Looking at a drifter

Started by Ryan, May 21, 2017, 09:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UGLY

I have a 99-1500 Drifter on cragslist nanaimo isfanyone interested also a hitch to haul a trailer for same 125 doll just paid 300 with tax from montreal

BEEN RIDING 58 YEARS. FIRST BIKE 1949 JAMES MY MOTHERS BIKE GIVENTO ME IN 56 OR7.  RODE A LOT OF BRITISH BEING FROM  NEW BRUNSWICK CANADA. LOVE MY 99 DRIFTER 1500. WISH I LIVED DOWN THERE WITH ALL THE BEAUTIES YOU HAVE THERE AT SUCH GREAT PRICES

Bucko

Quote from: Rwerner75 on May 23, 2017, 13:18:20 PM

It looks like the "stock" exhaust that comes with it ... has 2 mufflers (possibly from classic) with goat bladder intact.  I'll make sure to get pics up if I grab it.

Yes please take a nice side picture if you buy it and put the 2 muffler exhaust on.  The 2 muffler exhaust is from a Classic -  Drifter came with a single muffler.  I have a dual muffler Classic exhaust that I've never installed and I'm anxious to see what it looks like.  I loved the look of that 2 muffler exhaust on the Classic.

greenbarn

That's a good price for a 1500 if the condition is good...    At that price you could afford to do some work on it if it needed it.

No Worries

Rwerner75

Great, thanks guys. It does come with both seats and pass. foot pegs. I guess the solo seat is tan and the 2-up is black with fringes, both have a back rest too, just need some kind of luggage rack for them.  It looks like the "stock" exhaust that comes with it (roadhouse? is on currently) has 2 mufflers (possibly from classic) with goat bladder intact.  I'll make sure to get pics up if I grab it.  I'm kind of struggling with this decision as I currently have a 09 900 custom with 12K on it, can't keep them both and difficult to think about going older with more miles even though these are pretty bulletproof.  I like the style of both of them.

Ryan

CDNRatMan

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

Bucko

Hard to tell without being there in person, but if it's in reasonable shape, I'd say $2700 is a steal.

Depending on the year, the 1500 would have come either with a dual seat (99, 00) or a solo seat (01 onward).  If the one you're looking at comes with a dual seat, and the dual seat is not currently on the bike, make sure you get all the dual-seat sub-frame pieces which are removed to fit the solo seat.  The sub frame pieces would be expensive and hard to find if you need to buy them (also the rear footpegs if they're no on the bike - 01 and later did not come with rear footpegs but rear footpegspegs from other years fit including Vulcan Classics and Meanstreaks..)

Rwerner75

Ok so I am the OP off this question and have now registered. I went and took a look at this one tonight, it is a 1500 with 40K and it appears to have been kept outside at some point, possibly with a cover, possibly not, the clutch and brake masters are pretty oxidized. There is a boot on the front of the shaft drive that may have been torn or is at least easy to pry back with a finger, not sure if that's normal or not.

He said he changed the battery last year and it looked in good shape, we had to charge it to get it to start but once there was enough charge it seemed to fire up easily.  He also told me he changed the oil, rear brake pads, and bleed the clutch. He didn't change the final drive oil.  The steering felt nice and smooth, and it has tires that are less than a year old and in great shape, he only put a few hundred killed on it in the yeast he had it. The face on the fender ornament is quite yellowed and the driving lights are missing, the posts are there though.

I didn't really take much time to walk around once it was started to make sure all the lights were working and such as my wife and I were in a bit of a hurry but I did the it for a quick spin and it seems solid. I know I'll have to make another trip and take it for a bit more of a ride and a bit harsher eye before I make a final decision.

The price is what really gets me $2700 with both solo and two up seats, and stock exhaust and the one on it with flex pipe over the headers, looks to be a Lindby style engine guard that's on it.

What do you experts think?

Thanks

CDNRatMan

Which one? 800 or 1500.

800 check the chain and sprockets for condition,
check the rear shock for setting and see what the bounce is
Like Troll said check the steering bearings
How easy does it start

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

zig

Clutch springs are the only thing I've had to change. 27k miles on mine.  Good luck

Troll

Steering head bearings, and U-joint come to mind.

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

Ryan

Hi there, I'm looking art getting a 2001 with 39000 miles on it. When I go look at it what should I keep an eye out for? Are there any specific things I should be asking about our looking of something was already done/fixed?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 180 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk