Excitedly New Here! New Hampshire

Started by Aimee.L, May 16, 2017, 08:02:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CDNRatMan

Mr. Zoar, Sir:
As my learned college Senor Mittico68 has said, the 99 Drifter 800 was not imported into the US as the American's thought the 800 was too small. The 800 came in 2 colours, the SunBeam Red, and Pearl Burnish Beige. From my understanding there was something like 900 were made for each country, Canada, the UK, Europe, and Australia, and the same with the 99 1500 which only came in one colour, the Deep Gooseberry blacked out version.
http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/historyp3.html
This is just what I have understood from my reading and listening to others about the subject. So a 99 Drifter 800 in the US of A is a rare bird for sure......

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

mittico68

Quote from: Zoar on June 27, 2017, 12:16:23 PM

What is so special or rare about a 99?

Just curious.

I have a 2002 Drifter 800 and I like it. A lot.

As far as I know, Kawasaki started to export the Drifter in the USA only from the 2001 year, and it was the chromed version.
The 1999 version is all blacked (it's got a 2up seat) and it's been exported to Canada and Europe, just like the one I've got (bought in Italy back in july 1999).
Just my 2 cents...

I love my swingin' bike!

Zoar

Quote from: Aimee.L on May 23, 2017, 12:57:37 PM

Thanks, I definitely will. :) you are fortunate to have a 99 in the US from what I have been reading. Being in Manchester we might cross paths seeing as I frequently go to MOM's to meet up with my husband. You probably have even talked to him if you've gone to MOM's. He's Steve in the Indian showroom.

What is so special or rare about a 99?

Just curious.

I have a 2002 Drifter 800 and I like it. A lot.

greenbarn

Welcome to the forum Aimee.  Great looking bike!!   I think it's really cool you have a Drifter and a new-model Indian in the family....    Keep in mind the Polaris Indian is sort of a Drifter Tribute bike...  ;D

No Worries

Pete

I see a very handsome bike there. Is that the accessory tacho mounted on the handlebars? If so it's the first one I've seen fitted.

Ride safe, live long and prosper.

DC

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new ride.  You've come to the right place!

Aimee.L

Quote from: Ontargetbill on May 23, 2017, 16:34:06 PM

Yup I know Steve he knows my bike as well. I bought at mom's.

I'm down there most Saturdays.

Awesome! Such a small world :)
Keep the shiny side up :)

Ontargetbill

Yup I know Steve he knows my bike as well. I bought at mom's.

I'm down there most Saturdays.

Aimee.L

Quote from: Ontargetbill on May 23, 2017, 12:23:21 PM

8)Hi Aimee,
Welcome and it's good seeing another New Hampsterites on the board. I'm Ontargetbill and live in Manchester, NH. I own a 99 1500 drifter and just love it. Your 800 is very nice and if you find another 800 in our neck of the woods let me know.

Thanks, I definitely will. :) you are fortunate to have a 99 in the US from what I have been reading. Being in Manchester we might cross paths seeing as I frequently go to MOM's to meet up with my husband. You probably have even talked to him if you've gone to MOM's. He's Steve in the Indian showroom.

Ontargetbill

8)Hi Aimee,
Welcome and it's good seeing another New Hampsterites on the board. I'm Ontargetbill and live in Manchester, NH. I own a 99 1500 drifter and just love it. Your 800 is very nice and if you find another 800 in our neck of the woods let me know.

Aimee.L

Quote from: mittico68 on May 21, 2017, 12:25:42 PM

I think a indian headdress would be definitely better...

Lol definitely a great idea. I might Havre to work on that :)

mittico68

I think a indian headdress would be definitely better...

I love my swingin' bike!

Aimee.L

Quote from: CDNRatMan on May 20, 2017, 21:20:21 PM

:o love the hair do....lol...bike looks really nice.....

Lol, thanks. All my helmets have the mohawk. The blue matches the pinstripe on my 250. I'll need to get a red one to match the drifter pin stripe. I also have gold for when I do the charity run for my late nephew who was a Bruins fan :)

CDNRatMan

:o love the hair do....lol...bike looks really nice.....

Aimee.L

Was able to bring my baby home last night. Absolutely in love with this bike! Except for not being able to get my leg over the backrest, lol. It's pretty comical watching me get on this bike.

Aimee.L

Quote from: Pilgrim on May 18, 2017, 19:37:02 PM

Just look at that..you couldn't even get all that into that SUV parked behind it.

Once you get used to riding the 800 you will probably sell that 250. The 800 is sweet.
I ride a 1500 but have owned an 800 also.

I'm sure I will eventually. Part of me is still very attached to the 250 because it's my first bike and it is surprisingly fun as hell. Also for now it has more storage options then the 800. There is a little part of me too that likes the idea of having 2 so if I have to work on one of them I still have something to ride, lol.

Pilgrim

Just look at that..you couldn't even get all that into that SUV parked behind it.

Once you get used to riding the 800 you will probably sell that 250. The 800 is sweet.
I ride a 1500 but have owned an 800 also.

Aimee.L

Quote from: CDNRatMan on May 18, 2017, 18:53:53 PM

8) Pilgrim, if I remember correctly between you and GreenBarn you had enough for a kitchen sink in Maggie Valley. Ok so :

Aimee, due to arthritis and back issues when I travel I do the motel camping shtick, and yes I pack comfortable, after having my full face helmet stolen off the bike in Maryland, for which I have unfriended the entire state. I found this fantastic sissy bar pack, and I have my sidewinder saddlebags for trips. I carry a 1 gal gas can in my saddle bags, just in case. I also have 2 fuel cells in the side of my seat for an extra 60 oz of fuel. I also carry my full face helmet because I am a candy ass and do not like to ride all day in the rain and not be protected. I also pack my rain gear for the same reason. I can carry more than enough to be on the road for 30 days and be comfortable.  First two pics are of the new sissy bar pack and my saddle bags then the third is the fuel cell.
Amiee be ready for the people that just want to mess with us good people....lol.......

Normally I would do cabin or motel as well, definitely for long trips. This trip in particular is a women's ride out and camp event with tent as the only on site option. My body can still rough out a tent weekend here or there and I figured the experience would be worth it. Your setup is definitely great but for me right now the drifter has only the solo seat and bags with no rack over the fender. So for now I'm much more limited on where I can put things. Moving forward as I work on setting up my luggage options I will take your setup for ideas. I would love to do something similar but figure it out with the solo seat and backrest. Oh and Maryland isn't a necessary friend anyways! Lol and no candy ass, I wear my full face at least 90% of the time and a 3/4 the other 10%, to each his own,  :D

CDNRatMan

8) Pilgrim, if I remember correctly between you and GreenBarn you had enough for a kitchen sink in Maggie Valley. Ok so :

Aimee, due to arthritis and back issues when I travel I do the motel camping shtick, and yes I pack comfortable, after having my full face helmet stolen off the bike in Maryland, for which I have unfriended the entire state. I found this fantastic sissy bar pack, and I have my sidewinder saddlebags for trips. I carry a 1 gal gas can in my saddle bags, just in case. I also have 2 fuel cells in the side of my seat for an extra 60 oz of fuel. I also carry my full face helmet because I am a candy ass and do not like to ride all day in the rain and not be protected. I also pack my rain gear for the same reason. I can carry more than enough to be on the road for 30 days and be comfortable.  First two pics are of the new sissy bar pack and my saddle bags then the third is the fuel cell.
Amiee be ready for the people that just want to mess with us good people....lol.......

Aimee.L

Quote from: Pilgrim on May 18, 2017, 17:12:28 PM

Ratman will show you how to pack an 800 with a months worth of supplies.. :D
He has traveled many miles on his 800.

Lol awesome! I look forward to his tips and tricks. This will be my first weekend camping trip so I got 1 big dry bag for most of my stuff. If I was going to try to fit it on the drifter I would probably have to individually bag the gear and strap it here, there, and everywhere lol. Right now the bags on the drifter are smaller than the ones on my 250 and I can't utilize the fender the way it is. So unfortunately I have to stick with the 250 for this trip.

Pilgrim

Ratman will show you how to pack an 800 with a months worth of supplies.. :D
He has traveled many miles on his 800.

Aimee.L

Quote from: Pilgrim on May 18, 2017, 14:49:58 PM

That litlle Drifter looks good..has all the right stuff on it. You will enjoy it. Welcome to forum.

Thanks, it has everything I could possibly want except for a luggage rack of some sort. I'll eventually have to figure larger storage for camping trips but for now I still have my 250 with just enough storage for my trip that's coming up.

Pilgrim

That litlle Drifter looks good..has all the right stuff on it. You will enjoy it. Welcome to forum.

Aimee.L

Great thanks, I'll look into it. Not sure what I'll be able to pull off this year but I definitely have lots of trips to plan next year.  :)

CDNRatMan

Aimee:
on FB and we seen each other. Welcome to the forum, fantastic place and really nice people, even the 1500 group are nice people. I am hosting a Drifter event in North Bay Ontario if your interested to ride up here for a visit.

http://drift-in.org/on2017.html

enjoy your ride.......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk