Vulcan Drifter Riders

• November 20, 2017, 13:08:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you use HOTMAIL and some other email providers, you may not get notifications and registration emails. Let me know if you register and didn't get confirmation.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Off the Bike Lift  (Read 671 times)

greenbarn

• Sr. Staff
  • I ride a : Drifter 800
  • Plus a: Drifter 1500
  • VDR#: 1023
  • VDR#1023
  • View Gallery
Re: Off the Bike Lift
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2017, 20:58:39 PM »

does she sound something like one of these? ;D

(this one, it's the second exhaust he's running)

Yeppers, sounds a whole lot like that blue bike in the second vid.   I'll have to see if I can figure out how to do a short video.
No Worries

greenbarn

• Sr. Staff
  • VDR#1023
  • View Gallery
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2017, 21:07:07 PM »

Looks awesome!  Couple of questions:

• How did you achieve the black wheel and spokes?  Powder coat? Paint?  It seems that you left a strip un-blacked around the outside of the rim - was that to allow for mar-free tire changes?
  • How is the gloss black powder coating (I think I read that) holding up on the exhaust heat shields?
  • Did you consider doing the muffler in gloss black too or were you thinking the gloss black wouldn't hold up to the heat?

Thanka Bucko nand Old Drifter for the compliments.  Bucko to answer your questions: 
-The wheels were sand blasted and powder coated gloss black, then I had my pin-stripe guy hand-pinstripe them.  He's over 60, and he's been doing this for a long time.  He did the pin striping on the tins as well, and also did my 1500 pin-stripe work. 
-the pipes are doing fine so far- I don't think the heat shield will give me problems.  I actually would have preferred the whole pipe, muffler and all, to be the same matching gloss black, however they did not have a "gloss" high-temp black- only the "matte"  in the high-temp.  When I got them back, found out the "matte" also has a lot of texture, which I'm not really nuts about.  Not sure how it will be to keep it clean.  I may have to clean it with a brush, and live with how it turn out, we'll see.  They assured me the gloss would be OK for the shields (they don't get as hot), and actually thought the gloss "might" be OK on the muffler but I made the decision to go with the "high temp" for the muffler. 
No Worries

kw-retrorider

• Plus a: Kawasaki W-650
  • View Gallery
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2017, 03:45:42 AM »

Greenbarn...nice job. Particularly like lots of the little details....rear light set-up and tank badge aesthetics to name a few.

For the greater good: I was also interested in the powder coat in gloss. Last saw you at Drift-in in 2013. I finished the black roadhouse on my 800 with high temp flat black exhaust paint, followed by semi-gloss black engine paint. (rattle can)
- This scheme worked on the exhaust tip, which is showing no degradation
- The canister has a hot spot that is peeling the top layer of engine paint, but not disturbing the underlying flat exhaust paint.
- The heat shields had to be unbent so were refinished with the semi-gloss engine paint and have held up fine.

Exhaust paint good for 1000 degrees F; Engine paint good for 500 degrees F.

So, was your powdercoat guy out of gloss or did they tell you it wouldn't hold up? Anybody ever try black chrome or porcelain finish? No looking to do anything immediately. My experiment largely worked....and a rattle can touch every couple of years is cheap.

Photo below when completed in time for Drift-In 2013. Will follow with a current photo.

RockinRollin

• I ride a : Drifter 1500
  • Plus a: ----------
  • View Gallery
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2017, 07:43:53 AM »

Good job Mr. Greenbarn, now that's a retro bike! :)
And nice tank badge, you make that?

RockinRollin

• View Gallery
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2017, 09:11:39 AM »

When I brought my bike in for the dyno tune up he set my idle and told me the same. (So did the Ratman)

Bucko

• View Gallery
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2017, 12:44:53 PM »

.... they did not have a "gloss" high-temp black- only the "matte"  in the high-temp.

Yes, a durable high temp gloss black seems to be the 'holy grail' of exhaust coatings.

Bucko

• View Gallery
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2017, 12:59:25 PM »

-The wheels were sand blasted and powder coated gloss black,

Were the wheels powder coated with the spokes in or spokes out?

greenbarn

• Sr. Staff
  • VDR#1023
  • View Gallery
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2017, 17:32:24 PM »

I just had them done with the spokes in.  I checked them to make sure they were straight before sending them.
No Worries
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

ADVERTISE YOUR PRODUCT OR SERVICE HERE!