New windshield & new art work

Started by tgoelz, July 07, 2017, 06:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DC

Quote from: tgoelz on July 07, 2017, 06:41:34 AM

Earlier this spring I noticed my old "Rifle" windshield started showing signs of age (11 years) with stress cracks just above the cross mounting bar.  So, I ordered a new "Rifle" windshield but before I would install it, I figured that I should paint the center panel.  So I would not have to try and get my hand behind that panel and clean it.  Well, it took a bit of trial and error before I found a method applying paint on the shield.  The new acrylic paints really don't stick to plexiglass as well as lacquer paint used to.  In the end I did get it done ...  hopefully the attached photos open and they're view-able.   Personally, I think I did a fair job.

Another local PA guy did that windshield painting to his 800.  He was showing it to me over the weekend.  He's on site from time to time.  Maybe he'll post a pic.  It looked really good too.

Rougarou

I dig it! That bullet windshield looks really good.

Q: What do you do when all your friends own Harleys?
A: You ride something classier than a Harley.

CDNRatMan

You might want to travel to the homes of other Drifter owners and paint their windscreens for them at a nominal fee......in your spare time of course.....

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

tgoelz

Paint pen for the outline, acrylic glass paints, applied by paint brush, for the everything else.  Then painted the back side with 4 clear coats to protect from the windshield bag rubbing thru ... also added a piece of plexiglass behind the painting for the same reason.  An evening to paint and 3 days to dry.

Thom

greenbarn

Another personalized touch!   So what method did you use??

No Worries

CDNRatMan

very unique and something to draw a crowd

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

tgoelz

Earlier this spring I noticed my old "Rifle" windshield started showing signs of age (11 years) with stress cracks just above the cross mounting bar.  So, I ordered a new "Rifle" windshield but before I would install it, I figured that I should paint the center panel.  So I would not have to try and get my hand behind that panel and clean it.  Well, it took a bit of trial and error before I found a method applying paint on the shield.  The new acrylic paints really don't stick to plexiglass as well as lacquer paint used to.  In the end I did get it done ...  hopefully the attached photos open and they're view-able.   Personally, I think I did a fair job.

Thom

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk