What is your job?

Started by chief, May 10, 2010, 12:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CDNRatMan

Do you participate in Walking football like my elderly Uncle Malcolm?

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

outlaw

I drive a hgv class 1 lorry ( 40 tonne ) from my plaice of work, to other plaices, and love the job, been doing it for 30 years, been all over the uk doing delivery's.

Zoar

Quote from: RockinRonny on July 29, 2016, 10:39:23 AM

Maybe you haven't seen the Terminator? This how it starts, first they're helping you climb buildings and next they take over the world! All kidding aside that's really cool.

Its a paradigm shifter for sure. US Navy is using them now to decommission submarines in drydock in Seattle. We have sold them all over the world. Japan is our most successful foreign market this far. But we have robots in France, Germany, Italy, etc.

Still, it is slow going, slow adoption and acceptance of robots for field services work. Our competition is ladders, scaffolding, lifts... things that have been around a long time. Most people are afraid of trying something new. But everyday I go into work believing today will be THE DAY someone large like a GE or BOEING start negotiating with us for 8- or 200 of these robots. Every day....

I have put on thousands of technology demonstrations to companies like ALSTOM, BOEING, LOCKHEED MARTIN, CURTISS-WRIGHT, the DOE, The DOD, SwRI, EPRI etc.... they all love it and are amazed at hw well it works and our years of successful case histories.... we just need major adoption and many more robots out there.

RockinRollin

Maybe you haven't seen the Terminator? This how it starts, first they're helping you climb buildings and next they take over the world! All kidding aside that's really cool.

DC

Quote from: Zoar on July 29, 2016, 09:26:20 AM

You many be interested in my Robots. ICM. www.icm.cc

They climb surfaces. They are held by vacuum force so they can climb on nonferrous surfaces or brick or concrete as well as ferrous surfaces. We have integrated many different kinds f NDT technologies onto our robot and deployed them. We have done Nuclear work. We were at Crystal River on their containment dome deploying 3 different NDT technologies to see what one worked best to detect cracks.  www.icm.cc     is the website. You may have to copy and paste it in your browser.

That's interesting.  There has to be a lot of applications for this.

Zoar

Quote from: RockinRonny on July 28, 2016, 09:09:34 AM

28 years in the nuclear industry as a  Vibe tech and for the last 15 yrs as a Infrared Thermographer and ultrasonic acoustic Tech. Hmmm Donuts!

You many be interested in my Robots. ICM. www.icm.cc

They climb surfaces. They are held by vacuum force so they can climb on nonferrous surfaces or brick or concrete as well as ferrous surfaces. We have integrated many different kinds f NDT technologies onto our robot and deployed them. We have done Nuclear work. We were at Crystal River on their containment dome deploying 3 different NDT technologies to see what one worked best to detect cracks.  www.icm.cc     is the website. You may have to copy and paste it in your browser.

RockinRollin

Doesn't ring a bell. What was his job?

CDNRatMan

RockinRollin

Was his name Mr. Burns or Smithers by chance?
I knew a few of the guys that came from Chalk River but they are all retired now.

CDNRatMan

My brother in law worked in Chalk River for a number of years.

RockinRollin

28 years in the nuclear industry, 13 years as a  Vibe tech and the last 15 yrs as a Infrared Thermographer and ultrasonic acoustic Tech. Hmmm Donuts!

Ironworking

Journeyman Ironworker. Tallest building i worked at was 52 floors. Have done a lot of metal fabrication an a lot of mechanic work. Thankfully, i have a decent retirement to live on now. Metal Fabrication is still my greatest love of work.

chief

This is one of those threads which is intended to be ongoing... so old is okay  8)

Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

ElCaminoGuy

I know it's an old thread but oh well. Medically retired from the USAF (MOS/AFSC: Vehicle body/paint and General Purpose Vehicle mechanic:Humvees, MRAPS, etc.) Sold H-D's after that for about 6 months, left there to work as a civilian at Tinker AFB as a Forklift Mech. I didn't have enough exp. on forklifts and we parted ways. Now I am a licensed Mobile Locksmith. Good times.

"Give respect before you expect it. Treat people the way you want to be treated. Remember the mission. Set the example. Keep going."
~Vernon J. Baker

DC

My wives wanted me to retire and I said NO WAY.  Too many bosses at home!  At least at work, I only answer to a few people.

pcarrell

I've been retired for a few years now, but my wife has LOTS of ideas to fill my hours! :D

CDNRatMan

I am now medically retired after 42 years in the Forces,.........now to find something to do and fill in the time.....

DC

Anyone have any updates?

I'm on a new IT project now developing an engineering modeling/simulation platform that aids in the design of large commerical HVAC (50-150 tons) systems.

kawasaki.addict

Quote from: Troll on September 01, 2014, 09:27:21 AM

Somewhere I have a picture from Motorcycle Consumer News that shows a Kawasaki Marine Diesel....Looks like a house, rather than an engine...

yeah those marine engines are for massive ships like the ocean liner freighters they are about twice as tall as the ome in my pic twice as wide an another 10 yards longer ive only ever seen 1 in person big BIG engines

Troll

Somewhere I have a picture from Motorcycle Consumer News that shows a Kawasaki Marine Diesel....Looks like a house, rather than an engine...

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

kawasaki.addict

Yes the piston rings are much larger rhan a dinner plate 4500 horsepower 7000ft-lbs of torque 16 cylinder 2 stroke/cycle engines. They are fun ti work on.

. .

DC

Quote from: kawasaki.addict on August 29, 2014, 10:29:53 AM

Diesel mechanic on locomotives cant beat the view lol

Holy crow!  Look at the size of that engine!    :o

Troll

Thanks... I was supposed to have surgery when I got back from Drift-In, but it's so much better I'm going to put it off indefinitely

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

DriftinGirl

Quote from: Troll on August 30, 2014, 20:39:53 PM

not only hard on the back, but hard on that right shoulder rotator cuff issue I have...but that's getting better, almost by the day. I really think the best thing that happened to that was the ride to/from Drift-In. Held it in the right position for MANY hours

Good to hear r. cuff getting better!

Troll

not only hard on the back, but hard on that right shoulder rotator cuff issue I have...but that's getting better, almost by the day. I really think the best thing that happened to that was the ride to/from Drift-In. Held it in the right position for MANY hours

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk