A brand new custom made exhaust for ma-deuce

Started by mittico68, June 26, 2017, 12:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mittico68

The re-chromer is a lad who works for some automotive industries.
He makes works for the private just as a hobby... and it was a friend of mine that addressed me to him.
Now I need to buy some chromed heat shields, because the pipes are starting to blueing... The chromer already told me about that, but I thought it would have take a little more time before then...

I love my swingin' bike!

RockinRollin

Even more impressive now that I see how much work went into the manufacture of your exhaust! Who did you get to chrome the pipes? It was my understanding that most shops that do chrome will not re-chrome exhaust pipes because they are so dirty internally that it pollutes their plating tanks. Good work!

mittico68

Here are some more pics.
The first one shows the junction between the fishtail pipe and the oem bracket.
The second pic is a closer view of the said junction.
The 3rd pic shows the thin gap between the lower curve of the front pipe and the right floorboard base.
The last pic shows the whole exhaust together.

I love my swingin' bike!

mittico68

So, here it come some pics of the mod.
In the first two pics you'll see the two front pipes, as they were when I bought them. The white pipe is what I added, weldin' it to the u joint.
The third one shows the pipes, after being polished.
The fourth pic is a closer view of the u-joint.
The 5th shows the connection point between the fishtail pipe and the rest.

I love my swingin' bike!

greenbarn

Quote from: mittico68 on June 29, 2017, 04:23:10 AM

Thank ya all, for your kind words of appreciation.
If anybody should like to see any details of the exhaust, just ask and I'll be glad to post some pics.

Absolutely post some pics, we like pics....

No Worries

RockinRollin

I wouldn't mind seeing how it was done, just in case someday I get an 800.

mittico68

Thank ya all, for your kind words of appreciation.
If anybody should like to see any details of the exhaust, just ask and I'll be glad to post some pics.

I love my swingin' bike!

kw-retrorider

Mittico: Your 2 into 1 looks much better than those at American Dreams. Nicely done.

Trall

Hey they is one bad machine.  I love the sound and the looks are over the top.   Great work and job putting all that together.   

mittico68

I don't know if they're really Buco's made, but the ad did say it...
I knew about the repos, but as you already said they're way expensive. I prefer to go the other way: a lot of patience, a lot of time and, most of all, a little money! ;)
I love 'em too, and I just can't wait to have them done, believe me!

I love my swingin' bike!

RockinRollin

Royalite Bubble bags! Very retro, Elvis had them on his Harley. You can get new reproduction ones but again they are not cheap.

http://www.bbreproductions.com/photos.htm

They will be the talk of the town when you get them installed.
Here's a Drifter with Bubblebags, only problem he has them too high to clear the exhaust and the shocks.
Did Bucos make these way back?
Love these bags!

mittico68

That's what I've been thinkin' about, too.
And I'd have liked to grab a nice pair of bags like those in that pic, but they're VERY VERY VERY (VERY!) expensive... so I ended up by going with these:

I love my swingin' bike!

RockinRollin

Another thing I was thinking if I put Bucos on a Drifter is to put the signal lights on the bags where the reflectors are and eliminate the signals on the Drifter.

RockinRollin

That is awesome! One of the reasons I didn't get an 800 is because most of the exhaust systems forced the bags too high which in turn hides the natural curve of back fender. I wanted to buy a second bike (800 Drifter) and put Bucos on it but didn't know how to manage the exhaust system so the bags could be low enough to see the natural curve of the fender. Can't wait to see yours with the Bucos on it!

mittico68

Quote from: RockinRollin on June 27, 2017, 10:13:08 AM

Quite impressive! Nice job. Does the exhaust sit lower than the original?

Yes, it does. That's because it's half tall than the OEM exhaust, even though this allowed me to use the original bracket, the same.
And for the bags, that's another story... this winter I finally bought a nice pair of original 50's buco's saddlebags: since they're not in great shape, I have to wait until I'll have some more spare time, before put them on. And, BTW, I'm still waitin' for my local bender to fab the new brackets: they're designed to let the curve of those bags match that of the rear fender.

I love my swingin' bike!

RockinRollin

Quite impressive! Nice job. Does the exhaust sit lower than the original? I ask because it looks lower and would allow for a set of bags if one wanted to install them without having to raise the bags too high. I like seeing the top of the back fender if it has bags. Not saying you have to put bags on it, in fact it looks great without.

mittico68

Quote from: kw-retrorider on June 27, 2017, 03:51:44 AM

Marco....molto bene!  Nice neat installation. Sounds nice too.

Thank you, bud.
To tell you the truth, I would have liked a little more a different solution for the 2 in 1 junction, just like that one made by American Dreams (take a look here: https://japan.webike.net/products/20193302.html). But if I think about the half cost it took me, I guess I can be very proud of the final result!

I love my swingin' bike!

kw-retrorider

Marco....molto bene!  Nice neat installation. Sounds nice too.

mittico68

Thanx guys, I do appreciate your consent.
BTW, I forgot to mention that I've had to grind off the lower back end of the right floorboard base, just to be able to accomodate the front manifold pipe... I don't mind of that, because the difference from the left floorboard basement is quite invisible to see and, most of all, the mod absolutely worth it!!! ;)

I love my swingin' bike!

greenbarn

No Worries

Old Drifter

That came out great Marco and the sound is awesome. Nice job!

Gene

1999 Drifter

mittico68

Hi guys, I've just finished today with the last in time mod: a new custom made exhaust!
So, I'd like to share it with you all.
Take a look over here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgaSCjjJSG8
It took me a total amount of $390 circa (€350): I bought a second hand manifolds (they're from a 800 Vulcan Classic) that the PO had modified in a 2-1; then, with the helpin' hand of a friend of mine, I've soldered to it a piece of pipe I ripped from an old car; finally, I've added the fishtail muffler that I had bought on e-bay.
I took the bike on the road and, MAN!, the results are incredible! I mean, the new exhaust not only improves the style and the sound of my bike (BTW, now she growls like a big bad tiger... I hope you can hear it from the video), but it even improves the performance: now ma-deuce responds more immediately to the accelerator and it's much faster then before!
I haven't had the chance to make instrumental measurements. That's just a feeling that I've had just by ridin' her.
Believe me, I rode all the way with a big big smile on my face!
I love my swingin' bike!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk