LULL

Started by Zoar, June 19, 2017, 09:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tfrank59

Troll is the man.

Tom

'06 Drifter 800, '98 Valkyrie

"HD: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the pesky effects of horsepower."

Zoar

Quote from: Troll on June 19, 2017, 15:07:08 PM

When clutches start to slip, the highest gears show the symptoms first. Check your clutch adjustment. If the cable isn't completely returning, that will cause it, too

Yea, I love this Drifter Forum.

It has been infinitely helpful.

The issue was the clutch cable. I adjusted it and the problem of the LULL / slipping feeling has gone away.

Hoorah! Yea!

Troll

Quote from: Zoar on June 19, 2017, 18:14:16 PM

I saw a video on it and tried like crazy with the longest 2 pair of needle nose pliers i own but i cannot figure out how to adjust those nuts behind the exhaust pipe. You just can't get to them and turn them. I was sble yo afjust the cluth cable adjuster midway on the cables. I started to back out of the garage and it started pouring. So no test ride until this rain stops. I use Valvoline 20-50 made for motorcycles motorcycle oil.

When it's right you should have about 2mm of free play at the lever.

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

Zoar

I saw a video on it and tried like crazy with the longest 2 pair of needle nose pliers i own but i cannot figure out how to adjust those nuts behind the exhaust pipe. You just can't get to them and turn them. I was sble yo afjust the cluth cable adjuster midway on the cables. I started to back out of the garage and it started pouring. So no test ride until this rain stops. I use Valvoline 20-50 made for motorcycles motorcycle oil.

CDNRatMan

I am going to go way outside the box here and I am not as smart or as well versed in engines and such as Troll or Tfrank59. But when you have time you might want to pull the rear wheel and check the play in your dampers. I found this to be a huge issue with my 800 last summer and this summer no pause as I apply the throttle, it is there right away.
That is just my thought, and yes lube the clutch cable every winter, Zoar do you have a manual? What oil are you using? 

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

Zoar

Quote from: Troll on June 19, 2017, 15:07:08 PM

When clutches start to slip, the highest gears show the symptoms first. Check your clutch adjustment. If the cable isn't completely returning, that will cause it, too

Okay, that sounds like what may be happening Clutch is slipping.

To Check my clutch adjustment I will go to YOUTUBE.

Troll

Quote from: Zoar on June 19, 2017, 15:01:29 PM

Well I tried my best to explain it which is why I said it felt like a LULL... and that it felt like there was slippage, a slow delay in response from when I pull on the throttle and when the tires accelerate. And yes it started only in 4th to 5th. This lull now includes other gears whenever I upshift from one gear to the next and pull on the throttle... and for the first time and ONLY one time I felt it last night when going up my hill to my house. Once was enough for me to say--"wow, I have a problem" and I put the 800 away.

A hesitation is more abrupt when I hear the term hesitation. This feels more drawn out, like in fact something is slipping, trying but not fully engaging,,,, then engaging.... Hence the term LULL verses the term hesitation.

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

Zoar

Quote from: Tfrank59 on June 19, 2017, 11:19:26 AM

I'm having trouble understanding your problem. Lull to me means hesitation. slippage is something different. If there's a hesitation in your engine like throttle response that sounds like carburation. If there's a slippage that sounds like something in the drivetrain maybe your clutch.

Well I tried my best to explain it which is why I said it felt like a LULL... and that it felt like there was slippage, a slow delay in response from when I pull on the throttle and when the tires accelerate. And yes it started only in 4th to 5th. This lull now includes other gears whenever I upshift from one gear to the next and pull on the throttle... and for the first time and ONLY one time I felt it last night when going up my hill to my house. Once was enough for me to say--"wow, I have a problem" and I put the 800 away.

A hesitation is more abrupt when I hear the term hesitation. This feels more drawn out, like in fact something is slipping, trying but not fully engaging,,,, then engaging.... Hence the term LULL verses the term hesitation.

Troll

When did you last check/adjust your clutch? 800s need this periodic inspection. Have you lubed your clutch cable lately? This is another neglected area that could cause this problem

Tfrank59

I'm having trouble understanding your problem. Lull to me means hesitation. slippage is something different. If there's a hesitation in your engine like throttle response that sounds like carburation. If there's a slippage that sounds like something in the drivetrain maybe your clutch.

Tom

'06 Drifter 800, '98 Valkyrie

"HD: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the pesky effects of horsepower."

Zoar

I have developed an "issue" with my beloved 2002 800 Drifter.

The best way I can describe this is there is a LULL or a feeling like things are slipping when I UP shift and accelerate (re-apply the throttle).

It seems to happen primarily when I shift and then RE-THROTTLE, there is a lull or a sensation that things are slipping or not be transferred and there is a less throttle going to the wheels.  That is why I describe it as a LULL.

At first I only noticed this just occasionally (about 200 miles ago) when I would shift into higher gear, like 4 to 5 and applied the throttle. And I barely noticed it. So at first it was so slight I thought it was my imagination.

However now and say 200 miles later after the first time I thought I detected some LULL,  it seems like it happens now when I up shift to any gear and re-throttle, even when I am starting to climb a hill and apply more throttle. This just became "bad" last night. I took her out for a spin and I noticed this LULLING much more pervasive and when I climbed a hill it even did it when it never did do that before last night.

I know the transmission oil and engine oil are the same. I checked the level and it is FINE. (It may be time to change the oil but the level is fine and there is no sudden consumption of oil.

Is this a clutch issue, a carb issue, a transmission issue, an oil issue?

It also feels like I have lost some POWER, some quickness.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk