Removing decals

Started by Tumminelli, July 26, 2017, 23:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Drifter

Quote from: Tumminelli on July 28, 2017, 13:14:38 PM

Thank you. I don't want to try it if there is no clear coat under them. On YouTube they show how to scribe a line around the decal then heat with a heat gun and lift and remove.  That was on a honda sports bike I think. It came out great. I'm not sure how it will come our on our bikes. Thanks for checking for m, Paul

Good call. If you don't plan on re-painting or clear-coating, I'd leave them on.
Gene

1999 Drifter

Tumminelli

Thank you. I don't want to try it if there is no clear coat under them. On YouTube they show how to scribe a line around the decal then heat with a heat gun and lift and remove.  That was on a honda sports bike I think. It came out great. I'm not sure how it will come our on our bikes. Thanks for checking for m, Paul

CDNRatMan

:o Sorry you are correct the decals have a clear coat spray over them, I have not heard of anyone removing them but will ask as all the riders are gathering here tomorrow for Rendezvous.

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

Tumminelli

Yes, I have removed the badging also in that manner but I was referring to the decals. Looks to me that they are clear coated over. My concern is that if I heat with a heat gun and remove there won't be any clear coat under the decal.

Has anyone sucessully removed decals?

CDNRatMan

Yup hair dryer, fishing line and a lot of patience and go gone when you are finished then wash well and apply pledge furniture polish. 

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

mittico68

I've removed the tank badges and it's been a smooth and neat job: first I had to use a hair dryer, just to warm a bit the badges; then I passed a fishing wire trhough the back side of said badges and the tank, movin' it up and down gently, 'till the badges came out nicely.
And then I used a sanding brush, to remove the gummy residues from the tank.
Finally, I've put on each side a new decal bought via e-bay. Et voilĂ !

I love my swingin' bike!

Tumminelli

Has anyone attempted to remove factory decals?  I have an 01 800 and I'm not to crazy about the tan and gold strips on the tank and fender. It's a red bike and I think the all red look of the 03 800 looks much cleaner.

I've looked on line about how to remove decals in general but I'm not sure if I attempted it would there still be clear coat under the decal on our drifters.

Any thoughts?  Paul

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk