Is this mod doable without too much efforts?

Started by mittico68, August 31, 2016, 12:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pcarrell

If you're making custom pipes, make sure that a Mandrel Bender is used or your bends will not be pretty.

CDNRatMan

:o after watching all them bike building shows, and they all build their own exhaust systems, but if you ever notice they never spend any time showing how they actually do build the pipes or bend them is more accurate.
But if you have a knowledgeable pipe bender and person versed in exhaust systems he should be able to build you a really nice set of custom pipes, and then you can use the stock flanges.......

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

greenbarn

Quote from: mittico68 on September 03, 2016, 01:53:32 AM

Yeah, for sure... that's what I'm gonna do!

That's your best bet.  For example, they could easily make that 1.25 to 1.75 adapter, or source it for you.  Either way, make sure it's in stainless pipe, or it won't look pretty for long.
Unless you plan to wrap it or paint it, in which case it doesn't matter as much.

No Worries

mittico68

Quote from: CDNRatMan on September 02, 2016, 12:39:23 PM

Perhaps you might want to find a exhaust place that deals with custom work and ask them for some help.

Yeah, for sure... that's what I'm gonna do!

I love my swingin' bike!

CDNRatMan

Perhaps you might want to find a exhaust place that deals with custom work and ask them for some help.

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

mittico68

Thanks a lot, PC.
I didn't know anything about that!

I love my swingin' bike!

pcarrell

Quote from: mittico68 on September 01, 2016, 06:05:32 AM

That's what I was thinkin' about... but do ya know where I can find it?

Car exhausts do this all the time.  The local auto parts store ought to be able to fix you up.  Just give the part a decent polish to make it look nice, then start bolting things up!

A quick google search had lots of hits: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=1.25%20to%201.75%20exhaust%20adapter

mittico68

Quote from: kw-retrorider on September 01, 2016, 04:35:37 AM

1. This muffler has no bracket, so that has to be fabricated, because you can't just hang it from the down pipes without support.
2. The stock down pipes are not 2 into 1....so they have to be modified as well

Well, for the bracket I was thinkin' to readapt the OEM one...
I forgot to mention it, but I'd like to install 2 of those muffler (one for each pipe)...

I love my swingin' bike!

mittico68

Quote from: Pilgrim on August 31, 2016, 13:55:17 PM

maybe a 1.25 to 1.75 exhaust adapter would work.

That's what I was thinkin' about... but do ya know where I can find it?

I love my swingin' bike!

kw-retrorider

mittico68: There is more to trying to use this muffler....you really need a shop to help you out if you are not a fabricator. The muffler price alone is good, and is a HD style vintage muffler available from lots of places (JP Cycles HD restoration catalog is another source, for instance). On to your project....

1. This muffler has no bracket, so that has to be fabricated, because you can't just hang it from the down pipes without support.
2. The stock down pipes are not 2 into 1....so they have to be modified as well

This is why the set up from Japan costs what it does ..it is plug and play, because the mods have been made.

So, if you find a shop that does custom exhausts, you can get what you need. That said, if you have to pay someone to make all those mods, you'll be money ahead to buy a complete system designed to bolt right up. Good luck

Pilgrim

maybe a 1.25 to 1.75 exhaust adapter would work.

chief

If you can weld, you can do it.  Almost anything is "doable"... the question is the cost, effort and price of making it so.

Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

mittico68

Hi ya all, smart fellas.
It's almost a year since I started to think about swappin' out the oem exhaust with a new (and louder...) one, at a cheap cost.
I'd really like to get that cool exhaust seen at the Webike site (2-1 Gordon fishtail), but it's really expensive...
Now, I came across this muffler (http://www.ebay.com/itm/361447051068?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT) and I'd like to adapt it for ma-deuce.
This said, the matter is that the inlet is way big for the pipe from the cylinder (as far as I know, its dia. is about 1.26", against 1.75")...
Anybody knows if there's a way to solve the problem?
Thanx in advance.

I love my swingin' bike!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk