Few questions for you pros

Started by geewago, July 10, 2017, 22:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CDNRatMan

Zoar: if you want to try something I have been using them for the past 3 years and have been super impressed with the product. I have been using CounterAct Balance beads in my tires and I swear by them. For the $22.00 I pay here there are the answer.

OR_Seedman, we will work something out for our mutual benefit. 

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

OR Seedman

ha ha....I was hinting at Ratman, actually, since he DOES HAVE ONE....I think that we are going to work something out for getting it to me this winter season to use as a template.  I am currently designing and having multiple accessories made for the 800 model....including a new rear rack with an adjustable backrest for the solo seat, rectifier covers (10 on order right now) and swing-arm bag mounts.  Everything is suppose to be ready for pickup on 8/2.  As soon as I have them in, I will take pictures of everything as it mounts on my bike.  I really want a fender guard, too, so that is first on the next list of items....along with a 2-up seat backrest/luggage rack combo.....

OR Seedman

geewago

Quote from: OR_Seedman on July 12, 2017, 20:06:06 PM

I can get them made at a very good price if someone would send me one as template... ;)

Well if I had one I'd sure be glad to help you out.  BUT if I had one I wouldn't have come on here and asked where you get one.LOL

OR Seedman

I can get them made at a very good price if someone would send me one as template... ;)

OR Seedman

geewago

Quote from: CDNRatMan on July 12, 2017, 09:12:29 AM

If you can weld and bend metal I think a good winter project would be to make a few of these and sell them to other members.....

Yep, I could build one of those.  Winter time project.  Would look better though if I had a mig welder instead of this ol stick welder.  Guess I'd better go ahead and buy one of those $600 migs so  I can save $150 on a fender rail.

Zoar

Quote from: grinnell on July 11, 2017, 17:33:37 PM

I can second the impressiveness of the Metzler 888's and will also attest the white wall version are awesome. I too bought my bike w/ the original tires w/ about 90%+ tread (bike only had 1,700 miles) I didn't see any cracking but second season I broke down and got the 888's and am very glad I did. The ride is night and day vs. the stock.

This dam forum! I just want you all to know I just bought and am awaiting delivery on the 888 Metzlers in WIDE white wall.  It is not that the tires that are on my Drifter (when I bought it last year)  are used up, however the bike did skid way too easily, the tires actually feel a bit slippery when stopping. I was waiting to get a solid recommendation on tires and this tread is about as effusive as anyone could get on a set of tires. The 888 Metzlers in white wall sound exactly like what I was looking for. If it wasn't for this forum, I'd probably have Avons or some less than impressive sneakers coming in for delivery and install soon.

Last night I picked up my bike from the shop where I had them to the Inspection and check out some things. My new girlfriend drove me there and had not seen the bike yet! She sings speakeasy blues/jazz and her band's sweet spot for music is 1938-1939.  She looked at the bike and said, "Oh yea. That's it right there."  And on the spot we agreed she needs to do a photo shoot with her and my drifter for her website and maybe CD cover. The bike begs for attention.

CDNRatMan

If you can weld and bend metal I think a good winter project would be to make a few of these and sell them to other members.....

geewago

Quote from: grinnell on July 11, 2017, 17:33:37 PM

I can second the impressiveness of the Metzler 888's and will also attest the white wall version are awesome. I too bought my bike w/ the original tires w/ about 90%+ tread (bike only had 1,700 miles) I didn't see any cracking but second season I broke down and got the 888's and am very glad I did. The ride is night and day vs. the stock.

That's good to know.  I've never run Metzlers but my buddy runs them on his Goldwing and he does about 40,000  miles a year.  I don't think he uses the 888's though.  I believe they are a harder longer life than the ones he uses.  He seems to change about every 10 to 12 thousand miles.  But he wants a soft gripping tire. My Dunlops on the Chieftain went above 20,000 before they needed changing.  But the Dunlop whitewalls are notorious for turning paper sack brown.  I figure I will go with either Metzler or Avon on the Drifter.

grinnell

geewago

Quote from: Zoar on July 11, 2017, 13:43:04 PM

What year and color Drifter do you have?

Did you put bags on it/does it have bags?

Pics?

Yes, this forum is great and most helpful!

Its a 2001 with 22,000.  Seafoam blue and Pearl White two tone.  I found saddlle bag brackets on e=bay and bout some brown leather bags with lots of fringe.  Died them to match up better with the seat.  It has the Zambini emblems on the tank which are apparently worth as much as the bike.  Also has the Indian tear drop headlight. And has the hand shifter. It has been completely debadged,  Every where you look it says Indian.

Sorry I've never advanced myself to the point of taking and posting pictures.  I'm sure its easy, but I've just lived too long without this new tech knowledge and I'll probably die that way.  It is a pretty bike though.  I get about as many compliments on it as I do my Chieftainl

Zoar

Quote from: geewago on July 10, 2017, 22:03:18 PM

I bought a drifter about a year ago.  The tires have 90% tread but they are old.  Plus they had the same size tire on the front as on the back.  Not only that the front tire  has "for rear tire mount only" stamped on the side.  I've got a service manual but it says nothing about original tire size.  What size is supposed to be on a 800 Drifter?  I'm wanting to put some new tires on.

Also I've noticed in pictures a lot of folks have a front fender rail.  I can find a lot of rails for various other bikes but none recommended for the drifter.  Does anyone know where these are available or what type from another bike would adapt easily on there?

I've given up on finding a seat rail.  Apparently none were ever made for the 800.  I'll probably just have to improvise there or do without.   Thanks for any input on these matters.

What year and color Drifter do you have?

Did you put bags on it/does it have bags?

Pics?

Yes, this forum is great and most helpful!

geewago

Quote from: Troll on July 11, 2017, 07:43:59 AM

A true rear tire will have a different tread compound, maximized for tread life, not handling/traction. It USED to be that they were interchangeable, but technology has moved on, and it's no longer the case. Front tires are a different tread compound and tread design than rears.

Kinda what I thought too.  It doesn't seem to handle quite right to me.  May be just because it's old and hard.

By the way thanks to everybody for the responses.

Trall

Pic of 800 with 1500 seat rail.  Also the 1500 solo seat cargo rack mounted on saddle bags on 800.

Trall

Regarding a solo seat for a 800. I've seen two come up on Ebay in the past year. Very rare yet ultra cool.
The solo seat rails were made for the 1500 but easily fits a 800. when I had a 800 I just mounted the front to mounting hoels into the center of the left and right seat brackets with lock washers and it stay in place.  The rear holes I had some horse type tassels held with a small but and bolt to complete the look.  Also had seat fringe the covered the rear two holes for cosmetics.

Never seen fender rail come up. If you like front fender tip. Stark Indian from CA sells one for around 70 and looks great on Drifters.  Just use some fender washers when mounting and I use three dime size furniture pads just inside the three points of tip and push and fit in place. Mark and drill and install with tire on.

Here the 800 I had with a 1500 seat rail.

Also pic of fender tip.

Troll

A true rear tire will have a different tread compound, maximized for tread life, not handling/traction. It USED to be that they were interchangeable, but technology has moved on, and it's no longer the case. Front tires are a different tread compound and tread design than rears.

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

Bucko

It's not that weird to put a rear tire on the front.  The direction of rotation should be reversed.  In the old days, lots of tires could be mounted front or rear with an appropriate rotation arrow for each.

CDNRatMan

The stock tires on the Drifter 800 were  frt: 130/90/16 rear is 140/90/16. I would really consider replacing the tires at this point. Metz 888 Ultra are an awesome tire and come in Wide White Walls. I would also go with new rim liners and new tubes.

Front Fender Guard, if you find one you will have the Unicorn in the house. I ordered mine from Belgium like 4 years ago and have seen none since. You might find one from another bike you can mod to fit or even make your own. 

geewago

I bought a drifter about a year ago.  The tires have 90% tread but they are old.  Plus they had the same size tire on the front as on the back.  Not only that the front tire  has "for rear tire mount only" stamped on the side.  I've got a service manual but it says nothing about original tire size.  What size is supposed to be on a 800 Drifter?  I'm wanting to put some new tires on.

Also I've noticed in pictures a lot of folks have a front fender rail.  I can find a lot of rails for various other bikes but none recommended for the drifter.  Does anyone know where these are available or what type from another bike would adapt easily on there?

I've given up on finding a seat rail.  Apparently none were ever made for the 800.  I'll probably just have to improvise there or do without.   Thanks for any input on these matters.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk