OR Seedman

OR Seedman

OR Seedman

I am going to list the items separately and as a full setup in the classifieds.....I will leave the selection of the backrest pad up to the buyer...there are 4 mounting holes and just about any style backrest will attach....pricing will be as follows:

Saddlebag mounts (required for the rear rack)  $100 plus shipping
Rear Rack - $100 plus shipping (requires saddlebag mounts)
Backrest  mount (rear rack required) - $45 plus shipping (includes stainless steel hex head mounting screws with lock-nuts)  Does not include backrest pad - buyers can pick their own to suit their individual tastes.  There are 4 mounting holes in the backrest mount to use for attaching the pad.

Full setup - bag mounts, rack and backrest mount - $230 plus shipping ($15 savings of individual pricing)

I am working on a backrest/mount design that does not require the saddlebag mounts, but getting it to look halfway acceptable is proving difficult....I am trying to hide the frame under the seat part-way when coming up from the mounts (mounts in the same holes as the saddlebag mounts) so it doesn't stand out so bad....the one I am working on for the 1500 is similar to the Wompus rack, but not nearly as fugly....will have the same top as the 800 rack....with mounting holes for the backrest mount.  I need someone to give me the exact measurements of the mounting points for the 1500 under the seat (outside to outside and inside to inside) so I can get the design completed.  Also, how far under the seat the rearmost mounting hole is on each side (exactly from the back of the seat frame/base).  so...any 1500 owners out there that are interested in this type of set-up...get me the info... ;D

OR Seedman

Aimee.L

Came out awesome. I can't wait to order one

OR Seedman

so...the new rack design with the detachable backrest mount for 800 Drifters has come in.  I attached the whole setup to my bike with the hard bags.  I have a crappy backrest pad on there right now but have a much better one on order (should be here in a couple of days).  The backrest mount is adjustable forwards and backwards about 3".  I have it in about the middle of the range.  Also, the new rack has 4 height settings....I have it on the second from the highest right now....may lower it another notch...anyway....it is sooooooooo comfortable!....I can't wait to go on a longer ride using the highway pegs....keeps my arms from having to hold me up when I want to lean back and relax..

The top of the rack has multiple mounting slots (for looks, too) and the four pre-drilled holes that the backrest mounts to from underneath (hidden).  I need a couple of shorter bag mount bolts on the right side (I only had a couple of longer ones to use for the added thickness of the additional rack).  My trunk will mount directly through the slots with lots of adjustment available frontwards and backwards....but right now I am leaving it on the 2-up seat/rack.

I also got in my swing arm back mounts...I will set those up after my next road trip down the coast in a couple of weeks.

here are a couple of pics.....sorry about the finger in the top left....I am using a different phone since my other one got all squiggly..

OR Seedman

OR Seedman

yeah...I am actually starting to get into new ideas for luggage racks and backrests for the solo seat setup....mainly because the Corbin seat with backrest is sooooo expensive.  We need options that don't break our banks....

So, the ideas I am working on are the swing arm bag mounts, a rack that attaches to the saddlebag mounts that fits an adjustable back rest, and a solo seat rack/backrest that does not require the saddlebag mounts...it would attach at the same points, but curve up and turn into a rack behind the seat....kind of like the Scootworks setup but most likely half the cost... ;)

OR Seedman

mittico68

Lots of good ideas!
So, I think it's becoming your new job. Maybe not profitable as the present, but surely it's much more funny, isn't it?
BTW, Happy 4th of July to all ya American Fellas!!!

I love my swingin' bike!

OR Seedman

so...I am still working on the rack design and I have ordered a universal backrest with mount from JP Cycles (made by BDD) to use with it.  Here is the link:  http://www.jpcycles.com/product/105-535?redirectedKeyword=105-535%20&totalResult=1

I am going to have the rack specs designed so that this backrest can be attached for solo seats.  At least it will give buyers the option to mount a backrest using the stock solo seat.  As soon as the seat comes in, I will take it over to my fabricator and make sure it will fit on the new design.   I could have a custom logo cut into the rack..if anyone has any ideas, please let me know...

One other thing I am working on is a swing arm bag mount that utilizes the same mounting holes on the 800 as the saddlebag mounts.  it will be mounted the same way and have a triangular mounting surface that sets the bag about 1" over the double stack exhaust and just behind the seat....will cover about the front 1/3rd of the rear fender.  it will be universal so you can pick practically any swing arm bag you want (even ones with a water bottle at the front).  I will have the design ready to go into prototype tomorrow.  Let me know if there is any interest in these as well.  I am definitely going to get a set made no matter what....I will post pics when they are done and have the bags mounted on the bike....

Happy 4th of July to all our American Drifter riders....And all others as well   ;D

OR Seedman

OR Seedman

so...I have a picture of the prototype rack for the 800 and 1500.  I do need the exact distance between the saddlebag mounts I sell here on a 1500....I believe it to be narrower than on the 800, but I am not sure.  Anyway, here is the layout.  the top rack part will be 10" long by 8" wide.   Overall height is 11.5" and there are 4 height settings, with the lowest providing minimum fender clearance.  Any input is appreciated...

OR Seedman

OR Seedman

Since I very quickly sold out of the 800 bag mounts, I put a new order in...I will be going over next week to check on them and will get a look at the new rear rack/mount design.  I have some pretty specific design specs for them to work with....the guy that CADs them out is really sharp, so I am hopeful...

OR Seedman

Aimee.L

I look forward to the pictures. I'm currently looking for more storage options.

geewago

I would like to have a seat rail for a 800.  Apparently there's  no such thing.  I'll probably just make something myself.

OR Seedman

Hello everyone.  I have had several inquiries again for the rear rack I was having made for the solo seat  800 and 1500.  Unfortunately, the chrome rack portion is getting harder to source at a decent price, so I have come up with a couple of options.

1.  I sell the rack mount only and the buyer supplies the chrome rack.  The rack mount would sell for $85 plus shipping.  Fits the Standard Harley Style FL Chrome racks.
2.  I am designing another mount that is a little taller (would have 4 mounting heights) and the top is laser cut with slots to look like a flat rack.  No tabs for mounting the chrome rack.  Mounting height can be increased a little to offset the loss of the chrome rack.  I am waiting on a prototype and cost, but it will be very similar in price to the regular mount....maybe $5-$10 more....but you save the cost of getting the chrome rack.

As soon as I have the prototype, I will take some pictures and post them.  I would like to see if there is any interest in one like that before I have some made.  They would be made out of the same thickness steel and powder-coated.  There are optional colors available for powder-coating if someone is interested.

I am thinking that the new style would look similar to the factory style rear rack I have seen on some 1500 models....but much more sturdy...

OR Seedman

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk