Mundi Mundi Lookout to Umberumberka Dam

Started by Washbrook, March 17, 2016, 18:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Washbrook

I do a lot of outback trips in my 4WD. The snorkels serve 2 purposes, to get the air intake up out of the way for water crossings, but also to get the air intake up out of the dust which can also be quite bad.

Man of few words.
VROC 35598

CDNRatMan

This was another nice ride, I did notice a couple of vehicles with snorkels, and then the signs, floodway and causeway in hollows, so that explains a lot..lol.....very nice......

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

Washbrook

Our Groups ride from Mundi Mundi Lookout to Umberumberka Reservoir [Dam].

Mundi Mundi Lookout

Located about five kilometres West of Silverton, the Mundi Mundi Plains is a truly breathtaking place. Looking out onto the expansive Mundi Mundi Plains, it's a perfect spot to take in a sunset or picnic. The view must be seen to be believed. The wide, flat heart of the Australian outback extends seemingly forever. On a clear day the curvature of the earth can be seen. Of course, a lot of people have seen the area yet may not realise it, spotlighted as it was in the famous crash scene of Mad Max 2. Sharp-eyed explorers can even find old sets from the movie smattered around.

A filming site for Mad Max. Unfortunately Mel Gibson was not on site during our visit, nor any other of the cast or crew.

Umberumberka Reservoir [Dam]

Located nine kilometres West of Silverton, Umberumberka Reservoir continues to operate to this day. Open from 8.30am until 3.30pm every day, visitors can inspect the pumping station, view the reservoir and enjoy the picnic sites and gardens. Water was in short supply in Silverton's early days. Locals relied on household tanks, wells and nearby Umberumberka Creek for a drink. There was never a lot of rain.

While a flood in the creek did something to ease the problem in 1884, as did a public standpipe erected in the centre of town, Silverton was always dry place. These days the reservoir is a standby facility, adding to Broken Hill's main water supply.

We are glad it is only a standby source of water because it was bone dry for our visit. Dirt and dust!

https://vimeo.com/159425795

Most of the above content is from: silverton.org.au/sights.htm

Man of few words.
VROC 35598

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk