Help with stalling problem

Started by Aimee.L, July 04, 2017, 09:52:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aimee.L

I was careful to make sure any disconnected hoses were put back all the way on, but I will try to double check them next time we catch a break from this rain. Every shim need to be at least 2-3 shim sizes thinner. I triple and quadruple checked the clearance after changing the shims because I was concerned about the measurements i was getting from the original shims if I could even get a measurement. Some I couldn't even get my smallest 0.005 feeler gauge in there.

Keep the shiny side up :)

Troll

ARE YOU SURE YOU GOT ALL YOUR VACUUM LINES CONNECTED? DID YOU INCREASE THE VALVE CLEARANCE? IT SHOULD NOT TICK AFTER YOU ARE DONE, UNLESS YOU LISTEN REALLY CAREFULLY. Sounds like you went to the high side of tolerance with your adjustment.

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

Aimee.L

That's what I'm thinking/hoping. I tend to have crappy luck though lol.

Tfrank59

So probably the stalling problem was the petcock to begin with?  Might want to look at getting a petcock rebuild kit

Tom

'06 Drifter 800, '98 Valkyrie

"HD: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the pesky effects of horsepower."

Aimee.L

Ended up getting my valve clearance check and adjustment done. The petcock seemed ok but the bike now won't stay running with the petcock in the on position but will in reserve. Couple of odd things after the valve adjustment. My idle was a little bit higher, of course it could just be I hit it while doing every thing else. The second did thing is the valve clearances were quite a bit out and after adjusting them the motor now sounds kind of tinney to me now. I explained it to my husband as it used to sound like little galloping ponies and now sounds like sprinting tap dancers, lol  :P

Aimee.L

Any suggestions on this rear cover? I've tried every direction and can not clear the chain.

Aimee.L

Nevermind got it YAY!!! Thank you soooooo much!

Aimee.L

what's the best way to greet the tube to stay down without damaging anything. I think that's what I'm stuck on now.

CDNRatMan

Ok valve check is fairly simple, the hardest part is removing the cover on the rear cylinder, just have to be patient and slowly ease it and wiggle it out. Hardest part is if the spark plug tube stays with the valve cover it should remain down. At the time doing the valve check would like you figure a great time to check out the tank and all the hoses and lines to be sure they are kink free and not pinched anyplace. You can also check all your grounds under the tank and wiring. Have fun and enjoy tinkering.....

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

Aimee.L

I was glad to see 2 stores in town carry it here.
Update : tomorrow I'm gonna take a whack at doing my valve check, also grabbed new plugs and a new K&N filter. At the same time I'll check my petcock and get to see what the current air filter looks like. Once it's done I'm gonna add the seafoam to the gas tank and see if that helps. I'll add seafoam to the oil when I'm due for an oil change. I'll see where that gets me and reupdate.

UGLY

Good to see Seafoam. We finally got it in Canada.

BEEN RIDING 58 YEARS. FIRST BIKE 1949 JAMES MY MOTHERS BIKE GIVENTO ME IN 56 OR7.  RODE A LOT OF BRITISH BEING FROM  NEW BRUNSWICK CANADA. LOVE MY 99 DRIFTER 1500. WISH I LIVED DOWN THERE WITH ALL THE BEAUTIES YOU HAVE THERE AT SUCH GREAT PRICES

CDNRatMan

valve check should not take you long to do that and then get the other issue sorted out......

Aimee.L

Actually now that you say that I think I remember reading the same in the manual. I don't fill it into the neck but I fill it close. So possibly except for I made it much more than a few miles both times. 80ish miles the first time and 60ish miles the second time.  It's just about due for valve check so I'm gonna send it in and have them tasks a peek at it as well as pick up some seafoam and see where I'm at.
Thanks a bunch, I knew I could count on this forum for plenty of info.  ❤

2beers

When we got our first Drifter, the PO made a point of telling us not to 'overfill' the tank at the gas pump (blocking the filler neck vent).   He said it would stall without notice after about 3 miles if we did.   Hope the answer to your stalling issue is this easy!

--The Bride   

We've always been car crazy.  We've always been bike crazy.  Most people agree we're just plain crazy.

Aimee.L

CDNRatMan

Also add 2 "glug"s of seafoam and go for a ride and see what happens, if there is any dirt or such in the system this should clean it up.

Aimee.L

Makes sense. I'll check the hose as well and keep my progress updated. ☺

Troll

Fuel tank vent/hoses. With a gravity feed system, if the tank doesn't vent to the atmosphere, the fuel will eventually pull a vacuum in the tank and that will cause the engine to stop running.  I had this exact thing happen to me when I first got my W-650. Fuel tank vent hose was kinked under the tank. Found that and it hasn't happened again since 2009

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

Aimee.L

I was pretty convinced it was some kind of fuel issue but now that you mention the kill switch I remember it acting finicky like a loose connection or just going bad. I'll try checking there first. Thanks
Usually I do pretty good detective work, lol. If I can replicate the problem. Right now im at that annoying stage of its happend but not quite enough to narrow it down.

Also for the other info:
The previous owner traded it in in May and I bought it within a week of it arriving at my husbands work so I'm not sure about his winter storage but judging by his meticulous service records he turned in with the bike I imagine he probably stored it properly. I'll work down the fuel system list after I get the kill switch checked and/or replaced and I'll update this post as I go. Thanks again.

Tfrank59

Well it sounds like a fuel starvation problem. If you can rule out everything electrical like Killswitch and so forth then must be a fuel/air issue there, perhaps something as simple as gas tank vent being clogged.  Or it could be a fuel filter that's clogged or possibly some gunk in your carburetor clogging the Jets I don't know but a little more information about for example how long has the bike been sitting, did you winterize it, have you run some fuel system cleaner through it, changed the air cleaner stuff like that. You're going to have to be sort of a detective eliminating things like that one by one and let us know what you learn along the way.

Tom

'06 Drifter 800, '98 Valkyrie

"HD: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the pesky effects of horsepower."

Aimee.L

So it's only happened twice since May and I haven't figured out how to replicate the problem yet. While riding down the road  (once on side road and once on the higway) the engine just stalled with little to no symptoms beforehand. I pull over it doesn't start back up first try but usually after a min it will start and run fine. This second time on the highway it happened a couple times and then once off the highway it didn't happen again.  But I did the same exact trip 2 days before with no problems. So I'm having a hard time figuring it out because the situation seems different every time it happens.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk