Vulcan Drifter Riders

• November 17, 2017, 13:34:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you use HOTMAIL and some other email providers, you may not get notifications and registration emails. Let me know if you register and didn't get confirmation.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mutazu hard bags  (Read 1111 times)

OR Seedman

• I ride a : Drifter 800
  • Plus a: ----------
  • View Gallery
Re: Mutazu hard bags
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2017, 19:48:39 PM »

:)  ROFLMAO
OR Seedman

The grass is always greener....in Oregon (must be all the rain)

OR Seedman

• View Gallery
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2017, 21:54:17 PM »

I decided to attempt to get a matching hard trunk to the Mutazu saddlebags.....couldn't get one from them, so I looked around and found one in "Candy Red/Burgundy.  Picked it up for $65.00 including shipping.  I mounted it on top of the rear rack that goes with the solo seat and saddlebag mounts.  The color is a little off, but I am going to get the matching body paint and do it my self later this summer.  I had it mounted with both the springer solo seat and my OEM solo seat.  I used a piece of UHMW plastic between the trunk and the top of the chrome rack to compensate for the front and rear edges of the rack.  It has to sit pretty far forward with the OEM solo seat but not quite as far with the springer, so I made a couple of sets of mounting holes in the UHMW to be able to move the trunk forwards and backwards using the same holes in the trunk...Not something I want to keep on all the time, but since it comes off with 4 bolts, I can use it whenever I need...I took somp pics with it on the bike with both seats....
OR Seedman

Old Drifter

• Supporting Member
  • I ride a : Drifter 1500
  • View Gallery
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2017, 22:25:36 PM »

Looks great, a nice little touring bike complete with tunes. Now you need to go to the Canadian Drift-In.
Gene

1999 Drifter

CDNRatMan

• Sr. Staff
  • Plus a: Snow Blower
  • VDR#: 1038
  • View Gallery
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2017, 22:52:40 PM »

You could go down to Georgia and met with Old Gene and ride up here to Canada and join us for Rendezvous, you have enough storage on that bike for the trip and then some........looks good.....
GPS is not to get you “THERE”……but rather to get you home from “THERE”

mittico68

• Staff
  • View Gallery
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2017, 03:55:27 AM »

That's really a nice combo.
But does it allow you to rest your back while riding? I'm just curious...
I love my swingin' bike!

OR Seedman

• View Gallery
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2017, 07:42:57 AM »

I have it far enough forward that I can lean back into it when I need to.  The pad is not the softest, but when I paint it, I will re-do the pad with some thicker memory foam..I am going to ride with it around town a bit to see how it feels....I can make necessary adjustments to the position after I get a feel for it...I added 3.5" risers with 1.5" pull back. too, and that helps position me better to take advantage of the backrest on the trunk.  I just can turn the front wheel quite are far anymore or the risers hit the speedo casing...but at least now I was able to position the speakers where I wanted them and keep the windshield bag (makes a handy storage spot for glasses and stuff)
OR Seedman

Zoar

• View Gallery
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2017, 15:01:05 PM »

Sorry...worked late today...here ya go.  By the way, I had my springer seat sold...then the guy flaked on me and didn't take it.  My wife told me to keep it because it looks cool and it works around town...so it's back on.  Also, I mounted the war-bonnet light back a little so the face angle on the tank matches it.  I hope it doesn't look too goofy...now I just gotta order the studded lid bibs..

Nice look! 

AND, in part based on your happy experience, I bought them in GLOSS BLACK to go on my 2001.  They just shipped out today.  Mutazu Universal LW Hard Bags Motorcycle Saddle Bag BLACK.

I tried the toss-over leather bags and they just start to look like crap and the scuff the paint... and even though I resisted it, I have succumbed to the hard bags. I know they will conceal that gorgeous rear fender BUT the thing is I always need to carry something and I also use my bike to get things, hardware store runs, cat food runs. etc. My bike is a tool as much as it fun and glorious to ride.

So, it sounds like you could use the mounts they sent you and they actually work on the Drifter 800??!!?

I just want to be certain. I thought you typed that, however I am just double checking.

greenbarn

• Sr. Staff
  • Plus a: Drifter 1500
  • VDR#: 1023
  • VDR#1023
  • View Gallery
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2017, 21:29:08 PM »

Turned out well, Seedman, looks good.
No Worries

Zoar

• View Gallery
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2017, 09:42:12 AM »

I decided to attempt to get a matching hard trunk to the Mutazu saddlebags.....couldn't get one from them, so I looked around and found one in "Candy Red/Burgundy.  Picked it up for $65.00 including shipping.  I mounted it on top of the rear rack that goes with the solo seat and saddlebag mounts.  The color is a little off, but I am going to get the matching body paint and do it my self later this summer.  I had it mounted with both the springer solo seat and my OEM solo seat.  I used a piece of UHMW plastic between the trunk and the top of the chrome rack to compensate for the front and rear edges of the rack.  It has to sit pretty far forward with the OEM solo seat but not quite as far with the springer, so I made a couple of sets of mounting holes in the UHMW to be able to move the trunk forwards and backwards using the same holes in the trunk...Not something I want to keep on all the time, but since it comes off with 4 bolts, I can use it whenever I need...I took somp pics with it on the bike with both seats....

How much clearance do you have between the TOP of your exhaust pipe and the bottom of the RIGHT hard saddlebag? 

A number is fine... but a PICTURE too would even be appreciated also more!    ;)

OR Seedman

• View Gallery
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2017, 16:23:14 PM »

sorry...was out of town for a mini-vacation with friends we only get to see every couple of years.  regarding the space between the bags and the upper exhaust...I have exactly 1" of space (minimum recommended by Mutazu).  I have checked the bottom of the bag after a ride down the freeway and on slower 2-lane roads...might be slightly warmer than the sides....so...that's seems adequate...
OR Seedman

Zoar

• View Gallery
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2017, 09:52:53 AM »

sorry...was out of town for a mini-vacation with friends we only get to see every couple of years.  regarding the space between the bags and the upper exhaust...I have exactly 1" of space (minimum recommended by Mutazu).  I have checked the bottom of the bag after a ride down the freeway and on slower 2-lane roads...might be slightly warmer than the sides....so...that's seems adequate...

Great! Thank YOU!

1 inch it is.

OR Seedman

• View Gallery
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2017, 14:06:53 PM »

When mounting them, make sure you put them back far enough,  I left about 1.5" between the taillight and the bag on each side....I wish now I had moved them back as far as possible.  They are a little bit forward for the passenger on the two-up seat (hits them in the calf a little), but it's okay.  Also, they may look like they are over the fender at rest, especially from the right side due to the angle..but when you sit on the bike, the fender moves up some and then they look really good....

Regarding the mounting brackets that came with the bags....I did not use the brackets...just the bolts and rubber bushings.  Also, I drilled another hole at the bottom back corner of each of my saddlebag brackets so I could use all 8 bolts, bushings and washers/nuts.  just makes them a little more secure.  I also put a spacer between the bushings and the mounts on the lower half of each bag so they don't look like they are angling in (the sides of the bags slope down as the bottom is slightly more narrow than the top).  Just my personal preference...

One thing I did do with the mounting brackets that came with the bags is I used one on each side to stabilize the bags when I have the 2-up seat on with the tour-pak.  I mounted one on each side of the seat to the front grab rail hole and then attach the front top hole on each bag mount to about the 3rd hole down (they actually are threaded so you can screw that one in)  it really keeps the wagging of the bags to a minimum.  I will post pics next time I have that setup on....
OR Seedman

Zoar

• View Gallery
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2017, 13:15:43 PM »

here it is now with the rear rack (at the lowest height setting)

Can you send pictures of HOW YOU MOUNTED the brackets?? Pic of bracket on the bike before you attached the BAGS??

OR Seedman

• View Gallery
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2017, 14:34:19 PM »

Zoar:

not sure which brackets you are referring to.  I use my own saddlebag mounting brackets for the hard bags ( I have a couple of extra sets for different bags).  I followed the instructions that came with the hard bags for putting in the rubber mounting bushings and sleeves.  Since I have the stacked dual pipes on the right side, I put a 1" board on top of the upper pipe as a spacer, then lined up the bag against the saddlebag mount, marked the holes with felt-tip pen and then drilled them in the right side bag.  Then I put the two bags side by side to each other and just marked the holes for the left bag by going through the right bag with the marker...

If you don't have a set of the saddlebag mounts that I sell (formerly sold by Osprey), I don't think you can mount the hard bags.  the brackets that come with them are to mount them on a rigid fender...
OR Seedman

Zoar

• View Gallery
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2017, 14:41:37 PM »

Zoar:

not sure which brackets you are referring to.  I use my own saddlebag mounting brackets for the hard bags ( I have a couple of extra sets for different bags).  I followed the instructions that came with the hard bags for putting in the rubber mounting bushings and sleeves.  Since I have the stacked dual pipes on the right side, I put a 1" board on top of the upper pipe as a spacer, then lined up the bag against the saddlebag mount, marked the holes with felt-tip pen and then drilled them in the right side bag.  Then I put the two bags side by side to each other and just marked the holes for the left bag by going through the right bag with the marker...

If you don't have a set of the saddlebag mounts that I sell (formerly sold by Osprey), I don't think you can mount the hard bags.  the brackets that come with them are to mount them on a rigid fender...

I was referring to whichever brackets you used and since they are YOUR brackets, then those. I was hoping to just see them on the bike BEFORE you mounted the bags TO the bracket. Like a full SIDE shot. With NO bag attached.

My pipes are fish tail type and I am afraid the top fishtail may sit too high (dammit) and I either can make this work on my bike as is with these bags and your bracket OR I will have to replace the Fishtail pipes which is something I was hoping NOT to do. But if I can see where your brackets sit it will help me determine the next step.

OR Seedman

• View Gallery
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2017, 16:21:14 PM »

no problem...will post a pic later today when I get home.  bagless bracket on the right side over the pipes. ;D
OR Seedman

OR Seedman

• View Gallery
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2017, 23:11:10 PM »

sorry...forgot to post the pic....plus my camera in my phone has gone all weird.....won't focus and makes a buzzing noise.  here is the best I could do
OR Seedman

Zoar

• View Gallery
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2017, 12:08:31 PM »

sorry...forgot to post the pic....plus my camera in my phone has gone all weird.....won't focus and makes a buzzing noise.  here is the best I could do

Okay. Now I understand better how you made the brackets. I sent you a PM.

Thanks!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

ADVERTISE YOUR PRODUCT OR SERVICE HERE!