Drift-in 2011

Started by TerryG, August 03, 2010, 18:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chief

We recieved a box from Scott with the 50/50 goodies from ROK. Plaques are ordered. Banquet set up ribeye or chicken.

We have 2 rides set up -  1st ride on Thursday to place called the Road Island diner in a town named Oakley, UT, then from there on to Park City, where the riders can mosey around or continue on with the group down I-80 to East Canyon exit, up over the mountains and back to Ogden. It's 149 miles and a lot of twisties and beautiful mountain vistas.

2nd ride on Friday - to Logan, Logan Cayon  to Bear Lake, on to a little town called Randolph, UT and lunch at Gators, back to Ogden along country road to Monte Cristo and Ogden Valley.
Friday night downtown Ogden will be having a car show on 25th street.

Saturday downtown Ogden has a Farmers Market - and suppose to have festivities through out the day. We will have our Bike Show at 3:00p at the Dog Pound, Awards Banquet to start at 5pm at the Days In.

Here is the charity that we chose.

Camp Kostopulos

Since 1967 the Kostopulos Dream Foundation has been dedicated to improving the lives of people with disabilities through the medium of recreation and leisure education. Our longest running program, Camp Kostopulos, accredited by the American Camp Association, is a residential summer camp where kids, teens, and adults with disabilities are able to choose from two options a five day residential camp or travel trips.

Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

chief

Everyone else - consider these tenative plans.  Everything is subject to change.  I called Virg a week or so ago to offer some help with rides, and the current thinking seems to be as follows:

Nothing specific planned for Wednesday.

Thursday - Ride to Oakley for lunch, stop in Park City, return past East Canyon Lake.  Apx 140 miles.  I'll be leading this ride.  We will see some of the early railroad sites, as well as Donner Party Wagon route and Utah Pioneer wagon train routes.   Lunch in Oakley is in a restored 1930's (?) diner that used to be in New Jersey - one of only 6 or 7 still in use.  Kickstands up by 9:30, should be back in Ogden by 3:00.

Friday - Ride to Logan Canyon, Bear Lake and Monte Cristo.  A much longer ride, 250 miles (?).  Logan Canyon is one of better rides in the area.  Bear Lake was the site of several early mountain man rendevous (beaver trapping / pelt trading era).  Monte is a high mountain area that still has some snow (road just opened about 2 weeks ago).  Kickstands up by 9:00, should be back by 5:00.

Saturday - Ride to the Golden Spike site - where the Union Pacific and Centeral Pacific railroads met to complete the transcontenental railroad.  Also will see the rocket display at the plant where the Space Shuttle rocket motors were built.  Not as pretty as the other two rides, but great for the history buff.  There is a fee at the
Golden Spike National Historical Site.

Dinner Saturday night at/near the dog pound in Ogden.

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

chief

Everyone else - consider these tenative plans.  Everything is subject to change.  I called Virg a week or so ago to offer some help with rides, and the current thinking seems to be as follows:

Nothing specific planned for Wednesday.

Thursday - Ride to Oakley for lunch, stop in Park City, return past East Canyon Lake.  Apx 140 miles.  I'll be leading this ride.  We will see some of the early railroad sites, as well as Donner Party Wagon route and Utah Pioneer wagon train routes.   Lunch in Oakley is in a restored 1930's (?) diner that used to be in New Jersey - one of only 6 or 7 still in use.  Kickstands up by 9:30, should be back in Ogden by 3:00.

Friday - Ride to Logan Canyon, Bear Lake and Monte Cristo.  A much longer ride, 250 miles (?).  Logan Canyon is one of better rides in the area.  Bear Lake was the site of several early mountain man rendevous (beaver trapping / pelt trading era).  Monte is a high mountain area that still has some snow (road just opened about 2 weeks ago).  Kickstands up by 9:00, should be back by 5:00.

Saturday - Ride to the Golden Spike site - where the Union Pacific and Centeral Pacific railroads met to complete the transcontenental railroad.  Also will see the rocket display at the plant where the Space Shuttle rocket motors were built.  Not as pretty as the other two rides, but great for the history buff.  There is a fee at the
Golden Spike National Historical Site.

Dinner Saturday night at/near the dog pound in Ogden.

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

chief

Sounds like a very good excuse to me!

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

Troll

I was planning to go, but another thing, an opportunity I couldn't refuse, came up. My second in command at the ABATE rider ed. program and I are taking a 3 day certification class for  a brand new MSF riding course, called the A.R.C. I can hardly wait until I get to find out exactly what I have gotten myself into. It's 3 days long, and supposedly pretty intense, so I'm taking my W-650 instead of the Drifter. From what I have bee3n able to glean from MSF, it has elements of the Military Sport Bike Course, as well as traffic problem solving....I'll let you all know what happens, and try to give a preview, 'cause you just can't know too much...or something like that...

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

chief

Don't have an itinerary yet, but have asked about it. We will post on Drift-In.org when we get it!

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

roughrider

My wife and I started late (we missed the first three or four).....but we have been to the Drift In in Fredricksburg Tx, Bardstown Kentucky, Prairie Du Chien Wisconsin, Eureka Springs Arkansas, North Carolina, (twice) and Durango Co last year. Ridden to all of them but because of the distance involved we are going to have to trailer to Utah this year. Hoping to see all of our old friends (and some new faces)....

1SG CAV

Chief have you heard if there is an itinerary for DI 201 yet? just getting antsy.

Ride With Pride

1SG CAV

I guess I missed the poll. I would have voted YES. I attended 2010 we had a great time with everyone there. The rides were AWESOME. Got to see some beautiful country. All signed up to do it again this year. Hope to see you there.

Ride With Pride

chief

They have a block of rooms available 9th - 17th. People like to come early and stay later. Book by 5/31.

Event is 13-16.  Events page hasn't been updated from last year yet. Awaiting hosts' info.

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

griz01

Ok Help me out here guys, Drift-in.org shows dates for the rally as July 13-16; if you click on Rally Calender on that page it lists events from July 7- 10, Room are Block are July 9-17??? I am SOOO confused Or is it just my dimished capacity?

1999 Drifter 1500

chief

Actually most drift-ons have been closer to the east than the west.

Also there are gatherings at Daytona most years, plus other regional drifter things.

Stay tuned.

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

Redbeard

I'd eally like to go to one... But I'm all the way over here on the right coast. There aren't many happenings out this way that I hear of.  :-[

chief

Have you ever attended a Drift-In?

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

chief

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

chief

Very likely... I'll be doing some research for the Drift-In.org website and will include any of that info I can find. Still awaiting additional info from Virg on this.

Cheer.s

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

1SG CAV

Are there any RV parks close by?

Driftergal1

Hello everyone. Well I have great news for you all. We have a Hotel set up and we can have the "Dog Pound" there also. When making your reservations be sure to tell them you are with the "Drift Inn Rally" to get the discount.

Rally Dates: July 13 - 16 (Room Block July 9 - 17)

Days Inn 3306 Washington Blvd, Ogden, UT 801-399-5671

Rooms: Double or King $55.00, Single Queen $49.00

Cut off for reservations: May 31, 2011

You can request a mini frig/microwave for an additional charge.

This rate includes a continental breakfast/coffee in the room

This hotel has an indoor pool, Wi-Fi, and an area to bar-b-que/picnic

If you have any questions feel free to contact me or Virgil 801-621-7759

We are hoping this will be a memorable experience for everyone. We'll keep you updated as we continue to put this together. Looking forward to seeing each and everyone of you again.

1SG CAV

Yes it is in Ogden, Utah the dates are July 13-16 2011 This was decided at the dinner in Durango.  I was hoping Hillbilly was going to host it in the Ozarks, maybe in 2012.

Mr Bill

Has a location/date been set for the 2011 Drift In yet?  I have to make it one of these years.  Distance has been the determining factor as I am only able to make it a long weekend.
Thanks,
Mr. Bill

chief

Yeah and once things are official details will be on Drift-In.org

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

griz01

My understanding is it is still in the very early stages of planning, will be in Ogden, Utah. The hosts, I believe are Cindy and Virg; they are still working out sites and dates.

1999 Drifter 1500

TerryG

Looked through the pics of the previous event and would love to attend!
Has there been any discussion on location for the 2011 event?

Terry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk