2004 800 drifter bag mounts (new kid on the block)

Started by roger hendrickson, May 26, 2017, 04:47:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roger hendrickson

Yeah, that looks right....maybe an older version with square back corners on the lids and not lockable....

Troll

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

roger hendrickson

I looked high and low, inside and out, top to bottom and I can't find any logo on either bag.  The local Kawi dealer's been in business since the early '70s and he said he'd never seen a set like them. When I've done a search for "drifter 800 stylized saddlebags" I find page after page of pix of owners bikes and only one pic like mine.  The other set of bags I have are embossed with a Vulcan logo and are bigger, so no mystery there.     I haven't really kept up with Kawasaki accessories since 1972 when I bought a new 250 Enduro, so I figured the rear fender package rack was stock?
Also, it came with no service records other than the owner's manual. So, last December the local dealer went thru it for me; it's been jet kitted along with the aftermarket exhaust, but not "grampsized".  (I DID read up on that in here!)

OR Seedman

Looking really sharp!  Are those Saddleline bags?

OR Seedman

CDNRatMan

Nice machine and Roadhouse exhaust so a winner there and a very unique way to mount your rack on the back....

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

roger hendrickson

OK.......got some professional help!   Hope this works.....rog

Quote from: roger hendrickson on June 26, 2017, 19:22:17 PM

Well,....had to get the grandkids to help me on  Paypal......I'll have to draft them again about sending photos!  I don't even have a cell phone....

roger hendrickson

OK.......got some professional help!   Hope this works.....rog

Quote from: roger hendrickson on June 26, 2017, 19:22:17 PM

Well,....had to get the grandkids to help me on  Paypal......I'll have to draft them again about sending photos!  I don't even have a cell phone....

roger hendrickson

OR Seedman

I am glad they are working out for you.  it's really weird on how the two different models sell....sometimes I only get orders for the 1500 model and sell out fast...then all of a sudden, the 800 model is in demand....I have ordered some more 800 sets from my fabricator, as the new ones sold out in just a few days.....but I have been sitting on 3 sets for the 1500 for over a month now (price has been reduced here in classifieds)...go figure.   Anyway, as indicated, we want to see some pictures, please.. ;D

OR Seedman

greenbarn

Hey Roger, how about some pics of those new bags??   We likes pics...   ;D

No Worries

roger hendrickson

Hey, Seedman.....I got the bag mounts on and they fit perfect.  Really high quality fit and finish.  The first set of bags I mounted were the ones that imitate the rear fender style and color.  From a side view they almost disappear!  Thanx again!

OR Seedman

OR Seedman

J.D. Beard II

OR_Seedman, cam you PM me please when you have a spare minute.  I have an idea to bounce off you, i should have asked when i got the bag brackets mounted. Those are perfect by the way!

roger hendrickson

Hey, Seedman.......I got my '90 PC with 6700 miles on it. It started out in Louisiana and migrated up to Jordan, MN. Rode it for eight years and sold it with 44,000 miles. Absolutely loved the "sport-touring" designation, but didn't think I could handle the riding position when I got two new knees......Sorry about being so far off topic, except maybe I never had to worry about saddlebag mounts with THAT bike!

OR Seedman

funny you mentioned a Pacific Coast...that was my last bike before the drifter....picked it up with 9200 miles on it from my mother-in-law.  It was her ex-2nd husband's.  He was a Honda Sales rep and the bike was given to him as a perk...He left it in her garage in Phoenix when they split up.  Sat for 2 years...she knocked one of the mirrors loose with her car (on purpose LOL).  I bought it for $1,000 while we were down there visiting for Christmas one year.  I popped the mirror back on, rented a small uhaul for $125 and hauled it back to OR.  Spent another $200 on carb rebuilds and syncing them.  Road it for a couple years then sold it with 16K on it for $4500....came out pretty good on that one.  I really liked it, but my drifter has a smoother ride and I like being able to put both feet flat on the ground when I stop.

OR Seedman

CDNRatMan

I have ordered a stock chain each time, and really that is the only thing I do not do myself, as I never bought a chain tool.....lol......

OR Seedman

factory 530  x 112 link chain will work with the 18/38 set up as well...at least on mine it did  ;)

OR Seedman

roger hendrickson

Shoulda gotten back sooner.....sorry.   This confuser belched over the weekend!  Thanx for the info, gentlemen.
I've always shot for 50 mpg at 70 mph, (like my old Pacific Coast) so I'll use your info to try for this!

CDNRatMan

OR Seedman

Well...I will refund for the front....Ratman can get the back one... ;D

OR Seedman

CDNRatMan

To be honest, I did the front sprocket alone first, and noticed nothing off about lower end, the 800 does have decent pull for an engine its size. Not the snap of the 1500 but again it is twice the size of engine, but against any other 800 really good, then I did the rear sprocket over the winter, again nothing noticeable in the normal driving of events. I did find that I could cruise along in third at a higher rpm and did not seem to be over burdening the engine, and then in 5th gear it runs like a spring chicken.
I am so sure of this mod and I'll venture to say anyone who has done it likes it and none will say they did not like it. I am even willing to bet that any 800 owner who does the swap and is not happy with it can let OR_Seedman know and he will refund their money for the 2 sprockets......we are so positive....... 8)......lol........ 8)

OR Seedman

I don't really notice any loss at the low end...torque on the 800 is pretty strong...maybe some slightly slower acceleration from 0-45...but from 45-70 seems better...seems to be turning in the power range better at those speeds....

OR Seedman

RockinRollin

I did something similar with a 750 Honda Shadow and lost a fair bit of bottom end, are you experiencing the same loss on the bottom end?

OR Seedman

When I did the 18/38 sprocket swap, my mileage increased from about 41 avg (mixed city and highway) to 48 avg.  I have gotten as high as 51 on all freeway at 65-70.  I also run non-ethanol premium (available locally at 3 different stations).  Cost about $.90 more per gallon over unleaded regular (with ethanol blended), but it definitely makes the bike run better...

OR Seedman

CDNRatMan

comparison between fuel mileage and final gearing:

Well I never kept real track of it, but I know that when I had the stock sprockets (17/40) and the bike was new to me, I was lucky to get 150 kms to a tank before I hit reserve. Then I did the  front sprocket swap, and switched from regular fuel to mid or high test, and then I seemed to get to 170 kms, and then I went to the rear sprocket swap (18/38) and now I am able to go 200 kms before hitting reserve. So between the switching of gearing and fuel type I am sure both have an effect on the fuel use.......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk