HOW MANY DRIFTERS MADE - Finally an answer!

Started by chief, November 10, 2012, 12:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

werewasi

I'm puzzled by the response of kawasaki Australia's murray sayle who states that after the 1999 model importation, there weren't any later models brought in.
This can't be right.

I have a Drifter VIN JKBVNAR112Axxxxxx and the so the bike is a 2002 model. However Ox blood red and pearl ivory was a 2001 colour. Apparently the tinware and tank was swopped over with a 2001 model at the dealers.

There are two drifters at Grafton but I only know for sure that one of them is in 2001 colours. There is a 2001 drifter currently on sale in Brisbane.

So there seem to be a number of post 2000 models that were sold here.

Bucko

Quote from: chief on June 11, 2021, 15:01:02 PM

...Probably made more in the early years and fewer each of the latter years.

Ya, that's what I was thinking.

chief

Quote from: Bucko on June 11, 2021, 14:13:23 PM

Yes, I read that.  I guess I should be been more specific: I'm looking for a break down of how many 1500 were made for each production year

Ah, I see!  Kaw has been very tight lipped about Drifter production numbers, we had some heavy duty bike people asking. The info from Australia was the first time we got any info on production numbers. Anyway, the bike has been out of production for more than a decade (15-16 years), so maybe they would be more willing to release that information now. I guess you could average it... 9000 /1500's sold over 7 years. Probably made more in the early years and fewer each of the latter years.

Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

Bucko

Quote from: chief on June 11, 2021, 13:48:27 PM

... the total was 18000 globally.

Yes, I read that.  I guess I should be been more specific: I'm looking for a break down of how many 1500 were made for each production year

chief

Read the thread... the total was 18000 globally.

Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

Bucko

Quote from: Tim on March 03, 2021, 13:38:54 PM

Does anyone know a way to get a letter from Kawasaki confirming the number of Drifters made?
I asked their customer help line and they say "because of the competitive motorcycle industry we don't release that information."
TIA

I'm really interested in this as well.  BC's collector vehicle program provides a huge insurance discount for applicable vehicles, typically for vehicles 25 years and older, but they have special provision for vehicles 15 years old when worldwide production was less than 1500 units per model year.  I approached Kawasaki Canada for the numbers but they could only provide the Canadian numbers.  Anyone have an official contact at Kawasaki Japan?

Easy Drifter

I had a momentary lapse of reason a few weeks ago, almost sold Black Bettie. The sale fell through. Returned to my senses. She's not going anywhere,

'02 DRIFTER 800
'23 BOLT R-SPEC
'24 SUPER METEOR 650

Bucko

Quote from: chief on November 10, 2012, 12:12:38 PM

This information is directly from KHI - Kawasaki.

1. ALL Drifters were made at the Akashi plant in Japan.
2. Global Total:  18,000
3. 1500 cc: 9000
4  800: 9000

Canada:
1. Total: 1200
2. 1500: 600
3. 800: 600

Australia:

1. Total: 50 (1999-2000)
2. 1999 - 49
3 2000 -1

The Kawasaki Drifter was imported in to Australia for the 1999 Model Year. There were approx 50 units sold in 1999-2000. There was one 2000 Model Year unit sold, sales were slow of the Vulcan 1500 Drifter model and it was not imported again after 1999.

Murray Sayle
Homologation, Industry Relations & Technical Marketing Assistant
Kawasaki Motors Pty Ltd
Unit Q, 10-16 South Street
Rydalmere, NSW, 2116, Australia
Took a quick look through this thread but didn't find an answer to this ....

Does anyone have a break down of the world wide numbers by model year - i.e. how many 1500's were produced for each model year for 1999 to 1995?

Tim

Does anyone know a way to get a letter from Kawasaki confirming the number of Drifters made?
I asked their customer help line and they say "because of the competitive motorcycle industry we don't release that information."
TIA

facembani223

I've always wanted one of these Drifters

kawasaki.addict

glad my bike is rare as well as badass 03 1500

bikerbob5864

Boscobel?.......isn't there a Big Mouse on the road somewhere around there.....and ad for a cheese place(in Wisconsin!?!?!)
Lots of twisty roads around there. The Wife wants to go to Spring Green(House on the Rock) this Summer. I like up North, .....Tomahawk........areas up there....above Wausau.
Now that is God's country! (along with Montana) Lived there for awhile quite a few years ago......Man!,............if only the Californians hadn't discovered the Rockies..........what a shame.

Troll

I don't write checks anymore, I use a bad debit card...it looks more official and it fools 'em better....You need to check out the Vulcan riders in Boscobel..they have a ride and a meeting on Father's day weekend...nice  ride for you. I'll see if I can find a link.

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

bikerbob5864

Yea..........I like it over by the River..........BTW I like the use of the word, "coveted".........it makes me feel so cheap!!!..................LOL, next thing you know I'll be writing bad checks................

Troll

I make that trip a lot when I have no place else to go...I like the Blackhawk bridge @ Lansing, too...I hope they have both lanes open this year....

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

bikerbob5864

Semper Fi..............Troll......you're not that far from me......a nice day ride and then a trip down 35 to Prairie Du Chein......back across the Big River.........and a nice evening ride home............I'll keep that in mind for the Summer.......I like to visit and wander

Troll

bikerbob5864

Thank You for the Welcome!  I've got two 1500 Classics too.....one is down with a bad bearing, a 1998........and a 2001.........with Roadhouse 2into1 Classic. I just got spoiled by the 1500's and the rest is history!!!.............and here I am!!!!
So far.......I like it here......I've gotten nothing but good vibes from this place....and good advice and info.  Thanks everyone.........

49Reo

I missed out on the Roadhouse Dooleys, by 3 months. Did manage to score a seat rail, though. And now that I have my V&H "Dooleys" (Longshots, one down each side) I'm not disappointed about the Roadhouse. Didn't know the seat rails were going to become extinct when I bought mine or would have bought more of them.

02 Drifter 1500, 02 Softail Frankenstein Trike.."Beauty" and "The Beast"

"If you don't believe your country should come before yourself, Ya can better serve your country, by living somewhere else."  In memory, Stompin' Tom Connors
RIP

Troll

And, besides the ultra rare (now) Roadhouse exhaust, it has the much coveted and unobtainable solo seat rail!!!

49Reo

Nice bikes! And if I haven't said it yet, Welcome Aboard!!

"If you don't believe your country should come before yourself, Ya can better serve your country, by living somewhere else."  In memory, Stompin' Tom Connors
RIP

bikerbob5864

Well!, I'm glad to hear that I purchased a rare bike, as well as a cool one!
I've always wanted one of these Drifters, so when I found this one('02 1500)within 100 miles of me, with Roadhouse Doolies.........I just had to have it!!!! Like the Troll, I'm kinda sorta a recovering Harley Rider. Still got mine, but a few years back I bought a used 1500 Classic for 2up riding and ended up riding it more than my Softail when I was alone. It was just so comfortable.........and reliable......there you have it!!!! Nuff said......So here is my new to me Drifter(found here in the classifieds) and my Softail. The Softail is not even a Harley.......it's a handbuilt, all after-market.
;)

greenbarn

Welcome to the forum.  Did anybody mention,  WE LIKE PICS....

No Worries

CDNRatMan

What a post and no pics, ah but he is from North Battleford that explains a lot, the 99's in both 800 and 1500 were available in Canada as a test market. Even in Canada the 800's were not sought after  like the 1500s, the province with the highest number of Drifters seems to be QC for some reason.
Just my own personal opinion about this is that a lot of people think an 800 is not big enough to tour on, if you ride solo, and ride the speed limit it will more then meet the expectations you are looking for.
Smart idea to keep all the original parts for if you ever return the bike to stock or if not to sell parts to people who are looking for them. Parts are really hard to find and really hard up here north of the 49th.
So cool to met badasscdn54 now another stopping point when I go to visit 49 in the mountains..........

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

49Reo

Welcome aboard!. I have to warn you, though: sooner or later, (sooner, or I missmy guess) someone is gonna say;

IT AIN'T REAL WITHOUT PICS!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

RIP

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk