Thump in front suspension.

Started by Tumminelli, July 21, 2017, 20:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tumminelli

When I beat on the fender with my fist it all feels tight. As far as the suspension being too tight now since he changed the the fork oil and adjusted the suspension, it had improved some. So I don't think it is too tight.

As far as the tires, I believe I put 40 lbs in. I'll double check. Speaking of tires they are original. Still have lots of tred and no dry rot.  Maybe the rubber just got hard over the years. Maybe just time to replace them anyway.

The shop that worked on it for me said I could drop it off and he would go through it again for me no charge.

Thanks for all the input. I'll keep you posted.

Tfrank59

Here's another question and I hope it doesn't sound like a dumb one but what are you running for tire pressure in the front? It may not be the total problem but would contribute if it's too high

Tom

'06 Drifter 800, '98 Valkyrie

"HD: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the pesky effects of horsepower."

Tfrank59

Well to me it sounds like your forks are just too stiff. Why did they change to a higher viscosity oil--wouldn't that make them stiffer?  I haven't done anything with my Drifter suspension, but I know with my other bike the amount of oil and its weight is crucial to getting the right amount of dampening in the front forks (and not too stiff). And just a few ounces too much oil in the fork tubes makes all the difference. it seems like possibly the shop messed up on that. Just a guess.

Tom

'06 Drifter 800, '98 Valkyrie

"HD: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the pesky effects of horsepower."

Troll

Rivets on the front fender to internal mount bracket? Anybody check those?

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

Tumminelli

Hi. Have an 01 800 drifter for about a year now and only has 7000 miles on it. When ever I hit a manhole cover or bump in the road, the only way I can explained it is it sounds like a thump. Like the headlight, windshield and road lights are shaking, but the all tight. I've hit the same bumps with my buddies honda shadow and no thump.

Had the shop ( second one) change the fork oil to higher Viscosity and adjust front and rear suspension. He checked all the specs and it is all perfect. It still does it. The bike is smooth as glass otherwise.

Is this just the way these bikes are or is he missing something?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk