Vulcan Drifter Riders

• August 23, 2017, 01:01:08 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you use HOTMAIL and some other email providers, you may not get notifications and registration emails. Let me know if you register and didn't get confirmation.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacement Tires  (Read 77 times)

tnttoolman

• I ride a : Drifter 1500
  • Plus a: Classic
  • VDR#: 1414
  • View Gallery
Replacement Tires
« on: August 12, 2017, 07:52:25 AM »

As a new Drifter owner I am a little confused.  The info on the forums seem to indicate that these bikes use tubes but the websites list tubeless.  1999 1500.  Any input to which tire you like best would be appreciated.  Bike currently has 12000 miles and has Bridgestone tires on it which I assume are original.  Thanks

CDNRatMan

• Sr. Staff
  • I ride a : Drifter 800
  • Plus a: Snow Blower
  • VDR#: 1038
  • View Gallery
Re: Replacement Tires
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 13:20:32 PM »

If you are running stock rims then it has to be tube tires, my own I change the tires I change the tubes and the rim liners everytime, peace of mind issue for me.
GPS is not to get you “THERE”……but rather to get you home from “THERE”

Old Drifter

• Supporting Member
  • Plus a: ----------
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 17:05:58 PM »

As a new Drifter owner I am a little confused.  The info on the forums seem to indicate that these bikes use tubes but the websites list tubeless.    Thanks

Yes the Drifter uses tubes. You can use tubeless tires. As CDNRatMan said it's a good idea to replace the rim strips and tubes when replacing the tires. As someone once said..."Tires are your life man".
Gene

1999 Drifter

tnttoolman

• Plus a: Classic
  • VDR#: 1414
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 22:08:12 PM »

Thank you.

Bucko

• Plus a: ----------
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 02:25:59 AM »

And the rims can be modified to run tubeless.  I've never done it but a buddy of mine has done it (with good results) to his stock Yamaha rims and it's on my to-do list.

chief

• Administrator
  • Plus a: Goldwing
  • VDR#: 1
  • 2002 Drifter 1500
  • View Gallery
    • Vulcan Drifter Riders
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 12:48:04 PM »

You have gotten good advice.

Modern street bike tires are all labeled "tubeless" nowadays. It is really, really hard to find a "tubed" tire. With Drifter spoke wheels you need to use the combination of rim strips, tubes and tubeless tires.

Since are rims are old time spoked rims there are a bunch of holes in the rim making tubes necessary. There are ways to plug up these holes and toss the tubes... but there are problems with that conversion. Some have replaced the spoke rims with other rims to allow for true tubeless operation.

One point to consider... tubed tires are less likely to have catastrophic blow outs. And, you can patch the tire and replace the tube with little reduction in safety, unless tubeless tires.

Slàinte - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500<BR>'02 Honda Gold Wing GL1800 ABS
Pages: [1]   Go Up

ADVERTISE YOUR PRODUCT OR SERVICE HERE!