K & N filter?

Started by Tfrank59, February 19, 2017, 10:41:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tfrank59

Funny I just went out in the garage poking around and I found a spray bottle of K & N air filter cleaner, and I thought I had some of their oil – now I'm thinking back a few bikes ago I think I had a K&N foam filter for my KTM.  If it wasn't K&N oil I used it was something I purchased at like AutoZone and it did the job just fine.

Tom

'06 Drifter 800, '98 Valkyrie

"HD: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the pesky effects of horsepower."

CDNRatMan

I am not going to say don't see why not, but I bought theirs just because it was on sale....lol...and I bought the big can and shared it.....

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

Tfrank59

Does it have to be their name brand oil or can I use another brand air filter oil

Tom

"HD: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the pesky effects of horsepower."

CDNRatMan

Just remember to get the K&N oil to prime it.......

Tfrank59

okay, just ordered a K & N and to my surprise got it for $45 (not 53) with free shipping. 8)

Tom

Tfrank59

yep, you got me there.  guess I'll pony up the 53$ and get one.  at least it lasts a long time.

Tom

Trall

After Rat man and Troll endorsements and info how can you not go buy a K&N filter after reading their reviews. Good stuff.

Quote from: Troll on February 19, 2017, 15:05:06 PM

I have had and currently do have K&Ns in almost  (they don't make a filter for the W-650) every vehicle I own. There is no comparison between a paper filter and one that lets the engine breath. I saw a 10 hp difference on a dyno run of my 98" shovel head, going from a hi-pro foam to a K&N...Your engine WILL run leaner with a K&N than with a paper filter....so you may need to re-jet or raise the needle. The big thing is that if you are currently running on the rich side of perfect, it should correct that for you. They will last forever, and the filtration is far superior to a stock filter. A trip through the Utah red rock deserts proved that to me....red dust in everything, but not a speck inside the filter.....

Troll

I have had and currently do have K&Ns in almost  (they don't make a filter for the W-650) every vehicle I own. There is no comparison between a paper filter and one that lets the engine breath. I saw a 10 hp difference on a dyno run of my 98" shovel head, going from a hi-pro foam to a K&N...Your engine WILL run leaner with a K&N than with a paper filter....so you may need to re-jet or raise the needle. The big thing is that if you are currently running on the rich side of perfect, it should correct that for you. They will last forever, and the filtration is far superior to a stock filter. A trip through the Utah red rock deserts proved that to me....red dust in everything, but not a speck inside the filter.....

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

CDNRatMan

I can only say that I really like my K&N air filter. I am running Roadhouse exhaust, no mods to air box or carb. The K&N filter is really simple to take out wash in soapy water rinse it under a gentle spray of running water, let it dry overnight and spray it with a really light film of oil, let dry and you are ready to ride again, and they last a long time.

Tfrank59

I've never used a K & N on my bikes, mostly because of cost, but how big a deal is it on performance with a drifter 800?  I have custom exhaust and have rejetted my carb, so I guess the only thing I haven't done is the air filter mod or even just replacing the stock element with a K & N.  The cost difference is pretty significant to me: stock $20, K & N $53. 

Tom

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk