Fork sludge cleaning

Started by ranxerox, July 15, 2017, 20:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ranxerox

CDNRatMan

I used varsol (lots of it) to clean inside mine, swish it around, pump the tube up and down and yes try and get a pipe cleaner of a round brush down inside to get anything loose then I left them hang upside down overnight.

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

outlaw

The sludge that you talk about is the oil braking down, ( think how many times the spring will go up and down in the forks, ) + if you had a seal go it may take in water on the fork seal, what I have used in the past was a small bit of petrol, shake the forks up and down while pushing the tube in and out, leave to drain the crap out from the tube, then get a rag and wrap it around a stick then use that to clean it out, then put it back together, and ride it.     

ranxerox

Dipping into the knowledge well again, so many thanks in advance.

My right fork seal blew. Not sure why, but I reviewed the manual and got familiar with the process, including buying the tool on ebay.  A quick recommendation on that is the that the handle is basically a 2 foot 3/8" extension.   If you have a couple of longish extensions, then the tool you need to buy is the tip.  Cut's the price in half.

Anyway, on to the reason I'm here.

I disassembled the forks per the manual and I noticed a sludge  in the bottom tubes.  However, in the fork tube that had the bad seal, the sludge was drastically more, in amount and in thickness - goopiness.  I've changed the fork oil twice since I got the bike; the first time for maintenance, the second time to increase the viscosity.  Both times I used Red Line Synthetic.

So -

What is the sludge?

Can I prevent it from accumulating or better yet,  happening again?

What can I use to clean it out?  My first instinct was to hit it with a couple of cans of Brake Kleen, but I know that stuff can be too caustic for many parts.

Thank you again for all the help.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk