Self Defense weapon

Started by Troll, September 19, 2015, 21:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troll

Very interesting. Laws being what they are, varying so much from state to state, you'd think with such a big "hunting" population in Wisconsin, there would be more choices. There are very few place, at least within 100 miles of me, to buy a firearm...

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

DC

Quote from: Troll on September 20, 2015, 21:21:59 PM

That's what I figured. I went over to Gander Mountain today and handled one. The price they want for the public defender model w/2" barrel is $100 more than Cabela's for the same gun. I would have to ride about 55 miles to the closest Cabela's to get one. Sounds like a deal breaker...not!..I was looking at the 2 1/2" disc/shot ammo they had on the shelf...They didn't have any .45 LC, but I'm pretty sure Wal-Mart does....Now to get the money together....

I have two Cabellas in my region and I find they are usually higher priced than buying something on Gunbroker.  Plus, they seem to be at the back of the line when things are back ordered.  When I was looking for my FN Five-seveN, they told me it would be an infinite wait for one, as it was heavily back ordered at the time.  I went on Gunbroker and had my pick of brand new Five-seveNs, and at prices beating Cabellas.

Troll

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

Troll

Quote from: 49Reo on September 21, 2015, 21:51:32 PM

Remember.....it ain't real without pics, lol.... ;)

Don't own it yet. Rest assured, I will post pics when I have it in hand!

Troll

Quote from: gdrudd13 on September 22, 2015, 07:47:48 AM

The part about cylinders not indexing happens on all revolvers, not just Taurus. I've seen Taurus, S&W, Colt, all of them not index well or have a sloppy cylinder. before you buy just make sure to pull the hammer back and go through every chamber. Everything should line up, and with the hammer back there should be no slop, or very very little. Never Heard of it accepting 45 S&W, or an adapter for 45 acp, but I've never really looked into it. From my experience, the 45 colt loads will be superior to the 45 acp if loaded with a good hollow point (Hornady makes a good one that I use in my hand loads). Tends to be a slightly heavier bullet with a slightly higher muzzle velocity. But they are more expensive, so practicing gets pricey.

What I read was that it wasn't just not indexing perfectly, but getting stuck about half way. I've had quite a few Rugers and never had any problem like that. In all fairness, it was just one online comment, so I was just checking around. I research EVERYTHING...Spoke to a guy at one of the gun stores who has one and is quite pleased with the overall performance, but he has one with the 4" barrel. I'm not looking for a target arm, but rather one more like my pocket camera...point and shoot. A heavy load in the .45 LC sounds like a good idea, until you look at where I might be needing it ...in a city scenario, over penetration is a real issue.

gdrudd13

The part about cylinders not indexing happens on all revolvers, not just Taurus. I've seen Taurus, S&W, Colt, all of them not index well or have a sloppy cylinder. before you buy just make sure to pull the hammer back and go through every chamber. Everything should line up, and with the hammer back there should be no slop, or very very little. Never Heard of it accepting 45 S&W, or an adapter for 45 acp, but I've never really looked into it. From my experience, the 45 colt loads will be superior to the 45 acp if loaded with a good hollow point (Hornady makes a good one that I use in my hand loads). Tends to be a slightly heavier bullet with a slightly higher muzzle velocity. But they are more expensive, so practicing gets pricey.

2000 Drifter 800

49Reo

Remember.....it ain't real without pics, lol.... ;)

02 Drifter 1500, 02 Softail Frankenstein Trike.."Beauty" and "The Beast"

"If you don't believe your country should come before yourself, Ya can better serve your country, by living somewhere else."  In memory, Stompin' Tom Connors
RIP

Troll

I had a friend in Alaska who told me everybody is REQUIRED to carry....Been checking prices, and with the exception of Gander Mountain ($530), everybody is within $5 of each other..going price seems be $440. I have a couple more places to check, tomorrow.

49Reo

Well one thing about it, in.410 cal. it won't tear your hand off at the wrist,but with those Winchester rounds it would sure cause the recipient a world of hurt, at the minimum. Sure wish we were allowed to carry up here. Instead, or budding wannabe Prime Ministers want to take them away.

"If you don't believe your country should come before yourself, Ya can better serve your country, by living somewhere else."  In memory, Stompin' Tom Connors
RIP

Troll

Good to hear. I've been doing research and there are some comments about cylinder binding and failure to correctly index. If I want accuracy, I have my .45. Llama.  As a quick draw/defense gun, I'm thinking that this might be exactly what I want. We have had the crime rate in town skyrocket in the last year, and it does make one worry about being out and about in what used to be a "safe" town...The PDX carts and now I see that there are a couple of other entries in the market, are what I had in mind. I see that the gun will also handle .45 S&W, and I read somewhere that there is an individual adapter for .45 ACP that works...LOTS of options. In town , I would wonder about the wisdom of the L.C....I owned a Blackhawk in .45 L.L. and it was a good shooter, but the disk/shot carts make this sound like the ultimate "belly gun"...

gdrudd13

I have a Taurus Judge. It's not the public defender version, but has the longer 4"? barrel or something like that. I really like it. It's fun to shoot, and the weight makes the felt recoil less. I actually have it loaded with the Winchester PDX1 rounds when it is being used for home defense (less over penetration). I've also shot it with some .45 colt as well. If you are a reloader, I can send you the load information for those rounds.

One thing I will mention is that if you are not wanting to use the pdx1 round or anything, the .45 Colt seems to be superior to .410 slugs. All of the .410 slugs that I found weren't super heavy, and out of a pistol had disappointing velocity as well.

Also, at least on the longer barreled version that I have, accuracy is very good. I hear people say they're crazy inaccurate when shooting .45 Colt, but I've taken mine out to 25 yards and it grouped very well. It's not competition gun accurate, but it is easily within "minute of bad guy".

2000 Drifter 800

Gooseberrie

Wait until Barry left the White House.
What when shooting hurts...
Build no cold shed or make it a lot shorter.

Troll

Winchester makes it specifically for the Judge and the S&W Governor. Twelve plated pellets and 3 plated discs in a plastic wad cup.
http://www.winchester.com/Products/New-Products/Pages/pdx1-410.aspx    Looks pretty interesting

49Reo

Don't know what 'disc shot' is, but I'm thinking it is similar to what a friend of mine did one time with a 12 gauge; dumped the shot out of it and packed the shell with dimes; one shot wiped out the wall of a shed; I can imagine what it would do to a warm body.....

RIP

Troll

That's what I figured. I went over to Gander Mountain today and handled one. The price they want for the public defender model w/2" barrel is $100 more than Cabela's for the same gun. I would have to ride about 55 miles to the closest Cabela's to get one. Sounds like a deal breaker...not!..I was looking at the 2 1/2" disc/shot ammo they had on the shelf...They didn't have any .45 LC, but I'm pretty sure Wal-Mart does....Now to get the money together....

greenbarn

I don't own one, and have never shot one, but have read good stuff about them.  I always thought it would be a versatile handgun.  You've got lots of choices in ammo - shot, buckshot, slugs, and there are some disc ammo that's pretty good.  Not to mention .45 LC... nothing wrong with that, either.

No Worries

Troll

Considering a new addition to my very small arms collection. When I first started to have issues with carpal tunnel syndrome, I stopped shooting my .44 Desert Eagle.   After I had the surgery, and was supposedly "cured" I found I couldn't pull the slide back to chamber a round. I sold the Eagle, but I kept my Llama 1911 .45  I carry it with me on the road, and it's within 10 feet of me right now...My hand strength is improving after 8 years of rehab, and I'm thinking I want a new hand gun to compliment my Llama....Looking at a Taurus Judge.. probably the "public defender" model with the 2" barrel and 2 1/2" cylinder. Smaller than my .45, and it shoots (for those of you who don't know) .45 long Colt and .410 shotgun shells. There are even new versions of the .410 designed specifically for hand guns.. and of course, it also shoots .410 slugs. I was wondering if anyone knows about them, and has had any personal experience with one. Taurus offers a lifetime warranty on them, so although it probably won't see enough use to wear out, I feel that their willingness to back up their hardware that well makes me feel more secure. I had a good warranty with my Llama, but the company went out of business after like 100 years....BTW, I'll bet I've put close to 1,000 rounds through that .45 with NO malfunctions. Soooo, whatcha think???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk