Everyone does it at least once, right?

Started by Rougarou, September 08, 2017, 13:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rougarou

Quote from: Pete on September 14, 2017, 06:02:27 AM

1) You're not a real biker until you've fallen off at least once.
2) That's what crash-bars / engine-guards are for.

Yep!  As soon as I can get it engine guards will be going on.  I almost don't want to ride until I can get them.  The bike was over far enough to where I almost couldn't roll it back over myself; I think I pulled every muscle in my upper body trying to right it.  Ultimately that's why I haven't been back on it.  Either in the laydown or lifting it I pulled or possibly tore one of the lateral rotator muscles in my upper thigh. It sucks and I'm not sure I could hold the bike up with it right now.
If i'd had engine guards I'd have gotten out of this with a mild case of gravel-rash only. Hindsight is 20-20 I guess.

On the upside my new turn signal came in today. Yay.

Q: What do you do when all your friends own Harleys?
A: You ride something classier than a Harley.

mittico68

Quote from: Pete on September 14, 2017, 06:02:27 AM

So I must argue that I am a super real biker... I've fallen off 3 times in all my biker life: the first time, it was due to some ice on the road; the second, it was because of a sloping curve; the last one, it was for my distraction (I was lookin' at a cuuuute gal...  ::) ).

I love my swingin' bike!

Pete

Ride safe, live long and prosper.

DC

I laid down my old Honda 650 once, and I was doing maybe 5 mph around a curve as I was trying to be extra careful on a wet road after a light rain.  Well, it didn't work.

Rougarou

Totally due to lack of experience, not lack of observation. I laid it down ~15mph going downhill in a 270* left hand turn in 2nd gear, when according to my experienced employee I should have been in first gear and crawling due to the curve.  Swung the turn wide trying not to drag my boards (again), and saw the band of gravel on the outside of the road and immediately began to straighten up...couldn't do it in time.

Spooky thing? I don't know if any of you here are also Christians, but a minute before I laid it down I saw my odometer flip to 25,666.  I said the Lord's Prayer, as I am wont to do whenever those digits pop up in daily life...and laid it down 15-20 seconds after completing the prayer.

CDNRatMan

Well at least you were not damaged other than in your pride and pocketbook which is better than the other result would have been. Ride safe and use your brain and eyes to prevent this from happening again.....

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

Rougarou

Got my MC endorsement yesterday after an all week quest to hit all the right steps in the right order to get street legal.  Starting to get more comfortable on it....and laid her down at lowish speed in (unbeknownst to me at the time) one of the worst curves for motorcyclists in my parish.  By sheer force of will I was able to keep the fenders off the gravel and only earned myself a very tiny tank rash that'll mostly buff out. Handblebar cap crushed, but replacement was previously planned. Footboard is bent and will have to be lovingly tapped back down parallel, but it's earned it's place of honor after I decide to replace it. That board saved the bike. Oh, and the left turn signal is obliterated.

Not counting the lil bit of tank paint work added to my fender paint chip repair in the future, probably ~$100 worth of dmg.  Gravel sucks, y'all.

*removed nonblurred license plate pix...whoops* - just a pic of a crushed turn sig

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk